Why would you even KEEP a plastic flashlight?

brickbat

Enlightened
I like plastic lights. Maybe someone (tron3?) can explain why aluminum is a preferred material for some?

There are only two practical reason I can think of for aluminum. One is that it is a good thermal conductor, and will allow higher power lights to dissipate power. The other is that the manufacturer doesn't have to pay a big up-front tooling charge to start production. Wanna make 100 lights in your shop? - Don't pick injection molded plastic... Oh, just thought of reason 3 - thinner wall thickness with aluminum - so slightly smaller outside dimensions.

On the minus side, I'll add to the list: most aluminum lights I've seen use the housing as the conductor for 1 side of the circuit. While aluminum itself is a good electrical conductor, its oxide isn't. And there's typically a dissimilar metal bonding/corrosion problem to address, since the batteries and all other electrical components are copper/brass/nickle/SS (ie not aluminum.)

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
brickbat said:
I like plastic lights. Maybe someone (tron3?) can explain why aluminum is a preferred material for some?

Good question. When I think about it there's no real reason why metal is better than plastic. I just thought of a few but plastic really comes out better on balance (at least at this point in time)

Metal looks good! I like shiny things.
People like the feel of metal. It conveys the impression of quality. I think these first two are the most important from a company's point of view.
Metal packs a punch when you hit someone/something with it.
Metal has better crush resistance/strength (not sure about this but makes sense)

chuck4570

Enlightened
Pelican, Streamlight, and the G2 from Surefire, are all quality, dependable, and durable lights that stand up to alot of abuse, and in general are less expensive. Don't count out the higher end "plastic" lights made by these manufactures along with others.

Chuck

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I don't recall having seen a NIOSH safety rated flashlight that was made out of metal.

Geddinight

Newly Enlightened
I keep a Brinkmann variable power 4 led light in my duty bag with a traffic wand taped to it solely for traffic direction. On full pwer it's just enough light to do the job. Being LED, it lasts longer than the magcharger it replaced. It has survived for a year in a harsh environment and best of all, it was a gift.

Last edited:

Latest posts