Where to get Gentos Lantern

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
The two Rayovacs I got from MorePower (for a very good price) came in very handy when we got smacked by Hurricane Ike. I had them sent to me by MorePower when we were somewhat threatened by Hurricane Gustav, which went in above us. But Ike caught us dead on just a couple of weeks later.

Of the small lanterns I have, I came away feeling that the Rayovac was the best to have on hand. I liked having the Energizer Weather Ready folding lantern as well, but if I had to pick just one of them, it would most likely be the Rayovac.

We got our power back on very quickly after the hurricane, but my parents did not, and they used the lanterns quite a bit for over a week while the power was out at their place. They liked both the Rayovac and the Energizer, but I think like me they liked the slightly higher brightness level of the Rayovac, as I did.

create54321

Newly Enlightened
The Rayovac, Sportsman Extreme (At least at this time), is cool white. It does light a room well but is UGLY to look at.. It is a pale sickly blueish light. There are pictures of the Gentos Lantern on the Flickr Photo sharing site and the Gentos appears to have a pleasing shade of yellow in it's output. I don't know whether they are using different led's in these lanterns or if there is some kind of orange or yellow cap over the emitters in the gentos. I own a Brunton polaris with an orange cap over the light source, and it's color balance is MUCH closer to a pleasing white.

Last edited:

ichoderso

Enlightened

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the warnings:

"! WARNING

• Do not look directly into the LED for more than a few seconds
• Do not allow children to use LED light unless under the supervision of an adult"

Boy, have we come a long way from simple indicator lights!

It does not appear to be warm-tinted.

luminiferous

Newly Enlightened
Order from Battery Junction and take your 5% CPF member discount

Code: cpf2006

If it's too blue, mod it. It's fun and educational! :D

Alan, can you confirm with respect to the construction of the unit, its overall physical appearance, and the quality/tint of the output that the Rayovac and Gentos are different labels for the same beast? I am tempted by the Rayovac here http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(lwzhb0554jnocnrwxqcoof45)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=3257912

or here

http://www.batteryjunction.com/se3dln.html

but don't want to get one if it is not "warm white." :thinking:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Rayovac, Sportsman Extreme (At least at this time), is cool white. It does light a room well but is UGLY to look at.. It is a pale sickly blueish light.

Perhaps you're right from a relative aesthetic standpoint. But in an emergency situation, if you're truly without light, aesthetics tend to become a minor detail. For my family's use after the hurricane, we were grateful to have light when and where we needed it. :shrug:

Kremer

Enlightened
I finally found a use for the flashing/strobe mode on my lantern. I turned it on and put it inside a big orange plastic pumpkin lack-o-lantern thing and sat it on the porch for beggars night, I could see it flashing and lighting up the whole front of the house in orange from wayyy down the block, it was the perfect.

ledaholic

Enlightened
I don't know if I got a fluke or if the newer ones are different but mine doesn't have strobe, just high-lo-off.

Kremer

Enlightened
I was just in my local Lowes and of course I cruised the flashlight rack. I was pleased to see that they are now carrying the RayOvac version lantern, this is the first brick and mortar place I've seen it for sale, $29.xx. If I wasn't already using my $10 of $25 coupon for something I would have picked up another one.

Blacklight

Enlightened
Gentos is a brand owned by Saint germain in Japan I beleive (At least that is what I was told when I was there about a month ago). The Warm White LED has been catching on in Japan now, probably why you have not seen it from other manufacturers in the US yet. I did see this lantern at Favour Light as well, when I was in their factory about a month ago. In the US I "think" Century makes a version as well (At least I saw it in Australia about a month ago). But it was cool white. we actually do a Warm white LED lantern in Japan as well, bigger and more expensive though. I will be doing some consumer insight testing on the light color this spring. If it tests out that the consumer is willing to give uo some light, for a warmer color of light, I will probably be launching some in 2010.