Why is CPF and flashlights in general so addicting?

Butch003

Newly Enlightened
What's the deal? I mean, I was doing good for a few months as I stayed off here but I"m back on reading everyday and all I want to do is buy buy buy!! :shrug:

While I don't actually "NEED" more lights, they're just so cool and the fact that there are so many different kinds and you can get them relatively cheap that half the fun for me is reading reviews, hunting for the next best light at the best price...

I'm going through the same sickness. Can't seem to find an answer. In the past 6 weeks, I've spent more on flashlights & parts than I did in my whole life before that. Love it.

hammerface

Newly Enlightened
It tickles the same part of your brain that more dangerous toys like guns do, without the attendant social stigma, at a lower price, but with a bit of that "safer with than without" feel.

It has almost Moore's law rates of performance growth and price shrinkage - unlike guns which double in performance every century or so and only increase in cost.

It also has more helpful and fewer confrontational pedantic type people here than live in the gun forums.

What's to not like?

I agree. It's still a tool/survival thing in a way but much safer. I used to be big into knives (which too is more expensive than this) however it's a little safer to let my 2 1/2 year old play with my flashlights than my knives.. :)

shomie911

Enlightened
Such a good question!

Ive said this before somewhere but I'm pretty convinced this is tied into our human instinct that light = safety and comfort, stemming back to our hominid beginnings. Maybe its hardwired into our brain as a survival sense...

I also think kramer5150 nailed it on the head - in addition to being fun, its a relatively inexpensive and easily accessible hobby...

This makes sense because some of us, myself included, get a kick out of just playing around with our lights sometimes.

I think it's human instinct to have an interest with the creation of light, hence why fire transfixes some people and glow sticks can keep kids entertained for hours.

CPF is addicting because it's a great forum, with good people, enough said. :twothumbs

Now flashlights? Well they're relatively cheap and fill that inner need for cool tools and gadgets that most of us have. They also fill a practical purpose which makes it that much more easy to get addicted.

saabgoblin

Enlightened
CPF is so addicting because we can all live vicariously through each others purchases and experiences while visualizing ourselves effortlessly prepared for each and every scenario and nevermore have a care or worry in the world as long as we have our ultimate EDC we know that we can face anything except opening our credit card bills.:paypal::paypal::paypal::paypal::paypal::devil:

Optik49

Enlightened
There is something very stimulating :devil: when you post an :takeit:.....:paypal: & :sold: . Also the never-ending hunt, for your "perfect light" or EDC. Then, you log on and :poof: read a new thread about a light you did not know anything about :huh2:......:wow: and it begins all over again.:awman:$$$$ :wtf: $$$..:broke:

Sound familiar? :crackup: ........................... Oh ya and "bright and shiny".

hammerface

Newly Enlightened
I think it's human instinct to have an interest with the creation of light, hence why fire transfixes some people and glow sticks can keep kids entertained for hours.

Hell, a glow stick will keep ME entertained for hours. Give me a wicked flashlight and well....

rhpdchief

Newly Enlightened
I think CPF is addicting because its a great site with genuinely great memebrs. Also, there's always something new and interesting here.

As to flashlights... I think it is mostly that they are cool looking, gadgets, tools, and toys that you can carry anywhere, use anywhere, and surprise/amaze people with. While most people don't carry a flashlight at all it actually makes sense to carry one all the time. That's a concept people can grasp pretty quickly once they think about it. If you spend anytime over in the marketplace you quickly find that alot of us also like knives, titanium tools, and other pocketable gadgets. Flashlights, unlike knives and handguns, are something that you can safely use anytime and anywhere you want. Flashlights are useful, safe, unobtrusive, non-threatening fun!

Finally, I can learn here, I can buy here, and I can sell here with confidence.

okbohn

Newly Enlightened
For me...they are cool tools.

and ever since I found LED's I have been really addicted. :)

Dave Keith

Newly Enlightened
Brand new poster here. My wife complains that my hobby is hobbies. I'm just one of those people who have a drive to know as much as possible about whatever piques my interest.

Firearms, knives, watches, fountain pens, now flashlights have all caught my interest through perceived need; then the interest spins out of control when I find a bottomless source of information.

