Zebralight is going to come out with flashlights! UPDATES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
- UI for the SC30/SC30f:
(similar to the H60) default setting Turbo, Med1, and Low1.
Double click to High, Med2, and Low2.
auto fall back to High from Turbo after certain time
Are you saying it goes high to low, instead of low to high when you hold down the switch?

kiwicrunch

Newly Enlightened
Please see original post for updates.

Thanks for the good news, I love my h501w.

Would you know what the model designations mean?:

-the difference between the SC30 and SC50?
-what batteries they use?
-what the "f" designation refers to?

Cheers.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something doesn't sound right. I don't want a headlamp with a side click switch. I hope George of Zebralight is reading this. You will have me as a customer again for at least the H51 if it has more throw than the H501 and still has 80 degree flood. If it matters at all, I would like to make a few suggestions.

1. Keep the low low like before.

2. Pump up the medium so it can be used on more tasks.

3. Really pump up the high for that extra brightness when needed.

4. Zebralight headlamps should be floody; otherwise what's the point.

5. In other words, don't try for throw at the expense of flood. Or you might end up with a headlamp that isn't good with either tasks.

6. Only release products when they are ready.

Thank you.

Last edited:

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the good news, I love my h501w.

Would you know what the model designations mean?:

-the difference between the SC30 and SC50?
-what batteries they use?
-what the "f" designation refers to?

Cheers.

Lillian didn't give much, she said that's all she knows.

I am thinking the SC30 uses CR123 like the H30 and the SC50 uses AA like the H50 headlamp.

I think the "f" stands for flood.

Shorty66

Enlightened
4. Zebralight headlamps should be floody; otherwise what's the point.

5. In other words, don't try for throw at the expense of flood. Or you might end up with a headlamp that isn't good with either tasks.

I disagree: I think zebralight rather needs to come out with a top thrower with a diffuser to get some flood if needed.
That configuration is the most useable in my eyes.
If you want pure flood, just take the normal Zebras with you.

There should be some sidespill on the new zebras but keep it rather tight (i recommend 60degree max) and low - the power is needed to get some useable throw.

And please think of an diffuser as an integral part of the light. I dont want to have to search for the diffuser in my backpack in order to use it.

Illum

Flashaholic
there are pics in the texas gathering thread.

edit:
grabbed them for you guys :p

DSC03808.jpg
DSC03816.jpg

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3110529&postcount=143

what the...heck?:thinking:
you can't come up here and post that teeny tiny pic and expect us to do nothing :twak:

Cool! I'd be in for one with a side switch.
looks like you might be right on that :thinking:

okay, csshih, next time, lease post pictures this size so we don't have to squint.

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I disagree: I think zebralight rather needs to come out with a top thrower with a diffuser to get some flood if needed.
That configuration is the most useable in my eyes.
If you want pure flood, just take the normal Zebras with you.

There should be some sidespill on the new zebras but keep it rather tight (i recommend 60degree max) and low - the power is needed to get some useable throw.

And please think of an diffuser as an integral part of the light. I dont want to have to search for the diffuser in my backpack in order to use it.

Nah, Zebralight headlamps are famous for that beautiful wide even beam. Don't get me wrong. I want some throw, but not at the expense of that ever-so useful beam. keep the beam the same. I like the beam on my H501 just fine. I want some throw without that wonderful beam being destroyed in any way.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just look at that side switch and tell me if that isn't the most ergonomic way to operate a light. You hold it with your hand extended in its most natural position and use your thumb to click. It makes sense for tactical use too. I usually barricade myself behind some protective barrier. With the side switch I can extend my hand as far away from my body as possible before I turn on the light. Side switch just makes sense.

lebox97

Enlightened
ay yay yay...
lol, everything is speculation and vaporware until they actually launch product. (maybe if we're lucky before the Holidays)

but since the cat has already been let out of bag...
AFAIK there are going to be:
- new-updated LED headlamp models,
- flashlights,
- multi-cell flashlights
translation - three(?) types of lights... (some of which will be smaller in size than current models)

Disclaimer: Read first sentence again...
;)

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast

I requested that a few weeks prior to knowing the H51 is coming out. But ZL said there are not plans to make a built-in diffuser on any of the new headlamps.

Shorty66

Enlightened
Seems like we have to mod them then.

@david: It really doesnt make sense to release a reflector version with the same angle which only has "a little more throw". If you want flood then buy the flood one.

I you want to make a light which is a usable thrower and keep the wide angle you would have to make a hotspot/sidespill beampattern where the sidespill is a lot darker than the hotspot. And a lot darker means, so dark you cant barely use the sidespill.
I would opt for the classic "fenix pattern": A nice hotspot with sidespill you can actually use.

Shorty66

Enlightened
There was one batch which had had issues with the waterproofing but in general the quality is top-notch.
And the service is good as well - those with lack of waterproofness were exchanged without hassle.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
So none of the hand held flashlights will come with the low1 or low2 setting as the default? I could see myself passing on buying this light if it does come on high or turbo first. Makes no sense to me, especially since I love the fact my Zebralight H-50 comes on low first.

Status
Not open for further replies.