Yet another EDC flashlight thread (AA pocket..)

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Hey Gang,
Long time member here, and it MIGHT just be time to replace the pocket flashlight. Search the threads, have some ideas (possibly a Mini MA, or a L3 L10)

I currently carry (pocket) an old EDC-60 that has seen better days (hint, it is more aluminum colored than anodized these days), but I like the UI. In my bag, I have a Zebralight Neutral white (high cri if I remember right) floody.

For a long time, I carried an old ARC-AAA (gave a bunch of them away) and an ARC-AA (carried that till my keychain actually wore through the hole)

Anyway, I'd like a simple UI - can be twisty, but then a max of 3-4 modes (low/high, maybe medium), or a tail clicky (ditto - only a few modes, no strobes, 3 levels is plenty_
One AA battery
Prefer a light around the size of the arc-aa (aka about the size of the Zebralight)
Out the front vs the side (one major issue with the Zebralight)
would like flashlight mode

Built like a TANK (the other major problem with the zebra) - aka I'd prefer a "critical" durability level. Ti is good, Stainless is good
IPx7 or IPx8 waterproofness is good
30-60 minute run time at say 40 lums is good, Less at higher is OK (some sort of turbo)
Most use will be reading docs, looking in computers under a desk, looking around the dark corners of the garage, checking the fuse box, etc. Throw for me is defined as 20-30 feet, maybe 40
High CRI neutral white is a MUST

basically, a floody, HIGH CRI AA EDC tank that will sit in my pocket through thick and thin, rain and shine, maybe falling in water, built to last the next decade+

price? I'd go $200, but would like to keep it under $100 if possible

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagletac D25A Ti N219, although I wouldn't call it, or the MA and L10, "tanks." For tanks, McGimzo has a AA N119 (over budget), Malkoff has the MDC AA (no HCRI).... Maybe a Peak HCRI El Capitan?

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Eagletac D25A Ti N219, although I wouldn't call it, or the MA and L10, "tanks." For tanks, McGimzo has a AA N119 (over budget), Malkoff has the MDC AA (no HCRI).... Maybe a Peak HCRI El Capitan?
Which model is the McGizmo? I can stretch for the right light, I put down $200 as a "I can't see it going more than that", but really, for the right light....

I saw a munch of "issues" with the Eagletac (folks saying that it has reliability issues, which makes it a "NO" - I ordered an L10 on a "for that price, buy both" but still looking for "THE LIGHT" so thread still relevant. The Malkoff is out (high CRI is a must). I'll look at the peak

Like I said - the main issues
1)High CRI
2)Simple UI
3)built like a tank - waterproof, NEVER FAILS, doesn't accidently turn on
Next down
1xAA - willing to look at 1xAAA, and will stick with 1xCR123 (that's what I've carried for years)
Basically think small EDC, that can be carried in a suit, but rugged enough that when I'm in my coveralls in the machine shop, it'll hold up a decade+

I've gone away from the "buy lots of lights" mode years ago to the "I want one GOOD LIGHT" - I don't even have a clue where my surefire E2 (original) or 9N are hiding (I thing the 9N is in the door pocket of my truck as a throw light). I've gone to Quality vs Quantity

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
Between asking for being built like a tank and needing something primarily around 40 lumens, my immediate thought was Peak.

There are three places to order one:

http://www.peakledsolutions.net/
http://www.oveready.com/peak-flashlights/17500/aa-peak-logan/prod_147.html
http://www.em-mgt.com/LED/MOUNTAIN.html

em-mgt.com does not at this time appear to be selling anything other than cool white in the AA 'El Capitan' or the Logan 17500 which can take a AA with an adapter.

oveready.com does carry neutral white in their Logan 17500/AA in the different heads (narrow optic, large optic, mule). But upon temporarily selling out of a tint in a certain head, I'm not sure how you find out when they'll restock a certain tint + head. Right now the neutral white is available only in a mule head which has no hotspot since it has no reflector. However, oveready.com as excellent thorough communication so I'm sure they 'd be happy to help you with any additional questions.

So that narrows it down to http://www.peakledsolutions.net/
There both the AA 'El Capitan' and the AA/17500 'Logan' can be ordered in neutral white in a narrow optic or medium optic.

Caution:
I briefly had a AA/17500 'Logan'. The max lumens seemed to my eyes to be around 60 to 70 lumens. I say "caution" only to be sure you're aware before buying one that that's the maximum brightness on a NiMH battery.

When you have the time, you can find further information and beamshots in the Peak subforum:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?64-Peak-LED-Solutions

Last edited:

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
The Peak looks interesting. Might pick one up. The L10 showed the other day, and is in the pocket for now, we'll see how I like it. The UI not remembering the last setting is a bit annoying, but I can understand why. Already covered it in a 9x13 turkshead in REAL dreadnaught cord (yes, I actually have some)

dml24

Newly Enlightened
I been using the Olight EOS i2, single AA, water resistant to IPX-8 standard. Not as bright as some lights mentioned here. 75 lumens on high. It's a simple head twister to get through the modes, remembers last mode. Proven reliable during a very cold winter here in border country.

The more expensive Olight S15 goes to max output of 260 lumens. A battery extender if optional that will allow upto 3AA batteries. No increase in output, but longer runtimes.

The Fenix e12 is getting many favorable reviews and now widely available.

Latest posts