you are only allowed one flash light for rest of your life.What is it ?

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whats the runtime looking like on these?
Better than the 123 tubes? if so, why isn't it standard as opposed to the 123 tubes, considering size is just about the same?
Runtimes are obviously longer than a 16340 battery. The reason why they aren't standard is because a 123 tube also works for a common size CR123 primary battery as an 18350 is Li-ion only. I actually prefer the 123 tube because I can either run primaries or li-ions

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
Runtimes are obviously longer than a 16340 battery. The reason why they aren't standard is because a 123 tube also works for a common size CR123 primary battery as an 18350 is Li-ion only. I actually prefer the 123 tube because I can either run primaries or li-ions
Interesting, thanks.

How major is the extended runtime? Im wondering if it's worth while looking in to? Would help knowing the difference betwen the 123 vs 350 runtime - I'm quite partial to 18350's for EDC much more than 123's. Especially for the size/weight of the light being basically the same... Seems like the 18350 would be the way to go.

I don't ever use primaries, and stopped stockpiling them years ago - plus my "shtf" light would be the HDS with a 2xAA body since AA's are beyond easy to source from remotes and everywhere else in the household or a local store. I feel 123's are more so than 18350, but nowhere close as easy to find than the AA's.

whiteshepherd

Newly Enlightened
That was a great way to keep yourself occupied during the pandemic.

I wouldn't recognize a super capacitor if I saw one, so kudos to you for having one, and knowing how to put it to good use.
Yeah that was when we were on total lock-down. It was a project I wanted to do, and figured I would make it from stuff around the house. Super capacitors hold about 1/4 the power of a battery. But they don't wear out (quick enough for us to notice in a lifetime), and can fully charge in tens of seconds! So when I build a custom flashlight I like to use super capacitors so it will be good for generations. I built a car battery out of super capacitors years back, and had a few small super capacitors laying around. Most the other stuff I had to scrap from old stuff. The lantern worked out well and surprised me, as I use it a lot. I made a few smaller versions for the car. A flashlight battery gets destroyed by hot/cold so often you go to use a car flashlight and batteries are weak/dead. But capacitors are not affected AT ALL by car temps. So I grab my car lights even after a few years, and they just work perfectly. Never worry about batteries.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
ML50LX LED 2-Cell C

Maglites just seem to last. The Mini-Mag isn't as durable, too small and lower lumens. The D cell lights are too big. I think for a common, easily found cell, the 2C cell ML50LX is the Goldilocks flashlight--not too big, not too small. It is a compromise light. Not too big to fit in a pocket or purse, but powerful enough to have good illumination and throw. It is the "CCW" of flashlights, the "pocket pistol". Hmmm, shoulder holster carry??! Uhmm, probably not. Appendix carry? Nope. Open carry, maybe.

Anyway, that is what I came up with, and why.

Now the only reason that I can think of as to why you could only have ONE flashlight for the rest of your life, would be something like an off-earth excursion, like a Mars mission, where you are size and weight restricted, and so limited to what you could take. However, with something as vital as light, redundancy must rule. Three is two, two is one, one is none.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't tried it, but I'm thinking a HDS Rotary with some kind of high CRI emitter. Basically the mil-spec, high CRI version of the Jetbeam RRT01 that I currently use, or the Sunwayman V11R (RIP) that it replaced. The only reason I don't have one is I figure if I use an inexpensive light for 5-7 years, the HDS would still be more expensive at a normal human lifespan, and of course there's always the risk of loss. Should I become independently wealthy I of course will buy one just because I like having nice stuff.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I could only have one then it would have to be built like a tank, ultra reliable and versatile.

Malkoff MD2 with M61 drop-in with High/Low ring and 2 x Single cell (SF A19 type) Extenders. In order to last a lifetime I'd probably replace the McClicky switch with a Surefire Z41 Twisty tailcap.

That would allow it to be carried in a pocket with 2 x CR123's or an 18650, it could be extended with one A19 to accept 3 x CR123's, 2 x 18500's or 2 x AA batteries, extended with another A19 to accept 4 x CR123's or 2 x 18650's.

If I was allowed an additional drop in for it then I'd have the M91T.

indigon

Enlightened
HDS Rotary hands down. Great UI.
Can't beat the variable tail rotary dial.
Variety of evolving emitter choices and battery configurations. Basically indestructible. Not cheap, but if you keep your eyes open you can find one reasonably priced. The 123 model pictured below runs on either a CR123 primary or 16430 rechargeable battery. Most reliable light I've owned.

hdsrotary.png

Last edited:

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, Malkoff MDC AA or a CR123 MDC with a 3.4-6v head. The MDC heads can also run a CR123 at lower output levels just fine. Switch, clip, lens, O rings, bezel are all user serviceable, not to mention E series threads can make a lot of options possible. Malkoffs CS is top notch. No need to send your light in and wait for a part, they will send you the part you need first without sending it in. If I can choose one to depend on with my life, Malkoff will be it. Order a light that's in stock, you'll get it in 2-3 days, not weeks.

Oh, and the most important part. They don't cost an arm and a leg

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

The yet to be made brushed titanium 21700 twisty
5~100~1000 lumens,, always starts on low
narrow spot optic, xhp35 hi emitter around 4500K
great pocket clip

I'll take two=:paypal:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
This question is a logical oxymoron. If only one light -- that means that something terribly wrong has happened. SHTF. The most abundant batteries everywhere are AA alcaleaks. So you have the only AA flashlight (any other source of power will exhaust very quickly; remember? -- there is no power supply anywhere) and use alcaleaks that eventually kill your only flashlight. Eh?

So, the only feasible plan would be is to have a bunch of AA lights, not one of them.