• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired ~withdrawn~ Surefire L1 (gen 5ish) stock but better, because Nichia 219c!

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am offering this lightly modded L1. It has a stock tailcap, a stock KL1 head (mostly), stock driver, but I changed out the LED to a Nichia 219c at 4,000k, 90+ CRI. The light is so much happier now. I'm not sure if this is gen5 or 6, but the body is from the later batches.

This is definitely a lego, because I don't think the KL1 ever lived on an L1. That's fine, because I removed the driver from the KL1 and kept the unique 2-stage driver that makes the L1 so handy. Because this is a stock SF driver, I'd suggest running 3v cells only. As with the stock head, the hotspot is squarish up close.
I made a brass assembly for the electron flow, that houses the board with the spring. The middle part of the KL1 head, that normally holds both the driver and LED has been lathed out for the brass assembly and for a standard 16mm Noctigon MPCB, thermal epoxied into place.

Price drop: ~~WITHDRAWN~~ $95 (my one and only price drop, otherwise I'll just keep it) $108, paypal g&s, shipped free in the contiguous 48 states. No trades, first "I'll Take It" post wins over any PM communication in progress.
The tailcap and body are in excellent shape, can't see any scratches/ missing anodization. The head is more of a user, with a couple of dings on the edge of the bezel. It has some light staining from the torching process to get the head apart.
And no, the zippo ain't included :)

nY93dv.jpg

Business end, you can see the strip of blue glow I placed around the emitter.
l0XmDi.jpg

TgbFak.jpg

The other end
WBb5oo.jpg

Size reference
cZW7tZ.jpg

~D

Last edited:

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: WTS: Surefire L1 (gen 5ish) stock but better, because Nichia 219c!

What is the lumen output an how is the beam with the nichia?

archimedes

Flashaholic

Gen5 and Gen6 L1 tubes differ substantially in length.

I don't recall the exact measurements offhand, but if you have a known earlier version for comparison, it should be fairly obvious.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic

Beamshot please, if you're inclined... :)

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's definitely a Gen 6 body! Very cool light!

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks all! I will put up some beam shots tonight, too bright now.
This is the stock driver, because SF got it right with this one. So whatever the stock Lumens were, they are still. Maybe 60?
I've read that some have experimented w/ a 16340 at 3.7v, but I have not tried it.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Nichia L1
Both beamshots at 21' (7m)
irHgly.jpg

Comparison with a stock E2 incandescent
mFLfyR.jpg

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks all! I will put up some beam shots tonight, too bright now.
This is the stock driver, because SF got it right with this one. So whatever the stock Lumens were, they are still. Maybe 60?
I've read that some have experimented w/ a 16340 at 3.7v, but I have not tried it.

I'm guessing that this thing puts out a fair few more lumens than stock due to the more recent and efficient LED not to mention the huge improvement in tint and CRI.
I recently did a similar mod with an L2 (XHP50) and its currently my most used light around the house.
Very nice looking mod, someone's going to love this.

toastystuff

Enlightened

Is this available?