You don't need a flashlight

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don\'t need a flashlight

I've been EDC free for a couple months now, exception being a Photon on my keychain, and I'm still alive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif Of the few times I need a light my Photon will do. Along with my Infinity Ultra on my desk. A 2 cell clipped to my pocket is nice, but not necessary. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Re: You don\'t need a flashlight

shakes my head.naughty naughty. i now carry 2 edc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
I've been EDC free for a couple months now, exception being a Photon on my keychain, and I'm still alive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif Of the few times I need a light my Photon will do. Along with my Infinity Ultra on my desk. A 2 cell clipped to my pocket is nice, but not necessary. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I've discovered that none of these items is really "necessary", but oh yes some are "nice":

SureFire Tactical Lights & Lasers
TigerLight Defense Systems
Photon Micro-Lights
Microtech Tactical Knives
Fox Labs Premium Defense Sprays
On/Scene Tactical Holsters
QuiqLite
HID Xenon Lights
Bullet Resistant Clip Boards
Wildlife Prints
Thermal Detection Units
Petzl Headlamps
TerraLUX LED Replacement Bulbs
20% Off BlackHawk Tactical Gear!

Recognize this list? (from TW Website) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tombeis

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Others have died trying this. You have just been lucky Tex.

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

i once went edc free for a litte ride on my bike and nearly got hit by a car! sure, the idiot had no head lights on, but still. now i EDC a Shorelite and sometimes carry my Supra 9-LED (aka BowlingPinBeam in the chinese leds thread) CR123 device. also, for the times that i cant take my shorelite (it happened a few times) i carry a kit built 1 led doojigger that uses a circuit like the Linverter to run a single led of a single cell for about 16 hours continous. in a way, it is a mod, cos it puts a led where the norm. bulb goes, and has a 'dummy' booster cell.

neg

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tom, amateurs should not try this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

its better to have a light and not need it, than to need a light and not have it.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

For me a tiny, well made, reliable flashlight is like car insurance. No, I don't need one and it can be expensive. But I gotta tell you if you don't have it when you need it, you pay big time and it hurts!

GregR

paulr

Flashaholic

A Photon on the keychain really is enough for most of those situations though. I think tkl is mainly pointing out that we flashaholics sometimes let that get out of perspective.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened

You know, there are periods of time when I don't have any use for a light except to play, but jus this morning I was helping out with graduation and there were two instances where I needed a light. The first was going into a classroom completely filled with desks, tables, plants, etc. and no freaking light switch next to the door. There are no windows in the classrooms on that campus so it was pretty black. If I had to wander around in the dark I would've been swearing up a storm. The second time was a few minutes later when they sent me off in search of a missing podium. Security let me into the darkened theatre--again with no freaking light switches near the door and we had to scour an empty, completely dark theatre for the podium. If I had to walk around in the dark there I would probably had fallen off the stage (podium was right at the edge of the stage). And I probably would've torn my hair out trying to search that theatre with a photon. Luckily I had my trusty McLux PR X3T with me. It's times like those that justify my carrying a light with me at all times.

Gandalf

Enlightened

That's just plain foolish. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Now that summer is here (in America) I only EDC an Arc-AAA, and an Arc LSH-P. On my keychain is an UK 2AAA Pocketbright, which simply refuses to die, (probably 10 years in my pocket; the grooves and ridges in the plastic case are almost worn smooth) and serves mainly to hold 2 spare AAA batteries for the Arc-AAA. I also carry one extra 123 cell in the holster with my Arc LSH-P, and if I'm out at night wearing jeans, I carry 2 more 123's.

I can't count the times each day I use the 2 Arc lights, at home, at work and everywhere I go.

Twice in the past year or so I've been caught in an interior room during a power failure; one time I had to go through 3 doors to get to an exterior facing hallway with windows. Since it was after dark, the only light was from cars in the street, half a block away, and 7 floors down. I went around to all of the interior rooms on 3 floors, and people were mighty glad to see me. A few people had matches or a butane lighter, but no one except myself had a flashlight. The flashlights didn't save my life; I could have found my way out, but it would have been a painfully long process.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

yeah. my shorelite has been much use to me multiple times. down under in melbourne i get quite a few powa outages, and my shorelite was always there by my bed ready to lite up my path. my s-lite can be VERY useful when i have to get off the top of my bunk bed and down stairs to my sister where she is quivering like a little coward - sometimes im mean and i sit there watching for a while then shoot her with the light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Neg

jhereg

Enlightened

You might not need one, but I find that I do. I can do a lot of what I need w/ the Arc AAA I keep on a lanyard around my neck, but it just isn't bright enough some of the time. For that I use one of my 123 flashlights. It's currently my L1 or E2E. Granted, I don't need both the L1 & E2E plus the 2 - 4 other lights I may have in my pockets, but I need something brighter than a keychain light. It depends on where you live & what you do. Some of us need a brighter light.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is blasphemy to say you don't need an edc light at all times and to make such a statement in the valhalla of illumination. I wouldn't be surprised if your not excommunicated and sent in to the dark with wet matches and eternally dead batteries or a maglight. OH the horror

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

You sir have spoken Blasphemously!!!

No, I can't think of one time when having a light or not meant life. That said, every weeekday I have a TT2L on my belt.

Two or three times yesterday here around the house I found myself reaching for the empty place on my belt!

I will definately go with addage: Better to have and not need, than to need and not have!

Way to stir up the troops tkl!

simbad

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
juancho said:
WHY you dind't tell me THAT five months ago, before I spent the 5 THOUSAND???

Juan C..

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of people said that here, and me too.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif