Wolf Eyes cree drop-in

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will these work in a G2? I just got my 170L ho and it won't light in my G2. I put it in my 9Z and it wouldn't light in that either.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm using standard batteries BTW.

Do you have the one with the outer spring on it? I ordered a D26 for my 6PD and I had to check to Surefire option so it included the outer spring. Actually the D26 for my D2AX and 6PD are identical. The one for the Surefire just has the outer spring on it. I am sure you can get the spring from PTS.

dsc00125qj6.jpg

Last edited:

Varmint1

Newly Enlightened
I have the outer spring. Still...nuthin. No magic installation required? Backwards batteries?

vertigo_2_20

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody know what the difference is, aside from the lumens and voltage requirements, between the Cree P4 (http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=6283&kw=d26&st=4) and the Luxeon (http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=6194&kw=d26&st=4), specifically runtimes, build quality, G2 fit compatibility, and beam quality? I don't really want to spend $40 on a bulb, but I will if I need to if the Luxeon one isn't as durable, doesn't fit the G2 properly, or is just in general a much lesser bulb. Also, I had the 3W Cree drop-in from DX until it broke when I dropped the flashlight a whole 1.5 feet, so I was wondering how these two bulbs compare to that in brightness. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

Glen C

Enlightened
Varmint, make sure the positive of the battery is pointing towards the LED.

Vertigo, the Luxeon is 80 lumens, the P4 is 170 lumens, quality is similar. P4 is newer technology, Luxeon older.

rs232

Newly Enlightened
There is much I dont understand.
First, regulated and unregulated, If I buy a WE SNIPER 6A and uses
1 x LRB-168A li-ion rechargeables, how long battery time should I have then with lets say
Cree P4 LED *170 Lumen* 3.7-6V D26 Bulb Fits: 6A, D2 and 6H. This bulb also fits Pila flashlights and SureFire™ flashlights that use a P60 bulb.
Specifications: Cree HO 3.7V-6V D26 lamp assembly

• Output: 170 lumens
  • Voltage: 3.7V-6V
  • Runtime (1x168A battery): 110 minutes with regulated output, 30 minutes with unregulated output Runtime
And second, if I use the 3.7-13V same type of lamp the the text says that it has much longer runtime, in the law of physics that shouldn't be possible, does the 3.7-13V lamp tend to dim with only one 168a battery?

KeeperSD

Enlightened
There is much I dont understand.
First, regulated and unregulated, If I buy a WE SNIPER 6A and uses
1 x LRB-168A li-ion rechargeables, how long battery time should I have then with lets say
Cree P4 LED *170 Lumen* 3.7-6V D26 Bulb Fits: 6A, D2 and 6H. This bulb also fits Pila flashlights and SureFire™ flashlights that use a P60 bulb.
Specifications: Cree HO 3.7V-6V D26 lamp assembly
  • Output: 170 lumens
  • Voltage: 3.7V-6V
  • Runtime (1x168A battery): 110 minutes with regulated output, 30 minutes with unregulated output Runtime
And second, if I use the 3.7-13V same type of lamp the the text says that it has much longer runtime, in the law of physics that shouldn't be possible, does the 3.7-13V lamp tend to dim with only one 168a battery?

The runtime should be 110 minutes regulated,meaning that it will maintain 170 lumens for 110 mintues, once this time has been reached the light will run for a further 30 minutes unregulated, meaning that the brightness will diminish throughout this 30 minutes. So in all you should get 140 minutes total runtime. Hope that was the question you were asking.

The 3.7v-13V will not be regulated with only the 3.7v cell, meaning that the extra runtime might consist of less output but for a longer time. I haven't actually used this drop in but that is my understanding of it.

Varmint1

Newly Enlightened
Hey Varmint1,
Please PM me with your order number so we can send you a replacement. Unless your the person I've been exchanging emails with (initials RV), your new module is on its way. ;)

That's me. I appreciate it.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
My 190L module should be here this week! I got the 3.7 - 6V one.
I plan to use a Pila 600S with 1500maH. Any ideas on runtime with it in my 6PD? I don't think I have read much here about a 190 module, does anyone have it?

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 3 of the 2 level Wolf Eyes 190 lumen D26 drop-ins. One in my D2AX. One in my 6MAX. And, one in my SF M2. I like the drop-in. Nice and bright with a very smooth beam. Works flawlessly. Has pretty good throw and great spill. I also have a BOG CREE Q5 coming this week that I can't wait to see.

tomcat017

Enlightened
I have 3 of the 2 level Wolf Eyes 190 lumen D26 drop-ins. One in my D2AX. One in my 6MAX. And, one in my SF M2. I like the drop-in. Nice and bright with a very smooth beam. Works flawlessly. Has pretty good throw and great spill. I also have a BOG CREE Q5 coming this week that I can't wait to see.