My need for a better flashlight led me here and now after some lurking, I know much less than I did before. :ohgeez:

okbohn

Newly Enlightened
Brand new poster here. My wife complains that my hobby is hobbies. I'm just one of those people who have a drive to know as much as possible about whatever piques my interest.

Firearms, knives, watches, fountain pens, now flashlights have all caught my interest through perceived need; then the interest spins out of control when I find a bottomless source of information.

My need for a better flashlight led me here and now after some lurking, I know much less than I did before. :ohgeez:

I have a safe full of guns. a closet full of knives and a drawer full of lights.

I am in the same boat!

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is simply the quest for wisdom and perfection.
On the with the quest!:takeit::paypal::broke:

Paypal just makes it way way WAY too easy!

If I had to go to a B and M store, pick up a light and pay I would own probably half the amount that I do.

Alan_P

Newly Enlightened
We have a deep seated need to collect (hoard?) things. People collect basball cards, coins, stamps, shoes, match boxes, you name it. We just fulfill that need through flashlights.

Alan

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's it!! I've just thought of a brilliant idea for a song parody.. "Addicted to Light" a parody of "Addicted to Love" . Any CPF members willing to try and sing?

Dods60

Newly Enlightened
Bright, shiny things.

Need I say more?

on the topic bright shiny things,

whats the difference between a bright shiny diamond and a bright shiny flashlight?

when you tell people how much you spent on a diamond the guys mouth drops. when you tell people how much you spent on a flashlight everybodies mouth drops! :laughing:

the other half would not argee but she does not read these so i am safe.:tinfoil:

SaturnNyne

Enlightened
As many have said...

Flashlights work on us on so many levels. It's power. Safety. Comfort. Certainty. How did you feel as a little kid when you were given a flashlight? You no longer had to fear the unknown of the shadows, you had a weapon that could eliminate it. If you were outside, your reach and your sight were no longer limited, you could send a beam of light to the tops of the trees, extending your influence as far as your batteries and tiny incan bulb allowed. The darkness, concealing everything frightening, could now be conquered. In many ways, I think we never really out grow that. We all tend to fear the unknown, and a flashlight combats the unknown and gives us power over it. It also makes us more powerful than those around us who don't have a light or don't have such a bright light, we're prepared for what the world will throw at us each night, we feel like a king and a hero. For some, it becomes something of a hero's quest to find that light that feels "right," like it's meant for you and your needs. It's a magic wand, spreading a sort of knowledge, extinguishing ignorance. And when you think about it, the light itself, the actual photons being emitted, is rather magical; isn't it amazing to think that we're holding a device that is emitting a beam of energy particles in such a vast quantity that they're able to bathe an entire room in its energy? It's a light gun, if you're into guns. It's the fire at the mouth of the cave, it's Luke's lightsaber, it's Roy's six shooter, and it's Merlin's wand. It's a toy that kept us company as a child that we can reach back and pull into our adult lives as useful tools. These are powerful objects that can evoke strong feelings and attachments within us.

On a material level, a high end light has a wonderful essence of quality, craftsmanship, toughness, gizmoness, and functionality to it. It's a connoisseur's hobby, one in which we can revel in the refinement of our taste and the sharpness of our eye for detail; we have a special knowledge and appreciation and it makes us feel like we're special for it. Some fetishize watches or guns (as in nerdengineer's comparison) or jewelry or other gadgets, it's the same basic thing. It's quality, it has value, it's shiny (as Zenster pointed out), it's uncommon and special, you can see that someone had to put a lot of thought and care into creating it, it makes life better in a way that's significant to you; it's a rather magical object even before you get to the utility of being able to see in the dark.

Some people just naturally want to collect things. When you think about it, flashlights are a pretty natural thing to be drawn to collecting.

As for CPF, it's largely the people and the camaraderie. It's nice to go into a crazy hobby knowing there are thousands of other crazies that totally understand where you're coming from. There are some really good people here, and we tend to have a lot of fun, as opposed to most other forums that constantly degrade to children slinging naughty words. The people here tend to be a lot more down to earth and less insecure and nasty. It's a good place to meet some nice like-minded friends, even though you probably won't get to actually meet many of them.

Latest posts