Which Flashlight do you use as a police officer??

medicmerlynn

Newly Enlightened
i'm not a cop, but i am a paramedic... does that count? i used to carry a streamlight TL3 before i got my P3D Q5. i'll say that i now use the Q5 exclusively because I have rechargeables for it. the TL3 isn't afraid of being dropped and actually feels REALLY sturdy so i didn't mind being less than careful with it. however, the options i get out of the P3D are a main reason why i use it. i use the low setting as a pen light for pupil reaction but have the ability to switch over to the omg-really-bright turbo for scene lighting. my $.02.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I am still testing and using this new Peak light often on duty. It is their First Responder series designed for police work and let me say it has changed my mind as to luxeons and main duty light. I am convinced now that it can be done with a luxeon as far as brute output is concerned.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=175007

My main duty light current choice is the Wolf-Eyes Raider 9D with modified un-breakable lens.....SureFire TW4 with a modified clip on a VG1 body as a back up http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=115126

And I also have a Wolf-Eyes Sniper as a back up in my duty bag and lastly a small photon on my belt keeper.

eamonn

Newly Enlightened
Our issued flashlights are Mag chargers, and I replaced the standard bulb with the WA 1160.

My back-up is a Wolf-Eyes Raider with the LF EO-9 high output lamp assembly, riding in an ASP baton holder on my belt.

A small Photon coin light is attached to my gun belt, and a Fenix P1 is usually in my pocket.

Modern_Major_General

Newly Enlightened
My department issues the Streamlight SL-20X. I've used a streamlight Singer XT as a backup, but I've been wanting to switch to an LED backup.

I've been torn between the Stinger LED DS and Inova T4 for a long time, but havn't had the opportunity to try either, and now I've started considering the Surefire 6PL as a possibility too.

If only streamlight would make a Strion LED.

Last edited:

heztai

Newly Enlightened
I have my wolf eye defender 4 modes on my belt, Pelican 7060 in my duty bag and my old pelican M6 with a HO-9 320lum drop in in my pocket.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wasn't the police actually taught how to use mag as a emergency impact weapon? At least before all the PC crap and lawsuit started flying. I remember hearing this from a retired cop.

Not in NYC

chibato

Newly Enlightened
1995-1996 Maglite 3D
1996-2001 Streamlight Stinger
2001-2004 Surefire G2
2004-2007 Surefire 6P
Current Surefire G2 w/Cree Q5 drop in and Fenix P2D as b-up

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I alternate based on time of year.
Summer when I get about 15 minutes of dark I carry the Gladius on the belt
Winter I go with the Pelican 7060. On my duty weapon I have the TLR-1

In the car is a streamlight ultrastinger as back up. In the trunk I have a PILA GL4

When I work a plain clothes assignment I carry the PILA GL2 or my QIII.

Different tools for different situations

alnico357

Newly Enlightened
For about 9 years I used a 6C Maglight. I like the grip of a C over a D. This light has survived some rough falls out of a patrol car and makes an excellent impact device if needed. I have gone to a 2C Maglight recently for ease of carry. I am running an EverLED.

And yes we are not to EVER use our flashlights as impact weapons....take out the batteries and it is just like a lead pipe...right...?

Last edited:

Hobbit712

Newly Enlightened
And yes we are not to EVER use our flashlights as impact weapons....take out the batteries and it is just like a lead pipe...right...?

This is exactly why my Mag charger is my first choice as a light. I have been "officially" certified in it's use as a secondary impact weapon. :twothumbs

No wasted time time trying to switch between it and an ASP.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is exactly why my Mag charger is my first choice as a light. I have been "officially" certified in it's use as a secondary impact weapon. :twothumbs

No wasted time time trying to switch between it and an ASP.

Sounds reasonable to me. :twothumbs

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
I was suspecting that, but don't they carry baton(ASP, nightstick, not sure of the name in english) as well? Much better suited for *** whupping than a flashlight. Makes it kind of redundant of carrying around a big *** flashlight as well.
And LAPD recently banned all aluminium lights(allthough the reason was lame, they got a good light out of it).
When you're walking into a non-stressful situation, in the dark, you'll have your large flashlight in your hand ready to hit someone if things suddenly go wrong. You won't have time to reach for your collapsible or sidehandle.

roof

Newly Enlightened
You have all different flashlights I see.

For on the belt you need a small bright light. Which light is better than than the Lumapower M1 and MRV??. These lights are very bright!!.

The surefire and Gladius are the best brands I know, but what is the best compact flashlight??

Fird

Enlightened
tehe, the 3d mags are good hosts for the ROP mod if I'm not mistaken... secondary impact weapon, duty light, combined with "OMG" bright.. then again for several hours of traffic directing, i suppose a standard mag makes sense

NickDrak

Enlightened
I carried a Streamlight Stinger for years. Now I carry the wall of light, Surefire L4. L5 is good too. My department just changed guns to S&W M&P 45 and I've got a Surefire X300 for it. Nice Beam on the X300. Just as bright if not brighter than the L4. Forgot to mention I'm inner city and seldom require a light with massive throw but I have a Lumapower MRV Q5 in the trunk bag just in case.

BigD64,

Have you guys been able to locate any duty holsters that fit the M&P45 with the X300 attached? Safariland still does not have anything listed for this or any other weaponlight combo for the M&P45.

NickDrak

Enlightened
My primary light has been a Surefire U2 for the past 3+ years located in my support side pant pocket. I have most recently replaced it with a Surefire 3xCR123 "Franken-Light" that I built up using a C3 Centurion body, M2 bezel, SW02 tailcap, and a Malkoff CREE drop-in. I also have a SF 6PL that I have in a pouch on my vest carrier, and an X200B mounted on my S&W M&P40 carried in a Safariland 6280. I may carry my new Fenix T1 around at work for the next few weeks to test it out.

roof

Newly Enlightened
Surefire and Gladius has not a new led technology, that's why I choose for Lumapower (MRV).

I think that the Surefire's and Gladius light are very tactical but they havn't bright light (old led technology Luxeon led's etc.)

BigD64

Enlightened
I have not found a holster that let's you carry the M&P with the X300 attatched. But it goes on qwik. If you detect a threat that fast you probably wouldn' have time to turn it on before you shoot. Another reason not to have it attached is you will have moron's (every department has a few) that will whip out their gun when they just need a flashlight.