Why are we all here?

Is this blemish enough to classify these lights as seconds?

• I need all the high-tech toys!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just lights I use/want to

• Collection of new lights

• Collection of old lights

• Modding all the way

• Total voters

illumiGeek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Prolepsis said:
I'm here because CPF is a wealth of information. And, as my better half tells me, I'm here because then I feel "normal" (that there are other flashaholics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif).

In addition, I've found that this forum contains some of the most friendly and helpful people that I've ever met online. A lot of good debates happen, and, in general, with a minimal amount of flaming. So, overall, a nice place to spend some time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said, except the part about being normal. I know I'm wierd, and frankly it doesn't bother me a bit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

illumiGeek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Reno said:
I'm here on the permanent quest for a better flashlight.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what are you gonna do after the VIP ships? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

illumiGeek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Wingerr said:
We're all here 'cause we're not all there- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been there for a while.

What the hell's taking the rest of you so long? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Prolepsis

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
illumiGeek said:
[ QUOTE ]
Reno said:
I'm here on the permanent quest for a better flashlight.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what are you gonna do after the VIP ships? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe like the rest of us, Reno will then be waiting for the BBH! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Aten_Imago

Banned
I ended up at CPF while doing research on alternative lighting technology to replace high draw incandescent and nasty cycling flourescents... so via Google> LED technology > CPF & LUMILEDS > and here I am fooling around with flashlights while I continue the research. The Strange World of Hypertext! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I started a little 15K page about LEDs in late 1999. And I was sent my first LED flashlight to review in early 2000. Now I have 350 or 400 flashlights and other lighting devices.
And the rest is, shall we say, history. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I joined CPF in mid-August 2000 upon being asked to do so by another CPFer.
And the rest is, shall we say, history. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

O wait...said that already, didn't I? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was searching the web for new and different flashlights, and the search turned up CPF, and The LED Museum. Now over half of my time online is spent here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
JonSidneyB said:
It is the valiant attempt at becoming poor

[/ QUOTE ]

What Jon said.

-or-

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gifI'm just really really really afraid of the dark.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always liked flashlights. However, given that they were for many years an unchanging technology in at least the basics, it became merely a tool.

The advent of the White LED (Nichia) changed that Paradigm forever. When I heard of the CC Trek Light from C. Crane, I had to have one. I have been addicted to LED lights ever since.

I found the LED Museum while doing a bit of research, found Arc Flashlight, and ended up here via a link on Arc's website.

Interestingly, I have more headlamps than flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I've been a fan of bright light since WAY before finding CPF. I was overdriving Krypton bulbs and tweaking them to be centered better before internet.

I feel pretty strongly about Knives, Guns, Gadgets too.

But this is the site that is my homepage!

I am on a permanent search for the best light for me. Since it's not possible to have one light do EVERYTHING, I am in no danger of finding it!

I very much like the community here as well. There are plenty of guys who will bend over backwards to help another. And there is SOMEONE here who knows about anything you might ask!

GREAT GROUP!

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was modding lanterns and lights 30 yrs ago. I will never forget my lanterm, 10 W halogen bulb, 2 sealed lead acid battery from motorbike (they were sealed, but with liquid electrolyte), germanium ASZ power regulator. It worked fine. I was a flashaholic, then, and now.
Flashlight, as an hobby, is a very "elite" one. CPF is a more than unique place to quietly discuss about a quiet (and bright) hobby.
This said...

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
None of the above!
All of the above!

In a sentence, from when I was little, camping with my grandfather in WildWood State Park in NJ, to being a boy scout, I always loved flashlights.

Then Tropical Storm Allison hit, and I had to actually use my lights. I was disappointed, and wanted to see what else was out there.

Here are three threads, where I talk in detail about why I (and others too - this is not a NEW topic!)am here:

Why Flashaholics? Compare YOUR history with your brother CPF'ers

Why are mag lights criticized so much?

Why does everyone hate mag lite?

There is a LOT of interesting reading in these threads, but my references are directly into my posts.

Let's hear some new ones!

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
My doctor recommended CPF after we got to talking about the E2e that he used in his exams. He's a fellow enthusiast.

My sister in law has since suggested I see a doctor about this "hobby". I told her that I have /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Daniel

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always loved flashlights (torches, as they are called down under). I can't remember when I first got one, but I know that my family (and now that I have one, my wife especially) always try to keep me away from anywhere that sells them, because they know what will happen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

I wanted a Mag, but didn't like the price for what you get (they are about 4 times the cost in Oz!!).

I searched on the net for cheaper ones, and then for better ones, and then for brighter ones, and I ended up here.

I've just been here for maybe a week now, and I have ordered a Blaster 3P from Wayne at Elektro Lumens. It's big, tough, bright. I know I won't be able to stop there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
Since I NEED several different lighting tools for work (traffic control, vehicle searches, ground searches, strike flare replacement) I started searching the 'Net for information on such tools, including manufacturers and dealers. I found this site via the ARC link, and have since quoted this site to other current/aspiring LEO/PO who are also interested in finding better lighting tools and power sources, especially at better prices.

richpalm

Banned
I've loved lights ever since I was a kid-had one of those old chrome sealed beam lanterns with the red flasher. In my teen years I bought a Carpenter light from a local firefighter's supply store and thought I had it all. Then the interest lay dormant until last year when a security guard at work blinded me with his Scorpion as a joke. I had to have one and needed a light since I work nights in a hospital detox anyway. Wound up with a Stinger. Found CPF and as Craig said, the rest is history.

It's a typical hobby/addiction as my wife doesn't like it (do women ever like their mate's hobbies? I don't think so.) Since work is a mental health (??) setting, folks think I have "issues" since I carry 3 lights. (M3 for force option, McLux PR for backup, and a Micra or Arc for low level so I don't wake up the whole room when I do patient checks.)

I don't give a damn what the uninitiated think-since Photon Fest I & II I made many friends and acquaintences here on CPF, important since being with crabby nurses at work (and home /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif) all the time with no male friends has started to mess with my head. Night shift is isolative.

The biggest thing about CPF for me is the atmosphere-we are almost like a family. When a member posted in the Cafe' about the death of his pet, I felt as sad as if it were a member of my own family. I have made many flashlight transactions without any deals going bad and needless to say, have a great collection of lights and amassed some technical knowledge about same.

So stick around! Only thing is, you'll be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif !

Rich

cmassicotte

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure how I got here. I think it was a referral in a knife forum that sent me looking for an "EDC" flashlight. At the time, the recommendations in that forum were for Photon II, SF E2e, and the ARC AA or maybe it was the ARC AAA.

Anyhow I landed here, and have been visiting - more lurking than posting, ever since.

I first went for the "Hot" SF incans, but now I have become a fan of LEDs.

Oh, yeah, this has cost me a bundle. Lets see here... 2 C2s, 1 C3, 1 E2e, 1 E2, 2 KL1s, 1 KL3, 1 TW4, 1 L4. Hmmm. should I admit to my one Opalec Newbeam? And my MadMax Lite that is on the way now? What I want now is a couple of KL5s, but alas they seeem to be nothing but fig newtons of my imagination.

There is I suppose one good thing about this affliction - It keeps me out of the bars!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chuck