Will a Strion Bulb fit in a Scorpion? YES!

Ben H

Enlightened
Will a Strion Bulb fit in a Scorpion?

Ben

Update:

I just got the Scorpion and the Strion Bulb. I easily swapped the 6V bulb for the 3.7V Strion Bulb, dropped in a 17670, clicked the switch, and out came nice bright light!

I did notice one problem. To get the beam focused the head had to be unscrewed to the point where the head no longer seals against the rubber body. It looks like there is enough room for an o-ring to seal everything up if I can find the right size. (A size 115 O-ring works perfectly!)

I can forsee this Li-ion Scorpion getting a lot of use. I already had the batteries and charger, so I spent around $50 shipped for this small, bright, rechargeable setup. You can get a Strion and battery with no charger for around $70 shipped. If I like the Li-ion Scorpion then maybe I'll pick up a Strion, but I like the clicky of the Scorpion.

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Will a Strion Bulb fit in a Scorpion?

Strion bulb will fit in Scorpion but you will need a 17670 to power it.
Great rechargeable solution.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast

What would be the point though? Wouldn't the Strion just be a better choice?

EDIT: I guess the $70 cheaper pricetag of the Scorpion might have something to do with it, as well as the Strion (bulb) being brighter.

Hm...

Last edited:

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast

It works perfectly with a strion bulb and a Pila 168S Li-ion cell. Plus, I like everything about the Scorpion and nothing about the Strion.(except the bulb).

Ben H

Enlightened

Thanks for the responses guys! I've got some 17670 cells laying around with nothing to do.

I've been using LED's exclusively for several years and always will. Recently though, I had to look for a lost set of keys at night. I had a 3W LED flashlight and a Tigerlight. Obviously, the Tigerlight is way brigher than the 3W LED, but what I realized is how much better colors stood out with the incandescent.

Now I'm searching for a small, inexpensive, reasonably bright, rechargeable lithium incandescent flashlight. I'm looking for any suggestions.

Thanks,
Ben

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

Decent quality rechargeable lights aren't cheap. The added cost of the charger and battery adds a lot to the price. Unless you're going to be using the light frequently (where you need to charge it at least once a week,) you'll probably be better off using a light with primary batteries.

Ben H said:
Now I'm searching for a small, inexpensive, reasonably bright, rechargeable incandescent flashlight. I'm looking for any suggestions.

Thanks,
Ben

Ben H

Enlightened

Are there any other manufacturers of rechargeable lithium incandescent flashlights beside Streamlight, Pila, and Wolf Eyes?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

Surefire?

Ben H said:
Are there any other manufacturers of rechargeable lithium incandescent flashlights beside Streamlight, Pila, and Wolf Eyes?

Ben H

Enlightened

Which Surefire model?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

The rechargeable models. Those were the ones that you were asking about weren't you?

If you can't find them on their web site, try this link

Ben H said:
Which Surefire model?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

Aside from the Strion, all of the Streamlight and Mag rechargeables also use NiCDs. How come the people at those companies don't know as much as the people who post on this site?

chevrofreak said:
Surefire rechargeables are expensive and still use the crappy NiCD cells.

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nicads can take a lot more charger abuse. Most people don't care to learn about the batteries. The manufacturer has to take the road with the least amount of potential problems.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry, I meant that to be facetious and rhetorical. You might get an argument about the charger abuse, but the overall life of NiCDs can actually be longer than NiMH batteries and they also tend to work a little better at colder temperatures (not by much at all, but a bit.)

And of course we know that NiMH batteries will generally outlast LIon batteries as well.

jdriller said:
Nicads can take a lot more charger abuse. Most people don't care to learn about the batteries. The manufacturer has to take the road with the least amount of potential problems.

Last edited:

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Brighteyez said:
Aside from the Strion, all of the Streamlight and Mag rechargeables also use NiCDs. How come the people at those companies don't know as much as the people who post on this site?

that's a very good question ;)

Ben H

Enlightened

Brighteyez, I am looking for a light that uses lithium ion batteries.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

Then the Strion would seem to fit the bill. I'm not sure as to the attraction or the need specifically for a LIon light, but the Strion is a pre-manufactured product that is backed by an outstanding warranty. And the output level seems to outdo most if not all of the 2xCR123 lights in it's size-class

Ben H said:
Brighteyez, I am looking for a light that uses lithium ion batteries.