• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired World Smallest Titanium Light using a High Power Nichia 219B (Updated run-tim...

RGRAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does any members think I should not enter this picture?

Last edited:

phosphor22

Enlightened
Gotta admit I am mighty curious about the upcoming "special edition" ! (see posts #98 and #108)
Have to wait a bit longer to find out...

Last edited:
If you are a member, PLEASE READ THIS. We need your opinion!

Does any members think I should not enter this picture?

I'm sorry, you feel so upset about my decision. I feel like it would have been unfair and un-ethical towards the others, to try and judge something I have already put a lot of work into ....driving 3 hours to to get to that place, hours of waiting to take that shot....editing. I wanted all of you, to take your own shoot. and it seemed pretty clear to me, that I wanted YOU, to take the photo. "There is not many rules about this part, you don't have to use professional grade cameras, you can shoot with phones or even with film cameras. Feel free to be creative. Although it goes against my best judgment, I will allow other members to chime in. So please, if you think, RGRAY should be able to enter the contest with a photo, based on a shot I took, let us know, and he'll be granted to enter (The photo was downloaded from my Flickr. account). So Richard, we'll leave it up the the members to decide the fate of your submission. Also, I'd like to say, that I think I'm being very generous with giving a light away, when I'm not even close, to recover my cost of making these. So please, try and appreciate this gesture, when you're telling me, how upset you are. Thank You for your attention!

Last edited:
Gotta admit I am mighty curious about the upcoming "special edition" ! (see posts #98 and #108)
Have to wait a bit longer to find out...

I promise you, it will worth the wait!:) It should be announced with pictures along with the Brass version early-to middle next week.

RGRAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are a member, PLEASE READ THIS. We need your opinion!

I'm sorry, you feel so upset about my decision. I feel like it would have been unfair towards the others, to try and judge something I have already put a lot of work into ....driving 3 hours to to get to that place, hours of waiting to take that shot....editing. I wanted all of you, to take your own shoot. and it seemed pretty clear to me, that I wanted YOU, to take the photo. "There is not many rules aI bout this part, you don't have to use professional grade cameras, you can shoot with phones or even with film cameras. Feel free to be creative. Although it goes against my best judgment, I will allow other members to chime in. So please, if you think, RGREY should be able to enter the contest with a photo, based on a shot I took, let us know, and he'll be granted to enter (The photo was downloaded from my Flickr. account). So Richards, we'll leave it up the the members to decide the fate of your submission. Also, I'd like to say, that I think I'm being very generous with giving a light away, when I'm not even close, to recover my cost of making these. So please, try and appreciate this gesture, when you're telling me, how upset you are. Thank You for your attention!
Then let your wife judge the pictures?
My forum name is RGRAY not RGREY
My first name is Richard not Richards but they call me Rick.

Why should I care about the effort you put into the shot?
You should have said, IT MUST BE YOUR PICTURE.
Where did it seem clear that YOU wanted me to take the picture?
AND I was creative?
I can not. take pictures, so I shouldn't enter?
Suppose I saw a "commercial product picture" that I thought your light would look good in, I shouldn't use it?

Why are you bring up your generosity?
That has nothing to do with this.

I told you I was going to use the picture

One more thing, why are you asking members to post their entries here?

This is a for sale forum and all that will do is keep your thread at the top of the forum.

These entries should not be posted here.

write2dgray

Enlightened
My sentiments exactly. I would have to think that if I took rgrays image and touched it up or changed the background some and submitted it he would take offense in the same way as George.

helios123

Enlightened
IMHO, George should be the person to judge and set the rules. He's the person offering the reward anyways..:) Remember this competition is based also on his photography hobby so I think George will most likely be more interested to see someone take an original shot..since my brother is also a photographer, I know that using someone else's photograph is almost like a 'taboo' in the photography world hence why many photographers use signatures or watermarks on their photos..just my humble opinion. :) Im curious to see what others think..

Last edited:
Then let your wife judge the pictures?
My forum name is RGRAY not RGREY
My first name is Richard not Richards but they call me Rick.

Why should I care about the effort you put into the shot?
You should have said, IT MUST BE YOUR PICTURE.
Where did it seem clear that YOU wanted me to take the picture?
AND I was creative?
I can not. take pictures, so I shouldn't enter?
Suppose I saw a "commercial product picture" that I thought your light would look good in, I shouldn't use it?

Why are you bring up your generosity?
That has nothing to do with this.

I told you I was going to use the picture

One more thing, why are you asking members to post their entries here?

This is a for sale forum and all that will do is keep your thread at the top of the forum.

These entries should not be posted here.

Rick, for misspelling your name I apologize, it has been corrected since then. As far as your suggestion about my wife judging the contest, we run into the same issue, of being un-ethical to judge. There is a reason, judges normally are not allowed to judge their own work. Clearly, you are very upset, but please try and look at it from my perspective too. It is the first contest I have posted here, and some of the rules might not be very clear about what is allowed, and what isn't, which is my mistake, but it really haven't crossed my mind, to specify that you cannot use MY own shot. I'll be sure, to specify them a little better in the next one. Anyways, I need to get to work, so please let us know, what you think! As far as independent judges judging the contest, I'm ok with that too. If there is at least 15 members, who hasn't purchased the light, and would like to judge the contest, please let me know, and I will make a separate post on an other sub-forum, and we can move submission pictures over there. The reason I asked people to post their entry in this post, so it would be easy to find with all the other shots people shared when receiving their light, also to help people decide, if it is something they should purchase or not. It is an active sales thread, so it will stay close to the top until all sold. Thank you for all the opinion about this small matter, and if you're willing to be a judge for this contest, please let me know. Thanks!

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
One post deleted for rudeness. Let's take a deep breath, and maybe discuss things via PM instead of here. Rules can't possibly be all thought of in advance, and at the end of the day it's flashlights, and supposed to be fun. Builder's thread, builder's rules, folks. Let's play nice.

Greta

Flashaholic
I see scout24 has affectively and efficiently dealt with the "sandbox behavior" in this thread so I'll leave that alone.

BUT
- I will not leave the blatant plagiarism alone. As a photographer myself, there is nothing that ticks me off more than having someone use one of my photos as their own without giving me any credit for it. THIS is just flat our dishonest, unethical, and at the very least bad form. In the case of this contest and the "rules", I personally fail to see why such a rule as "you can't use my photo" has to be said. I mean.. seriously?!?!? Why would ANYONE think it's ok to use someone else's work?!? I don't give a damn if you "edited" it or not! It's NOT YOUR WORK!! :mad:

My vote? A big fat NO!! RGRAY's submission to this contest should NOT be allowed!

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh boy - this thread has gotten very personal and touched a lot of people in negative ways. I think the rules of the contest should be clearly re-written with whatever expectations there are to be.

In regards to the picture - my initial thoughts were that it was pretty cool. I assumed RGRAY had taken a picture of the light and Photoshopped it into another picture. The question over submission really goes to the source of the two superimposed pictures. I am unclear if RGRay took the picture of the light itself. The background is obviously a picture from somewhere else, but is it in the public domain? Is it a picture that is allowed to be freely re-used, or is it someone else copyrighted work? If the picture is public domain (please provide proof of source and re-use license) and RGRAY took the picture of the light, then I say it is free to be used for said contest. Otherwise - no.

Now, in reality this picture has caused such controversy in this thread that using it becomes a generally bad idea.

I am not sure what I am going to for a picture. I'm thinking something that will show it's size in scale to other flashlights. Or maybe something that tricks the viewer into thinking the light is really bigger than it appears.

---------------

On another topic - I highly recommend any future buyers to have the tail screw installed and threadlocked (hopefully with red threadlocker). This light will get easily lost if not attached to a keychain or something of greater size. I'm afraid to just toss it in my shorts pocket around the house as if it falls out I'll be searching for days.

YummyBacon!

Enlightened
George certainly has class & patience… I doubt I'd handle this as gracefully as he has. :thumbsup: Looking forward to getting one of these little gems!

Oh boy - this thread has gotten very personal and touched a lot of people in negative ways. I think the rules of the contest should be clearly re-written with whatever expectations there are to be.

In regards to the picture - my initial thoughts were that it was pretty cool. I assumed RGRAY had taken a picture of the light and Photoshopped it into another picture. The question over submission really goes to the source of the two superimposed pictures. I am unclear if RGRay took the picture of the light itself. The background is obviously a picture from somewhere else, but is it in the public domain? Is it a picture that is allowed to be freely re-used, or is it someone else copyrighted work? If the picture is public domain (please provide proof of source and re-use license) and RGRAY took the picture of the light, then I say it is free to be used for said contest. Otherwise - no.

Now, in reality this picture has caused such controversy in this thread that using it becomes a generally bad idea.

I am not sure what I am going to for a picture. I'm thinking something that will show it's size in scale to other flashlights. Or maybe something that tricks the viewer into thinking the light is really bigger than it appears.

---------------

On another topic - I highly recommend any future buyers to have the tail screw installed and threadlocked (hopefully with red threadlocker). This light will get easily lost if not attached to a keychain or something of greater size. I'm afraid to just toss it in my shorts pocket around the house as if it falls out I'll be searching for days.

Thank You, for your input SOYCD. The biggest issue with the image was, that it was shot by me.... so in no way I could've judged the composite image. Do I judge the background, which by itself is one of my best shot, or do I judge the Photoshop work of RGRAY making a composite. Either way, I own the copyright to the picture, and I should have been asked explicitly for permission of using my photo. It has an "All right's reserved" under my Flickr account, and has a digital watermark. I will modify the contest rules, and add, that copyrighted pictures of mine or someone elses will not be permitted. Anyways, thanks for your input!

One post deleted for rudeness. Let's take a deep breath, and maybe discuss things via PM instead of here. Rules can't possibly be all thought of in advance, and at the end of the day it's flashlights, and supposed to be fun. Builder's thread, builder's rules, folks. Let's play nice.

I see scout24 has affectively and efficiently dealt with the "sandbox behavior" in this thread so I'll leave that alone.

BUT - I will not leave the blatant plagiarism alone. As a photographer myself, there is nothing that ticks me off more than having someone use one of my photos as their own without giving me any credit for it. THIS is just flat our dishonest, unethical, and at the very least bad form. In the case of this contest and the "rules", I personally fail to see why such a rule as "you can't use my photo" has to be said. I mean.. seriously?!?!? Why would ANYONE think it's ok to use someone else's work?!? I don't give a damn if you "edited" it or not! It's NOT YOUR WORK!! :mad:

My vote? A big fat NO!! RGRAY's submission to this contest should NOT be allowed!

Thank You, for both of your interaction, and keeping the forum clean and civilized! It looks like, there is not one person , that supports that this photo should be allowed in the contest, including ME, so this photo will not be judged, and any further discussion about this matter is closed. I will leave my original shot it in the photo thread, where I originally posted this, to show off my work.
As far as the rest of the contest entries, please keep them coming! Thank you for all your support:)

Last edited:

og44

Newly Enlightened
My vote is that Richard's first submission should absolutely NOT count.

If it were my flashlight, thread, generous free contest, stolen photograph, etc. You wouldn't get another entry due to your rudeness. George has been nice enough to offer you another chance to enter.

Take your own photo of your own light using your own creativity.

Side note - You call out a few typos in his response, but you have typos in almost every sentence you type, that is hilarious to me.

Pbnstevo

Newly Enlightened
RGRAY's entry should absolutely not count, especially after he carried on like that... Someone had a parents who caved easily haha.

Latest posts