Which RCR123A for D25C...3.0v or 3.6/7v??

Dlight

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I just ordered a Eagle Tac D25C XM-L2 u2 and would like to try running Li-ions in the for better efficiency. The website states that if running 3.7v li-ions, it may turn the light to direct drive and not have some of the modes available anymore. It takes the lumens from around 450 to 700 on turbo. But I'm not too familiar with li-ions and I dont want to ruin the light or get it too hot. plus I don't like the 20-30 min run time man :(

Does anyone have experience with the tenergy 3.0v RCR123A's? I was thinking of trying them. The place I ordered from stated that with the 3v li-ions it would work as designed to. Is that true?

What about the Xtar 3.6v RCR? Are these good? Would they work well?

Other option would be the nitecore RCR123A and I2 charger, but the XTAR are significantly less expensive...

Thanks All

kj2

Flashaholic
The new, 2013 version, has the A950RC III circuit. That one supports 3.7V 16340 and should give you all the modes the light has.

Bumble

Enlightened
ive just had a look around and cannot see any postings on what the current draw is when the torch is on high with this "new" driver . for safety!!.. if its over 1.5 amp ( which is about the recommended constant current draw on an rcr 3.7v) then you should use an imr 16340 cell as they can handle much more constant current draw but are NOT protected, BUT they do use "safe chemistry" in there manufacturing. aw imr 16340 cells are good ones :). so just to re-cap... you need to find out the current draw on high with this new driver to decide on which type of cell to use.

EDIT! if it has the old driver in it ( you will notice only a low and a very bright high on a rcr) then from memory the current draw on high was over 2 amps so an imr cell should be used.

Last edited:

Dlight

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys! It is the newer version of the light (2013), so this one will fully support the 3.7v li-ions, like the nitecore RCR123A?? and still keep all modes?

Bumble

Enlightened
Thanks guys! It is the newer version of the light (2013), so this one will fully support the 3.7v li-ions, like the nitecore RCR123A?? and still keep all modes?

if it has the A950 driver in it then yes it will keep the modes.. but if you read my post above its whether it is 100% SAFE to do so with a rcr 123 battery.. if it pulls over 1.5amps on high you should use an imr 16340 cell.

Dlight

Newly Enlightened
Ok, but what about the tenergy 3.0v? Either in the 3.0v li-ion 16340 900mAh, or the 3.0v LiFeP04 battery with 750mAh?? Would these be a safer and possibly more efficient rechargable with better run times? And if so, which one would be a better choice? Thanks again!

Bumble

Enlightened
i dont use the batteries you have mentioned im afraid ..sorry :( but i would of thought being 3v the light will have less of an output on high . but mainly im not sure what constant current the batteries can maintain safely ? im sure another member will post some more info for us :)

Dlight

Newly Enlightened
Ok I see, well thanks for the info! Hopefully someone has experience with this combo that can chime in...