Why does Fenix still not offer a REAL low mode?

busseguy

Enlightened
I just can't understand Fenix's reasoning for not having a real low level like 5 lumens or less. I mean how many years do people need to request it before they actually make it happen?

3_gun

Enlightened
The LD10r5 has a low of 3L, the LD12/17 a 5L low. As far as I know these are the lowest low of any of the Fenix lights that would be good EDC lights. The LD10r5 was my EDC for well over a decade & still works well. The LD12-17 replace it but not for long, 2 maybe 3yrs. Still a good light but my needs changed. If either were the only light I had I'd have bigger problems to worry about. I can say that about a lot of the lights I own.

Forgot my E12v2, it has a 5L low also

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
The LD01 had a 1-2 lm low, didn't it ? My favorite Fenix ever; I had both the XR-E and current-controlled XP-G versions. They worked so well I guess they decided to never do that again.

It's been 10-15 years since then; I still can't get a penlight as good as the XR-E LD01 head on the Streamlight Stylus Pro 2xAAA body.

busseguy

Enlightened
So I guess there was a couple but they should offer it on a lot more models. I don't really want to carry 2 different lights in order to have a real low, I'd rather have it all in one package.

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
I just can't understand Fenix's reasoning for not having a real low level like 5 lumens or less. I mean how many years do people need to request it before they actually make it happen?
I see others have answered your question. Have you seen the new LD12R? https://fenix-store.com/products/ld12r?_pos=1&_psq=ld12R&_ss=e&_v=1.0

If you can explain further your expectations, we can be more specific with an answer. Are you looking for a high-lumen flashlight with a 5-lumen setting, etc.

Last edited:

busseguy

Enlightened
I see others have answered your question. Have you seen the new LD12R? https://fenix-store.com/products/ld12r?_pos=1&_psq=ld12R&_ss=e&_v=1.0

If you can explain further your expectations, we can be more specific with an answer. Are you looking for a high-lumen flashlight with a 5-lumen setting, etc.

Yes basically.

I want an all in one flashlight with a long throw on turbo, then a bright high, maybe 100 or so lumens for medium, and 5 lumens or less would be great for those times you don't want to wake or disturb someone. It's frustrating to have to pull out another flashlight just for a couple minutes then put it back in your pack again.

Tons of other companies offer it, and tons of people love the option.

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
Yes basically.

I want an all in one flashlight with a long throw on turbo, then a bright high, maybe 100 or so lumens for medium, and 5 lumens or less would be great for those times you don't want to wake or disturb someone. It's frustrating to have to pull out another flashlight just for a couple minutes then put it back in your pack again.

Tons of other companies offer it, and tons of people love the option.
I'm sending this to the Fenix engineers so they can explain their thinking as to why they haven't done this. I have a good idea but the engineers are the source. As soon as they answer, I will post their answer here. Thanks for your feedback!

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh no. What happened to the excellent reply you gave? Good on you fenix rep for actually trying to solve a customer issue.

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
I'm sending this to the Fenix engineers so they can explain their thinking as to why they haven't done this. I have a good idea but the engineers are the source. As soon as they answer, I will post their answer here. Thanks for your feedback!
I sent this whole thread to the Fenix engineers. I'm not sure they understood that we wanted to know WHY no lights with high-lumen output didn't have a 10-lumen mode also. I'll try again. In the meantime, these are some recommendations for the low-lumen lights you wanted.
LD12R, E-CP, E03R V2.0, E18R V2.0, E20R V2.0, PD35 V3.0, and TK26R

I think you will see the last two lights do have a pretty high lumen output and the low mode also. I'll be back in touch. Thank you

Last edited:

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
Oh no. What happened to the excellent reply you gave? Good on you fenix rep for actually trying to solve a customer issue.
I had some trouble with the post. I hope you can see the post where Fenix listed their recommendations. I messaged them again stating that you want to know why they don't make a light with very high lumens and then a low 5-lumen mode. I hope that makes sense to them.

busseguy

Enlightened
I had some trouble with the post. I hope you can see the post where Fenix listed their recommendations. I messaged them again stating that you want to know why they don't make a light with very high lumens and then a low 5-lumen mode. I hope that makes sense to them.

I just got the new Fenix HT32 which I love but a real low like 5 or so lumens would have been great.

I don't like that I have to put that flashlight away then pull another one out to get a real low output for maybe a few minutes, then put it away and pull out the brighter light.

It's an inconvenience. My Acebeam 1,300 meter thrower has a 1 lumen moonlight mode and it's all in one package.