WickedLasers: BlueRay Powered Handheld Laser

SuperBert

Enlightened
Very well said (and true)... even though you ruined it w/ the "peace" at the end.

As said before, this whole thing sort of seems like a publicity stunt to me. Though I truly admire their desire to stay on top of upcoming technology, it just seems like buying up all of the blu-ray players, something that at this moment in time isn't a "dime a dozen" just to get seen and blogged about is a bit overboard.

I must admit, I would like to see one in action (both in person and some pics too)...

Corona

Enlightened
SuperBert said:
Very well said (and true)... even though you ruined it w/ the "peace" at the end.
Thanks...but...?? Just trying to keep it light (ugh...bad pun). I can try being anti-nice and see where that takes it (but I've already seen enough of that "style" to know the ultimate outcome anyway).

I'd love to see a correlation between their sales volume and Sony's field return records

waspfarmer

Newly Enlightened
So that's one of those super-duper blue lasers with the limited spacecraft drains that you only have few of? Only $2,000 eh? Hmm...

Last edited:

jellyfish414

Newly Enlightened
I'm surprised WL seems to focus so much on such seemingly outlandish segments of the market. How many people are there that want to buy a 20mw blue laser for $2000, especially when they know it comes from a disected DVD player?

I also don't understand why the 20mw Spyder blue laser is $500 more than the 20mw Sonar blu-ray laser. Anyone know the anwer to that?

So has anyone actually tried any of these blue lasers? I guess I just don't get the appeal. Not as bright as green... but much more expensive! So what's the point?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
jellyfish414 said:
...I also don't understand why the 20mw Spyder blue laser is $500 more than the 20mw Sonar blu-ray laser. Anyone know the anwer to that?
I believe the Spyder is a DPSS laser emitting at 473nm, and the Sonar is a directly-injected laser emitting at ~405nm.
Therefore, the Spyder uses expensive crystals for frequency-doubling (much like a green DPSS laser) and doubles the 946nm line of neodymium - a very hard thing to achieve since the 1064nm and 1319nm lines will try to compete with the 946nm line, stealing energy. On top of that, the 946nm line is self-absorbing making the device a lot trickier to generate.

This is why the Spyder is more expensive than the Sonar; given the same power output (20mW in this case).

jkaiser3000

Enlightened
Those blue diodes are a lot trickier to work with than the standard red/IR diodes. They are more sensitive to overvoltage, overcurrent and ESD :awman:. I expect some time went into designing the driverboard for those diodes, so as to prevent them from dieing. During that time, I'm pretty sure some diodes went to heaven. When you consider the costs of the DVD unit, the diodes killed, the machining for the case, the profits, etc, etc, I can see why these pointers are so expensive.

Still, pretty expensive for me :touche:

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I used the "Contact Us" form on their website this afternoon regarding getting a sample of the Sonar for evaluation on my website - either as a "loaner" or a "keeper" with compensation for it being a banner on my website for two years (I normally charge $1,000.00 a year for banner ad space).

I haven't heard anything yet, but it's still early in the game.
If I do get a "yes", I'll post in this thread, and post my evaluation of it when it is in publishable condition...and since lasers get their final "star" rating quite quickly, the wait for the product's final rating will be up within a few days of the evaluation being published.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I heard back this morning, and the answer is yes *BUT* I'll need to pay a $250 deposit for a loaner unit...only trouble is, I don't have the $250. :shakehead: :( :shakehead:
I have ~$120, and it has to last until early-January.

So, I guess there will be no evaluation of a Blu-Ray laser on CPF - not from me anyway. :( :shakehead: :(

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
We could get a lil pitch in goin. :thinking: Maybe after the new year. Since it's only a deposit we'll all get it back. Maybe get one of Spec's units to compare it with. I'm down to pitch in $20, $25 for a few weeks, maybe a month or two. :grin2:

Just a thought.

luvlasers

Enlightened
I wonder, if you pay extra for the shipping, will wicked ship you the rest of the dvd player?

That way when your not using the laser, you can put the diode back in the dvd player (forget the trouble this would involve) and play dvd's.

Two for the price of one, Nice deal!

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
ajohnson said:
How come no one has done this with an xbox 360 external HD-DVD?
The diodes aren't powerful enough. A few milliwatts at best from what I hear. You need to get the burner to get enough power to make it worth while. I think the readers get around 2 to 5mW the burners get close to 30mW. I think spec's is around 25mW. :thinking:

Kenom

Enlightened
Ya know there are cheaper methods of getting bluray diodes than a ps3 sled. There are currently HD xbox sleds that can be found that can net you 150mw of bluray beauty. Or you can extract a diode from a 6x bluray burner drive and get up to 200mw. I have built 10 bluray lasers ranging in the power levels of 50mw-150mw all for roughly $200-$400 in my Kryton laser barrels. The bluray laser in the video's is a 90mw bluray.

gbbarrel003.jpg

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1379409/blu_ray_laser_spyrograph

daguin

Newly Enlightened
I build and sell 405nm hand held lasers in the 140mW-160mW range. I sell them for $200 - $350.

My personal blu-ray laser puts out 180mW.

Peace,
dave