Why do you collect flashlights?

Freax

Banned
I only just today become an official collector after buying a swivel light on eBay, and I didn't even know it until it was too late, a moderator moved my thread to this section :D

So some people become collectors without even knowing it, it seems..

Bentbylumens

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so maybe I'm reaching a bit . . . But calling it a fetish sounds sooooooo much cooler than an ADDICTION. And just maybe a little bit sexy. Just a tad. Now I feel somewhat less like a junkie and more like someone with an interesting little secret. :devil:

iTorchFetish

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so maybe I'm reaching a bit . . . But calling it a fetish sounds sooooooo much cooler than an ADDICTION. And just maybe a little bit sexy. Just a tad. Now I feel somewhat less like a junkie and more like someone with an interesting little secret. :devil:

Yes, yes that's it :twothumbs. Not some sort of weird perversion of my desire, but "... an interesting little secret;). I like the way you think - and thanks for easing my mind.

Cool name by the way - "Bentbylumens" ... the most appropriate name I've seen so far for someone with a torch fetish

Lumen Beast

Newly Enlightened
I collect flashlights for simple reason that I can't stay away from them and every time I buy a light makes me feel happy.They are fun and addictive and being here on cpf will only help my collection get bigger.

Strumento

Newly Enlightened
Great topic which can be expanded to why people collect stuffs in general. This writeup by Diane Fricke can shine some light on why people collect. A few reasons from the writeup as follows:

1. To satisfy a sense of personal aesthetics and to please personal tastes.​ I think a lot of people will fall into this category where there is something regarding flashlight that they think is beautiful. This is the reason why people are willing to spent big bucks to buy limited or collector editions flashlights made of e.g. titanium, carbon fiber. Some of these lights may have solid performance as well but most of the time they are more of a work of art. Many people also find the regular standard off-the-shelf flashlights elegant enough for collection to satisfy their personal desires without burning a big hole in their pockets.

2. To show one's individualism. Some people who fall into category 1 just want to be different from other flashlight collectors. They are the ones who will opt for those neutral warm or high CRI lights to stand out from the cool white led mainstreams. They are also more likely willing to spent on custom flashlights as their requirements are usually quite specific and cannot be met by those on the shelves lights.

3. As a kind of security against uncertainty. This may not be a common reason but perhaps some people may have some negative experiences in the past where a flashlight has helped them out e.g. trapped in a lift, lost in a dark street at night. In those situations, a flashlight probably helped relief one's anxiety and frustration of feeling helpless and alone and from then on, collecting flashlights is quite comprehensible.

4. To connect the collector to his historic, valued past and to trigger fond memories. How many of you collect flashlight due to some connection to the past and memories e.g. your dad bought you a flashlight for one of your birthdays when you are a kid and you are somewhat fascinated ever since. Or you have watched too many star wars movies as a kid and the nearest thing to the light saber beside those star wars toys and collectibles, is a powerful flashlight with a long throw. :p

There may be other reasons as to why people collect but in general, people collect because they have passion and interest in that particular topic.

As it is impossible to collect every flashlight out there, all collectors will draw the boundary of which categories of lights they will only collect so as to maintain a sense of control and not be overwhelmed by the sense of incompletion. Some may limit their collection to 18650 types of lights, some will only go for warm led lights, some will only buy lights that have practical usage (definitely not those collectors lights that you keep in gift boxes) etc. So to those collectors here, where is your boundary?

Another good point in the writeup is that there will always be disappointment accompanying the joys of collecting. How many times have you shown your impressive collection of lights to your peers or family only to receive little or lukewarm responses from? How many times have you posted a new thread to share about a new light purchase only to see your thread disappear from the first page in just one day? :ironic: Many people will feel frustrated that their prized collection is somewhat ignored or not appreciated by other people.

Personally, I collected quite a few things like comics and game cards as a kid but had since sold or given them away. Today, I am somewhat glad that I am not collecting anything in particular. Not only it helped to save some bucks, it also save me the effort of having to maintain the collection. Every now and then, I will come across something that I will have an urge to collect but I will try to get over with it by picturing what will happen to those stuffs 10 years down the road. My philosophy is "even if you can afford it, if you are not going to use it frequently and it will most likely be ended up in the cupboard collecting dust, then don't buy it". Some may argue that it is not a matter of having the items in possession for eternity but it is the process and memories of collecting that matters. Hence, they will sell off their items and move on to another collection when the time comes. I agree to some extend but as of now, I would rather spend my money on intangible stuffs like good food, vacations, movies etc. :)

BuzzLight

Newly Enlightened
This thing is an addiction...

I started out first with an incandescent Mag-Lite in the 90's in which my Dad gave me a mini one. And when LED's started to become increasingly popular I bought 300 Peso flashlights which is around $6 USD/each. It produced about 30 lumens at most. Then only around five years ago I got my first quality flashlight which was a Fenix PD20. After that I was so amazed how much output it can produce. Now, I'm constantly looking for the brightest LED flashlights in the market. My family are into it too and we have collected almost every Fenix product already. That is our new bonding!

ven

Flashaholic
Mine started around 1992 when i used to work on HGVs(heavy goods vehicles) as an apprentice,snap on tools required a D maglite to keep them company.At the time (some may argue still) maglite was the best.From then i have had a few cheap ones,biggest let down for me was the aaa maglite for my car keys.As good as useless,then went led.Coming in handy for work and camping my collection has grown a little over last few years.I like to have several at my bed side,in my car,in work and also in caravan.I like a back up for a back up:) I sort of get an obsession.......the boss will agree........from modifications on my 4x4 to tools.......i just cant stop.

