How do your remove stuck D-cells in a Mag 3D?

SQ40

Newly Enlightened
I have a mag 3D with a stuck 2nd battery. No ammount of shacking or prodding seems to make it loosen up at all. I have removed the bulb, but cannot find how to open the tube up to try to force it out.. Any Ideas?

pizzaman

Enlightened
SQ40,

You probably have one or more of the cells leaking. The corrosion caused by the leak can seize the cells in the body.

Grab a can of WD40 and spray it liberally around the bottom cell. WD40 has penetrating properties and will slowly crawl around till it loosens the corrosion. Just put the flashlight away for at least 24 hours (head down) and let gravity and lubricant do the work.

You should be able to slide or "swing" the batteries out after this treatment. You can also try some gently tapping on the bottom battery to slightly push the batteries forward toward the head. This can also help break stubborn corrosion.

Good luck, Keep up posted, TR

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tube opens on D mags by undoing a hex setscrew inside the switch (take off the rubber and the setscrew is inside the hole in the switch center) and dropping the switch assembly down through the tube. You may still have trouble pushing the switch hard enough to move a really stuck battery. It may be easier to take the battery manufacturer up on their replacement guarantee.

Wilsonite

Newly Enlightened
Don't forget about the pesky snap ring that also holds the head in. It is located at the bottom of the bulb mast. (top of the actual switch assy)

I had a 4D do this. I used a combination of dunking in the tub, and WD as described above. (remove the reflector first)

HTH

Wilson

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
someone also mentioned trying to drill a hole in the bottom cell and use a slide hammer to knock it out. If you try that use plenty of protection etc it could be a little messy.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Louie said.
And, with a length of 3/4 inch inside diameter 40 schedule pvc pipe, hammer out the bulb post assembly from the top after leting the whole thing soak with wd40 overnight.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe you can ignore the snap ring if you do as I describe and loosen the switch and drop it down the bottom. But if it's impossible to drop the switch and battery, you may have to try undoing the snap ring, loosening the switch screw, and pulling things up the top. I've never been able to get the snap ring out myself.

Wilsonite said:
Don't forget about the pesky snap ring that also holds the head in. It is located at the bottom of the bulb mast. (top of the actual switch assy)

I had a 4D do this. I used a combination of dunking in the tub, and WD as described above. (remove the reflector first)

HTH

Wilson

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they are brand name batteries, just send it to the battery manufacturer and they will fix it or give you a new Maglite.

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
This is why I no longer use maglites (apart from the one in my car - 6C). I have had several battery leaks that sieze the cells in place, I threw away a 6D, a 3D, and I have a slighy patch of corrosion inside one of the 6Cs I have. This has always been with brand name batteries, I just don't know why it happens, at least with lithiums, they are never usually in the light long enough to leak or corrode, if they were prone to at all.

To remove cells, try hammering a large screwdriver into the base of the cell, then make a sharp bent hook, like a fish hook, out of coat hanger wire, and push this into the hole you just made. The 'barb' should catch, allowing you to pull on the wire (with vice grips, or a bench vice) and remove the cell/s.

tron3

Banned
I had a beautiful 6 cell mag with stuck cells. I think I tried the wd-40 to no avail. After attempting to pound it out, I threw it out in disgust when it got damaged.

Another MESSY and potentially hazzardous way is by using a thick drill bit to drill and dig it out.

Sigh, when I think of the lost mod potential of that Mag... :mecry:

Last edited:

SQ40

Newly Enlightened
A little Update..

Using a tapping motion on a hard surface, the 2nd cell came free and fell out.. BUT.. the 3rd Cell is stuck in with a ring of corrosion. I drilled a hole in the battery and inserted a long screw with a pull cord in the third battery.

A friend and I pulled on the batter and light with all of our might and after a few minutes the entire metal bottom of the batter came off.. (and we both hit the floor). So the rest of the cell is stuck in there. If the light will just come out the other end of the tube with hammering, I will try that next...

jeepilot

Newly Enlightened
I had a stuck cell in a 2D mag. I took the top and end off, threw it against a car tire. Battery popped out, but unfortunately, the bulb post broke off.

BTW, I'm new to CPF here. I've lurked a while, and am just getting into flashlights.

Anyone know any ways to prevent cells from leaking? I heard wrapping paper around the batteries before putting them in, can prevent/help with corrosion.

greenLED

Flashaholic
SQ40 said:
A little Update..

Using a tapping motion on a hard surface, the 2nd cell came free and fell out.. BUT.. the 3rd Cell is stuck in with a ring of corrosion. I drilled a hole in the battery and inserted a long screw with a pull cord in the third battery.

A friend and I pulled on the batter and light with all of our might and after a few minutes the entire metal bottom of the batter came off.. (and we both hit the floor). So the rest of the cell is stuck in there. If the light will just come out the other end of the tube with hammering, I will try that next...

Sounds like you need a new Mag host.

savumaki

Enlightened
:wow: it certainly gives me a warm feeling to know there are so many other
people that regularily check their bats :mecry:

K

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
jeepilot said:
I had a stuck cell in a 2D mag. I took the top and end off, threw it against a car tire. Battery popped out, but unfortunately, the bulb post broke off.

BTW, I'm new to CPF here. I've lurked a while, and am just getting into flashlights.

Anyone know any ways to prevent cells from leaking? I heard wrapping paper around the batteries before putting them in, can prevent/help with corrosion.

Welcome, bring your paypal name and stay a while!!

:whistle:

-PSM

Templar223

Newly Enlightened
I'm sad to say that I trashed a 4C Mag trying to get corroded batteries out. Years ago I also lost a Pelican 3C light (don't remember the model but it was a $40 light back ten years ago when I had it)... the plastic body broke on the bottom from the corrosion... less than six months after a fresh set of batteries!

That was before I joined CPF... now I know what to do with leakers in my maglights!

What pisses me off is that I'm pretty religious about checking batteries (visually and w/ voltmeter) in all my lights at least every six months...

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but it seems like the worst leakers I find (and those that trashed my 4C light) were Energizers (avoid them like the plague today... the only time I'll put Energizers in my flashlights today is when a) they are a gift from my neighbor and b) I know I'm going to use them up right away.

I'm fed up with that bunny taking runny craps in my lights!

John

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried to salvage more than a few Maglights with stuck batteries. If I'm not sucsessful after 5 mins I don't bother anymore. Maglights at $20 are cheaper than my time and aggravation.

Warleader

Newly Enlightened
I've had this happen with AA Mags. I'm very interested in the brand of batteries that caused this problem. I have my guesses . . . . so, what brands of batteries are causing this?