Why do you keep your old lights?

FlashlightKid

Newly Enlightened
I actually have this question due to the dilemma I am currently facing. I have an E1L and E1b that I bought to EDC but decided that both were not right for me. I really prefer NOT to sell my lights but am wondering if I should, so I at least get some money back before they become obsolete. If I don't I will end up with two lights that just collect dust. I really don't really need the money (thus would prefer not to lose money by selling them at the used price) but I already have several Surefires (not special editions just regular production ones, and not even high end ones) that are shelf only (little to no use just sit on shelf with no batteries). Is this a bad habit even for a flashlight enthusiast?

So the question is:
1. Why do you keep your lights? Just to grow your collection, Future upgrades, or for a special purpose later???

2. Is there any justification for me to keep these two? Will there (likely) be any use for them later (upgrades or is the TIR optics or specific LED a unique characteristic) or will future technology make these obsolete when I dig them out of my closet 5 years from now.

3. I noticed the old Surefires (Laser Products Label) and other more unique production models hold their value rather well (Not higher then retail but maybe at about 70% of retail pretty constantly over the years), is there any chance that holding onto these for (ie.)15 years will yield similar results?

Sorry for the long post and hope that this is in the right section, Please move it if it is not, I am still kind of new to posting. Looking forward to see those responses:thumbsup:
P.S. I'll probably end up using your responses on reasons why you keep your lights to justify keeping theselovecpf

Short and Round

Newly Enlightened
I think that you should keep them especially since you don't need the money. You never know when the need for that light might arise.

Illum

Flashaholic
Put it this way, there's nothing wrong with old lights, just the new lights are too bright.

When its totally dark where you are, you'll come to appreciate old lights, no matter how out of date it is.

Billy Ram

Enlightened
I keep old lights that still work but are obsolete and not practicle to use anymore. When I say old I'm talking about stuff like my old Browning 4xD cell twin element serch light and Super Sabrelite. I have a few lights like these that were the best available in their day that don't take up much room in my basement.
Billy

lightsandknives

Enlightened
I too keep most of my old lights. I get out my HDS basic 42 from time to time, that on high, throws a whopping 42 lumens! Still a great light, I love the tint, the low low, and it's a great light. It's just not very bright by todays standards. I still have 2 Fenix P1s. Single stage, but small. I still throw them in my pockets from time to time. So, even though I have much newer and brighter lights, I do still enjoy my older lights.

The only time I make an exception, is when I get a light that I just don't care for. Then, I give it to a non-flashaholic friend who doesn't have any good lights. For example, I had a light that had a terrible pre-flash, and that's a trait that personally, I just don't like. I gave it to a friend and of course, he didn't know the difference, and thought it was the greatest light ever!. So, if I still like it, I just keep it. Can't really have too many lights!!

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
..... I really prefer NOT to sell my lights but am wondering if I should, so I at least get some money back before they become obsolete.

Good point.

If I don't I will end up with two lights that just collect dust. I really don't really need the money (thus would prefer not to lose money by selling them at the used price) ...

Your E1B and E1L lights will probably never be worth more than they are today on the used market. The value will likely continue downwards. If you are not using them, pass them on to someone else who can get some use from these high quality lights and you can get some use from the money.

I sell the relatively expensive lights I don't use and give away some inexpensive lights. I confess to keeping others in the middle price range due to relatively high shipping costs, the hassle of packing them, and driving to the UPS store or post office.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to sell lights that I do not use. Sometimes I a buy a light on impulse or thought I was going to like it but didn't. Either way if one of my lights is not going to get used then I sell it so someone else can get some use out of it.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I keep my old lights because I'm just a pack-rat by nature. And, being a collector of sorts means they stay. Not too many there that have any value beyond typical yard sale worth.

Geoff

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not into the more expensive lights (most of my lights sell new for $40 or less US).

Some of them I bought really cheap as mod hosts, others because they were cool at the time. Some of those will get new emitters, but they may end up becoming too bright :ohgeez:

Although some of my lights have older or frowned upon emitters, they still produce light so in my mind they are not obsolete.

I'm in the same situation as LEDninja, Canada Post charges a lot of money to ship items ground or air, so you have to cut the price on the light in order to make the end price reasonable.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I keep my old lights and mod them with brighter emitters or warm tint emitters. A well modded old light (even one thats not too expensive) can be cheaply made to outperform a more expensive current production light.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put it this way, there's nothing wrong with old lights, just the new lights are too bright.

When its totally dark where you are, you'll come to appreciate old lights, no matter how out of date it is.

Exactly. Nothing wrong with stashing a old light somewhere and being glad to have it when the need arises.

bestcounsel

Enlightened
i think it depends on the person....i have friends that keep everything......

then there is me that sells almost everything....i have sold and tried many lights and the only flashlight item i regreted selling was a malkoff m60......i have since gotten another one....i like my ole kl1 and bought another one....

Deputy T.

Newly Enlightened
In my case, I'm rough on my lights, so the price I can sell them make them hardly worth the effort. I do however find it more rewarding to give the away to family member or close friend when I find I have absolutely no use for them. I of course am careful to pass them along to those who would appreciate and use them. I gave my father my P1D when I replaced it with my EX10. I always give my good friend, a plumber my extra Mag Lite parts (IE lenses and reflectors) an my old led drop ins when I upgrade them. My wife has my old Surfire EDC in her purse, an E1b body & tail with a E1e head, Lumens Factory bulb, and an IMR. I gave my closest friend my first 2c mag mod with a couple GH-24, pair of AW 18500, and my old version Kaidomain reflector. He's a real testament to the longevity of the GH-24 bulb as he uses this light every day for almost 2 years. When I discover Malkoff I gave my P60l to my coworker.

You probably get the idea...

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never get rid of any old lights. I've picked them out pretty carefully and they all still do a good job at the tasks I originally bought them for. It's kinda nice.

I have lights that I never use that I just keep around to loan out to clueless neighbors who have no lights when a storm knocks out the power. I also put old lights in medical kits and odd tool bags.

Even a really sucky light like a M/\G Solitare makes a great battery holder...

Even something like a deceased CMG Infinity may live again. It's body may replace one of my other ones that has sustained damage or if I become inspired at some point in the future I could always send the carcass out to some CPFer who may build a new light out of it.

I guess it may depend on what one had in mind when they made the purchases and how they view their lights in general. Mine are tools and I actually kind of get more of a kick out of them as they age.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
i typically keep the old stuff that no one really wants, but the ones that are pretty new just not bleeding edge that ive lost interest in, ill usually sell to my friends locally, because to them they are the newest brightest things ever, and they have no clue whats really out there, and then they want more and more and make their way to the 4sevens website, yes i do in fact use them like gateway drugs.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep my old lights because I'm just a pack-rat by nature. And, being a collector of sorts means they stay. Not too many there that have any value beyond typical yard sale worth.

I'd say this is about where I am as well.

Canada post charges too much for me to ship them out.

:crackup: But I'm sure it's not as funny to those of you who do live in Canada.

I keep my old lights and mod them with brighter emitters or warm tint emitters. A well modded old light (even one thats not too expensive) can be cheaply made to outperform a more expensive current production light.

This is what I keep telling myself I should do but I just don't ever seem to do it. I've been waiting on V-bin SSC P4s for over 2 years now. :mecry: Maybe I'll get some mods done when Neutral XP-Gs make it out the factory doors.