I do find it handy to show her the £5 bargains off BG and DX as she does not know a nitecore from a smiling shark:) this combined with my delivery address at work being used helps me build my collection:sssh: my 3yr old flashaholic helps too as when i order him one i have to get me one too:whistle:

However trying to convince her my next purchase(maybe a tk75 or tm15) cost £5 might prove a challenge:tsk: ..............but hey we all like a challenge:grin2:

Exostencil

Newly Enlightened
I have only just started and don't know if I could be called a collector yet. I bought a Fenix LD20 after seeing some EDC videos. When I got it I was so surprised with the build quality and run time of CREE globes I went a bit mad and snapped up a couple of cheap CREE torches from eBay and a SL Stylus Pro.

I think I do it because I like having things useful things.

Plus, there's something so primal about making light where there was only dark before.
au.gif

awyeah

Enlightened
I collect good lights for a few reasons. I'm tired of cheap lights that are unreliable. I buy them to have for everyday tasks, and for emergencies. When the power's out, I no longer have to wonder if I'm going to have a working flashlight.

I'm tired of lights that aren't bright, have a tiny little hotspot. They're mostly useless in day-to-day tasks. We still have this big yellow Dorcy beast laying around, I think it runs on 4 D-cells. It's enormous, heavy, and not bright... I can barely see anything with it. Plus if I dropped it, it'd probably break. If the batteries leak in it... I won't miss it ;)

I also prefer lights that have long run times. That's not as easy to find on the cheaper/lower-end side of things. It gives me peace of mind knowing that I can have days of usable light from each of my lights, while still maintaining a usable level of brightness, throw, and spill.

Size is also important. I carry a 1xCR123A light in my pocket, on turbo I think it puts out >300 lumens. A giant 6xD-cell light from your local superstore won't even put out that kind of light. I also really like the 2xCR123A/1x18650 size. We're at about 1,000 OTF lumens at that size right now!

Then there's the ability to get what you want, feature-wise. You can pick what size you want, what type of batteries you want it to take, modes, etc. There are so many combinations of features...

Gary Wilson

Newly Enlightened
LMAO!! This thread feels like an AA (or an FA!) meeting or something. I myself always loved torches as a boy for exploring around in the dark..... Alas the batteries always ran down FAR to quick. And back then they were pricey to keep buying. I took until LED bulbs took off and the wind up "cheap" torches began to appear. I got one to look at the electric meter and was surprised how bright it was for a few cranks on a handle.

I then purchased a larger Yellowstone wind up torch/lantern and although this is quite poor in regards to output. For general house/power failure it's ok. I then found a small 3xAAA "9 LED" job that i carry around...... In daylight!! LMAO!! and a useful 2xAA "Kubaton" one that would be useful as a last resort self defense tool.

I bought a LED Lenser V8 Turbo (not impressed imho!) but the daughter has it now. And a few "cheap" headlamps (one was a £1 and uses 3xAA and to be honest is VERY bright for the money)!! I then discovered CREE LED's and was looking at a £35 Klarin model. But as Christmas is coming up and we need to spend the money on the kids i found a CREE T6 14500/AA torch on Amazon with 14500+ charger for £11!! The torch is VERY bright..... But the charger and cell will be upgraded to a Nitecore i4 and a few AW's........ I thought it was just ME collecting torches LOL!!!

Thanks.

colight

Enlightened
because i love flashlights and feel good to make friends with flashaholics sharing what we love

unknown001

Newly Enlightened
For me, I think it's more trying to find the best light for the given situation, at the most cost effective price.

That and having gotten into modding recently I like to see how much my old or under-performing lights can be improved.

UnderPar

Enlightened
I still cant understand why I love flashlights, especially the LED. Though I did had a mini Maglite before when I was still doing shifting at work, hopefully someday I will find the answer in this forum.

Dargel21

Newly Enlightened
I'm not really a collector of flashlights, as I only wish to have a flashlight within arms reach where ever I am.

Lampbeam

Newly Enlightened
I end up collecting flashlights in an ongoing effort to find a better light. It's funny how I always have been satisfied with my flashlights because I didn't know how much better they would become. Now, I have some lights that I used to think were great that frankly aren't so great. I'm hoping Malkoff will be able to improve some of them with their drop-ins. Maybe my eyesight is failing me, because I used to think the yellow Eveready flashlight with the 6 volt battery was good. I mean with a big battery like that it had to be good, right? Nope, big battery or not, it wasn't good. And they're still making them. The new ones have three LEDs and run 130 hours at 25 lumens.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like having things that combine practical utility with a nice design. For example, I own a few of these double-walled drink glasses. Keeps my coffee warm, and my beer cold. Looks good, simple but elegant design, lasts forever as long as you take care of it.

Flashlights are in the same line of thought. As for how many is too many, well... to the 'craftsmen' in this audience, I need not explain the utility of yet another screwdriver in the toolshed. :)

Yes there are limits to what's useful or practical. Doesn't mean you can't collect some more though.

markr6

Flashaholic
Becasue this forum is a black hole which sucked me in and there is no escaping