You only can have 2 flashlights which one do you choose ?

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Someone started a thread a few days ago asking if he should buy the 10 or so lights that he wanted from China now, before the sanctions kick in. I just thought, but didn't say, that he ought to buy one decent US made light instead.
P

I think that all the time.

Rexlion

Enlightened
I can't get by with just two. Gotta have at least three. :grin2: In the order of importance:
1. A tiny EDC: Maratac AAA twisty. I use one of these constantly.
2. A night blaster: BLF Q8. I love this light! But it's not EDC'able.
3. A headlamp: any Zebralight H series, preferably in AA neutral tint.

Cosmodragoon

Newly Enlightened
This is tough. I can only have two? Like, for the rest of my life? I guess it breaks down to one for the big stuff and one for the little stuff. To make life simple and easy, here are two that'll run on Eneloops:

1. Jaxman M2 - This 2x AA flashlight is a nice size and feels good in my hand. It switches simply between two modes. You get a fairly bright high and a very usable low. (Advertised lumens are 400 and 50 respectively.) Low lasts a good long while. I prefer the 4300K version but it also comes in 5500K and 6000K.

2. Massdrop AAA Brass - I really like the Sofirn C01 for reading and some other things at night. However, the Massdrop AAA Brass with Nichia 219B is both excellent and versatile. The three modes are wonderfully spaced. It is a pretty flashlight that makes pretty light. The page still says "219B" but I've heard that the 219B isn't available anymore.

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-brass-aaa-pocket-flashlight

The titanium version also says 219B. However, the copper and aluminum versions both say 219C. I sent them an email and asked for clarification. Either way, I'd definitely recommend getting one in your preferred metal.

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-blue-titanium-aaa-flashlight

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-copper-aaa-pocket-flashlight

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-aluminum-aaa-flashlight

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS 250 Rotary & XPG2 Fury. OK, OK, gotta have my LX2, and throw in a P1R as well.

Pops

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff Hound Dog 18650: Mine rides in my bag with me everyday. It's on an MD3 body with a spacer.

Surefire L1 Gen6: Just EDC perfection. Mine is always in my pocket. No clicking, no rotating, no programming, no voodoo. Soft press low, hard press high output.

Cosmodragoon

Newly Enlightened
So I finally heard back from Drop (Massdrop) about their Brass and Titanium AAA pocket flashlights. They have all been changed from Nichia 219B to 219C. They just forgot to update the pages!

lunas

Enlightened
only 2
probably my Thorfire C8s+ or L2P with sportac XHP35-hd single mode module. <i have been planning on transplanting a XHP35 single mode into my thorfire having driver size issues>

and for my second
My thorfire s10 AA size light takes AA or 14500 100 lumen on AA or 300 on LI-MN... a second choice for a second would be my Rovy Von A2

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Derek my latest findings for my usage seems to mirror yours but my Zebralight is the H53C. I have really been enjoying it used off the headstrap as a regular flashlight and haven't found any issues holding or aiming the light. Bright enough, low enough, and good enough tint and color rendering. The second light that has been seeing a lot of use is the Olight I3S. Not hi CRI but good useable output levels with solid construction. On top of that the Zebra can feed off of a AAA battery if needed. If i had to choose two lights today, these two would be my choice.
1. Zebralight SC64c LE (or any other variant you prefer of the SC64 series). Small, pocketable 18650 light with excellent color rendering. Not only bright enough for all my needs, but also goes dim enough for my nightly visits to the bathroom. Small enough to always have with me, but with enough power to last for many hours, even days, at very useful light levels.

2. Countrycom Rev 5 Nichia 219 copper AAA light for my keyring. Even though I don't use this little light all that often, because I'll usually have the ZL in my pocket, I like always having a backup light (just in case), and since this is on my keyring, it's always with me. The copper wears well when used on a keying, and I like that it has 3 levels (always turning on in Medium), giving me a choice between more light or more runtime.

It was almost a tie for the 2nd light, as I tend to use a headlamp quite a bit, but when it comes down to it, it gives me a very secure feeling always having that little AAA light on my keyring as a backup light. I also have the Olight i3e copper AAA keyring light (which I really like). It's even smaller than the Countrycom Rev 5, but it only has one level.

