will a computer anti-static bag protect my Mag85 bulb while changing it?

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could I use a computer anti-static bag to protect my new WA1185 bulbs from fingerprints and skin oil while changing bulbs on my Mag85?

(Holding the new bulb with an anti-static bag while I change bulbs...)

lebox97

Enlightened
huh?
it's not a static issue... it's a dirty bulb/oily fingers/bulb contamination issue.

rubbing alcohol + tissue paper/kleenex, clean towel etc to hold the bulb while you insert/install it is all you need
:shrug:

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another question...will undercharged batteries cause any harm to my light when I try to turn it on?

Edit: New problem.I got the bulb changed,but it won't light up. Could the batteries have lost their charge?

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
if the batteries are at half charge or drained and the light is direct drive, nothing will be damaged, just your lamp might not turn on until the battery is juiced enough to provide enough current to light the lamp

if the light contains a driver circuit such as a soft starter, depleted cells may have a nominal voltage at open circuit, but once the driver starts drawing current the voltage will sag dramatically...once it goes below the minimum Vin of your driver the light will not function, but there wont be any damage.

Overcharged batteries wont either :) , not on the Mag85, just your cells may reduce in capacity.

I find it incredibly hard to destroy the mag85...I use it as a utility light, other than the lamp and the window...everything else is drop-kick resistant

may I ask what charger you are charging your batteries with?

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
WA1185s are usually driven with 9 cells if your going with NiMH, some users have reported successful driving it using 10 cells, I'm pretty sure the 1185 has enough overhead flexibility to take the extra current of cells fresh off the charger.

chargers don't really have V/I readings, just a charge indicator light. If you have a DMM I'd give it a check. a resting pack of 9AAs would yield ~10.8V and ~13.5v off the charger.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
(Holding the new bulb with an anti-static bag while I change bulbs...)

I've used a tiny plastic bag to install lamps to reduce the likelihood of fingerprint oil being transferred to the envelope (glass). It provides for a better grip than things like work gloves, rags, paper towels etc.

I've read that it's bad to run brand new batteries without charging them first for the sake of the batteries.