Ooh--I'd love to hear your impressions of the BOG drop in compared to the WE--I've been thinking about one too. Be sure to post when it comes!:twothumbs

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
My 190L module should be here this week! I got the 3.7 - 6V one.
I plan to use a Pila 600S with 1500maH. Any ideas on runtime with it in my 6PD? I don't think I have read much here about a 190 module, does anyone have it?
Ok it's here and I don't like it very much. Not sure how it is as ringy as it is with an op reflector, a yellow zone near the dead zone, a dead zone borders the hotspot and the hotspot is none brighter than my 15 dollar supertactical drop-in! At least it fits well.... I don't know, I almost feel ripped off. I will post a photo. I'll log in tonight for feedback.

IMG_1379.jpg
IMG_1378.jpg
Supertactical one

Last edited:

vertigo_2_20

Newly Enlightened
Sgt, I'm confused. Which bulb is that?

Regulator, if your stock LED has such a long runtime and a barely noticeable drop in brightness, why would you want one of the WE drop-ins simply because they're regulated? It's just more money and less runtime simply for regulation which it sounds like you don't really need anyways. Anybody else have any idea why this would be ideal?

After much research into the different drop-ins available, I think I've narrowed it down to either the WE 3.7-6v 130 or 170/190 or a Dereelight. I had a DX, which was very bright and of course cheap, but I paid the price for that "cost-savings." The module broke the first time I dropped it, and it was only from about 1.5 feet. After repairing it, it lights up again, but only very dim. I think the circuit got messed up and now it won't draw very much current at all, so now I have a long-running, low-output reading light. But I would not recommend the DX drop-ins to anyone that relies on their light. Spend the extra money and get something of quality, which is what I'm hoping the WE's and/or Dereelights are. Not to mention from runtime graphs elsewhere on the forums the WE ones seem to have a better runtime/output combination than the DX ones.

So my questions are: How do the beams compare between the WE 3.7-6v 130 and 170/190 lumen modules (I prefer the longer runtime of the 130, and many people have said the 170 is not much brighter, but somebody said earlier in this thread the 130's beam is not very pleasant), how do the WE's compare to the Dereelights, where can I find a WE 3.7-6v 130, as PTS only has the 3.7-13v 130 and 3.7-6v 190, and why does WE's site list the 3.7-6v HO as 170 and PTS has it listed as a 190?

jbviau

Enlightened
Vertigo, I've got a WE 3.7-13v 130 lumen drop-in and a WE 4-mode 3.7-6v 170 lumen drop-in (no longer sold by PTS) that was sold as high-output (HO). I don't have answers to all of your questions, but here's my experience.

Of the two I prefer the 4-mode HO drop-in because (a) the beam *is* a little nicer, as you suggest; (b) it's regulated with a 17670 li-ion rechargeable battery, unlike the other; and (c) most importantly, it has medium and low modes, which give me that long runtime you mentioned. I don't see a real difference in maximum brightness between the two drop-ins though.

Re: the discrepancy between 170 lumens and 190 lumens in the HO drop-ins, my understanding (possibly incorrect) is that the 170s have Cree P4 LEDs just like the 130s do. The 170-lumen P4s may just be cherry-picked as the brightest of the bin, or they may be driven harder relative to the 130-lumen ones. In contrast, the 190s have Cree Q2 LEDs, i.e. a different and better bin of LED entirely. Maybe Mike@PTS will weigh in on this issue.

Hope that helps...

vertigo_2_20

Newly Enlightened
jbviau, I think you're right about the difference between the 170 and 190. The D36 170 is a P4, and the D26 190 is a Q2. I still don't understand the bins all that much, but I'm assuming P4 and Q2 are the same die, and therefore the same efficiency, just the Q2 is a little higher quality and therefore has slightly higher output, is that correct? My question then is, where are the 150 watt Q2's? :naughty: Since I want my G2 to be a simple on/off flashlight, without different modes to mess with (I plan on getting a Fenix P2D for that), not to mention the extra cost for the digital module, and the 130 lumen one's runtime should be good enough for me, and the 3.7-6v one does regulate with a single Li-Ion, I think that's the one I want to go with. But I am concerned about the beam quality, how much worse is it? And, of course, I need to be able to find it to buy it, which looks like it may be a problem.

Sgt, I'll agree the beam doesn't look good compared to the cheap ST module, in fact it looks downright awful, but how do the peripheral sidespill, build quality, and the regulation and runtimes compare?

jbviau

Enlightened
Hi again. I'm no expert on LED bins, so I'll leave that to the experts. The beam on my 130-lumen WE drop-in is not bad at all (barely ringy, nice even spill, etc.), so I wouldn't worry about that aspect of it unless you're into white-wall hunting. When I first got it, it was a huge step up from what I was used to, and I loved it. Good luck finding the 3.7-6v version! Maybe try the Marketplace?

vertigo_2_20

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, you guys have been a great help. I guess I'll start the search for a 3.7-6v 130. In the meantime, I take it nobody has had experience with these modules and the Dereelight ones for comparison?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
RE: wolfeyes
Build quality is good, it's heavy! side spill isn't as great, run time is a little less, regulation is better. I guess I was expecting a bigger brightness jump - the beam quality being so funky just made it a bigger letdown considering the price. Crap man......

Last edited: