Yah FINALLY! Tiny Petzl headlamp

paulr

Flashaholic
Released at SHOT show. 3 white leds, 1 red led, runs on two 2032 cells, weight 0.8 ounces, fits in a small, pocketable carrying case including its thin elastic headstrap. Kinda expensive ($27.50) but I've wanted something like this for years and will surely buy one when I'm feeling less cash-strapped.

http://www.brightguy.com/products/Petzl_E+Lite.php

r0b0r

Enlightened
With the 3 White LED's those batteries will be sucked lifeless very quickly.

If you want something tiny with a red LED that runs on 2032, then why not the Photon Freedom w\ the little clip doodad?

Seeing as it has variable brightness, the battery life for the red model would be pretty decent. Cheaper than the Petzl if you're only after the redness.

Bearcat

Enlightened
That is a dream come true for someone who needs a small light weight packable headlamp. I wonder if the specs. are accurate or just hype, because it sounds too good to be true.

Thanks, for the heads up.

AdamW

Newly Enlightened
Somebody needs to build one that runs on one AA. The circuit to run it won't weigh very much.

Focal

Newly Enlightened
I have this light. It's VERY BLUE!!!

Neat little package though... hope they choose better emitters for the next revision.

paulr

Flashaholic
r0b0r said:
With the 3 White LED's those batteries will be sucked lifeless very quickly.

If you want something tiny with a red LED that runs on 2032, then why not the Photon Freedom w\ the little clip doodad?
The Photon Freedom clip doodad has no headband and won't easily stay on a narrow one like the Petzl thing, and you can't really put a baseball cap in your pocket.

Battery drain is going to be limited by the cells' internal resistance which is quite high, so the batteries should last a rather long time even with the white leds. For example, try running a Fauxton (2x2016) to exhaustion--they last amazingly long with about 1/3 the battery energy of this Petzl.

Too bad about the led color and I wonder if they're using the most efficient available leds--any idea if modding the thing is feasible?

I actually don't like the Petzl design that much, but it fills a void that has been gaping for a long time.

Re 1AA: yes we still need a 1AA headlamp, however the new Pentagonlight MOLLE light is kind of interesting and there might be a way to set it up as a headlamp. Should also work nicely clipped inside a shirt pocket. Basically it's a scaled down (1AA) version of the old-fashioned Fulton 2D angle-head light, supposedly running 30 lumens for 4 hours on one AA.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Paul,

There has been a couple of discussions on this light over in the headlamp section.

It is a very handy light. It does have a blue tint to it, but is less blue than my ARC AAA. I have been using mine for over a month now for odd jobs around the house. I am still on the original set of batteries.

I was able to pack an extra set of batteries in the case with the light. It is a little snug, but it works quite well. I picked up some extra batteries at AmondoTech for $0.25 each.

The big problem that has come up is that several people have noticed flickering. This seems to be due to switch problems. If you get one, make sure you try it out for a few days before you actually need to use it.

A minor problem from my perspective is that it illuminates my nose. In pitch black conditions, I find this a little distracting.

It has a very clever design. The clip works well with clothing, but I don't think it would fit on a hat brim. It can free stand and you can adjust the light to point where you want. This has turned out to be very useful.

I think it is worth the price, but the switch issue is concerning. Someday I plan to do a runtime test in the freezer to see how well the lithium batteries hold up to cold conditions.

Tom

AlexSchira

Enlightened
Just picked this up yesterday from a camping store that just opened near me. Cheapest LED headlamp they had, I'd never seen one before I saw them hanging in the store. But once I turned the thing around to see how big it was, it was love at first sight.

Testing it out after dark, I got a feel for its designed purpose. It's marketed as a 'It just hit the fan' light that you can let sit around for a decade thanks to the lithium cells. It comes with the hard, watertight case because backpackers could benefit from keeping this buried in thei packs until their primary lights bite the dust. The features favor the 'Get out of there' mindset rather than 'Let's go hiking all night'. On fresh batteries, even though it isn't regulated...This little guy is BRIGHT! Really shocked me.
That was the Economy Mode. The 'bright' mode...Just wow, Nichia at its best.

They clock it at forty five hours in the Economy mode, thirty five on high. That's far more runtime than you need to get out of the woods, administer first aid, or help everyone through a fire escape possibly carrying an injured person.

Considering the light, strap, and case are about the size of a full-size headlamps light body without strap, sarcificing full size cells for being able to take this thing anywhere is a fine choice.

Would I rely on this as a primary hiking light? No, that's what the bigger lights are for, they don't market this as an emergency light so they can slap on the Red Cross logo for appearances. I've heard that some ultralight hikers only use Photons. Those guys, will love this thing and find it fine the way it is.

I'm a fan of Photons and their clips, but this little guy beats them out with the two beam types, better strap and clip stability, output, and runtime. For a year now I've been known for clipping a Photon to a bandana for a headlamp, but trying the strapless E+Lite on the bandanna I was wearing that day, it held much tighter and was easier to move around with the ball socket.

I give the Photon a few main edges...magnets, the EDC ability, variable output at your choosing, and pirce.

I have enough coin cells around that I wouldn't feel guilty using this darling in a blackout or working on something in the dark, but I'm also considering it an essential new addition to what I call my 'splat vest', a serious survival kit packed into a Ranger-style pocketed vest. Just a week before I found this light, I was griping to myself that I couldn't fit a headlamp into it comfortably, and that the Photon/Clip combo just didn't seem reliabe enough.

It's 27 grams with strap, 46 in its little case. You could very easily carry this thing without the strap and case if you use the clip on a bandanna or hat brim, it's designed so you can flip it around on the socket to protect the LEDs, plus, the switch locks out very firmly for long storage.

I'd feel very safe giving these as gifts to people who don't own any headlamps. The Photon is the perfect anywhere-EDC, this E+Lite is the perfect headlamp for stowing away until you need it. Perfect car light, backpacker gear, even in an EDC bag or purse it wouldn't be noticed.

It's also one of the first headlamps that doesn't make you look like a coal miner for some reason, I think it's the small size combined wit how thin it is. When my girl first saw it clipped to my bandanna she commented that it was almost stylish in a geeky way.

Spordin

Enlightened
I wish someone would make a 1xAA or AAA headlamp with a 10+ hr runtime. It can't be that hard to do.

AlexSchira

Enlightened
That's the fifth time I've heard that just today.

...and it's still a very good question...

paulr

Flashaholic
The case weighs 19 grams?!!! Yowch! Thanks for the pointer to the other thread.

As for coin lights with clips, there's also the Countycomm SOLED:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/151301

I guess I shouldn't have referred to it as a headlamp but I was excited to find something that tiny that could be used handsfree.

I'm currently thinking this Petzl is too big and complicated. I'd rather just have a Countycomm-like 1-led light except with the LED sticking out of the front face perpendicular, instead of sticking out the edge. Then the other side could have a clip that you could attach to an ultralight elastic headband. The whole thing could sell for 1 or 2 dollars, based on the availability of 50 cent fauxtons.

It really does seem like a failure of imagination that nobody is making this.