By the way, welcome back to your addiction :devil:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
:sweat:If I had to...as of this moment, it would be my Thrunite TH20 (single A-cell) headlamp and the Sofirn C01 (single AAA-cell) in 3200K flavor.

...now ask me a month from now and it may be something different, but I would always choose a headlamp and a handheld.

Last edited:

g.p.

Enlightened
Emisar D4 (or D4s if size isn't a priority) for everyday use

and

A larger popcan light (Fireflies ROT66, Emisar D18, Noctigon Meteor, Astrolux MF01) for walks, camping, etc.

Last edited:

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS F89HG Exec Clicky and PflexPro Convoy S2+.

uCZEhQs.jpg
orV4vRt.jpg

Last edited:

GoVegan

Enlightened
Just two lights? Well the two I carry everyday:

Front left pocket: HDS EDC LE (XP-G2 250 lumens, with no pocket clip)
Keychain in front right pocket: Fenix E01

[Damn you Fenix, why you have to discontinue the E01!?]

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
This pair (my EDC) as I'm into low lumens with extreme: efficiency, runtime, and battery versatility.

47936789901_d829d5ef2b_k.jpg

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been thinking about this question ever since the thread started. When I decide on a light to acquire, I'm usually coming at it from the perspective of a collector: "is this light different enough from the lights I already have that I would use it?". But in the absence of a collection, the question becomes "how do I use my lights and what lights fit those roles as perfectly as possible?"

So, limiting the scope of the question to lights that I carry, I carry two types of lights: work light and backup light.

work light:
-- carried in a holster or clipped to my belt
-- large enough to be easily handled wearing gloves
-- primarily used to see into dark spaces during the day when my eyes are not adapted to low light

I find that a single-mode light with output somewhere between 30 and 60 lumens makes an excellent work light. Or a muti-mode light that can be programmed to start in the same range and doesn't have an annoying UI.

backup light:
-- small light that hangs from a suspension clip inside my front pocket
-- primarily used in low-light situations when my eyes are adapted to dark
-- secondary use is as a work light during the day held in my mouth for any task that requires 2 hands, so must have a bright mode.

Any AAA light that starts in Low is usually acceptable. My current backup light is a Thrunite Ti3 and I find it excellent in this role.

So what are my picks? The Thrunite Ti3 and Streamlight Polytac X.

The worklight was harder to pick. The other candidates were the HDS clicky and Malkoff M61WLL in a polymer host like a Surefire G2 or Blackhawk X6-P. I enjoy using incandescent drop-ins like the P60, but the short battery life takes them out of the running since I can't have a 2nd work light.

--flatline

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
SC64w & H52w probably.

I have carried a ZL every day since the SC52 was released almost 7 years ago and though I have a lot of other lights the ZL is almost always the one that I grab or think about first.
Never had one let me down unless you count the time before the SC52 when an SC80 tried to burn me down when I was in a Hospital visiting my Father?!

So the 64 is just about ideal for me as an EDC and so is the HL form factor and if I could only have 2 lights I would need an AA and an 18650 I think and with either of these I could conquer the World!

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
That (stainless? deanodized?) quark looks really nice. Can you give the specs?

It's polished titanium - the shell is from their special runs pre-2010. The engine is a low voltage (1-4.2v) programmable 1st gen Click series lego'd with the Ti shell. I have it programmed like my HDS - as 4 mode with ~10x mode spacing (0.4/3/25/250lms), mode memory, and moonlight/low toggle (~90% of my usage). I run a 16650 in it but it runs great with anything that fits in the tube (CR123, AA, AAA, 16340/14500, etc) with DIY spacers I keep in my wallet.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's polished titanium - the shell is from their special runs pre-2010. The engine is a low voltage (1-4.2v) programmable 1st gen Click series lego'd with the Ti shell. I have it programmed like my HDS - as 4 mode with ~10x mode spacing (0.4/3/25/250lms), mode memory, and moonlight/low toggle (~90% of my usage). I run a 16650 in it but it runs great with anything that fits in the tube (CR123, AA, AAA, 16340/14500, etc) with DIY spacers I keep in my wallet.

Wow. Very impressive EDC. I haven't seen many lights that cover all those fuel types. More common is 1-3.3v. Again, it really looks nice.

Latest posts