How do your remove stuck D-cells in a Mag 3D?

Kicker18

Newly Enlightened
The tail cap on one of my d cell mags has gotten stuck and won't come off. Super annoying.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just had the same problem with a SL Twintask 3C. I decided to use a hole saw to gut the bottom cell and peel it out. The saw I used was about the diameter of the exposed metal on the bottom of the cell. It didn't drill, instead the teeth grabbed the cell and spun it out, slick as a whistle. I can't wait to try this on a D-cell light!
Good luck! --Bob

what is a "hole saw".

swampgator

Enlightened
Explain?

drill through the cell closest to the switch and collapse the cell onto itself.
If this was directed at me, I'll try..

But it's been about 10 years...

A 3D Mag. Sitting for a few years. Stuck Ray O Vacs.

The cell closest to the tail cap and the middle cell came out easily enough. A little WD-40 and some persuasion..

The cell closest to the switch was the completely corroded cell. So I took the switch out from the front by removing the spring clip.

I then used the longest and largest drill bit I could find. I'm drawing a blank on the size. But I drilled through the center of the cell. Then I used a hammer and large flat head screwdriver to collapse the center onto itself. That took a bit of time.

Then I used a cylinder hone to clean up the inside of the tube.

Hope this helps..

As an aside, if the light hadn't had sentimental value (it was Dad's last department light before they switched to MagChargers) I would have just sent it to Maglite for replacement.

Tepeka

Newly Enlightened
I had this happen to a 2D years ago. Couldn't get it out and ended up trashing the light. Must have used half a can of WD40!

Archangel72

Newly Enlightened
Umm its a Mag stop wasting time on it and go buy another.... Would have been my theory

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Order Superlube oil on Amazon. Comes in a ketchup looking bottle. It's dielectric and will not harm electronics or corrode anything but is super slick stuff.

Give it a swirl along the seem of the batteries and tube. Let it sit a few.

Find a safe location. Tie some paracord securely under the head then helicopter that sucker until you have flying batteries.

Wear googles and a helmet, expect some cleanup, use common sense. Attempt at your own risk. Make sure the dog / kids are inside. Do not try this at home ect ect...

I think this would have the lowest impact on the light. You can also contact the battery manufacturer. Im sure its been mentioned but I skipped reading the thread.

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless the light has sentimental value or you like a project..

All kinds of reasons someone would undertake a project like this...

Disposable is NOT always better.

He's just sharing what he would do. I'd likely do the same. I compulsively throw things away.

However, for those who like to salvage things like this, I think it's all the better. As mentioned disposable isn't always better.

Now OP.....do we have a fixed Maglight yet? Whats the status? Plenty of tips here.

Wyreless

Newly Enlightened
If they are brand name batteries, just send it to the battery manufacturer and they will fix it or give you a new Maglite.

I have done this with Eveready before. Also, if you ever get some leaky batts that dont ruin anything its worth sending in a complaint. You will get some fairly good coupons for some Free Batteries.

Sambob

Newly Enlightened
Happened In my 1st 3 D cell maglite It took myself and the help of a couple of maintenance guys to figure out how too remove the switch then pounded out the stuck cell, when It happened again some 15yrs later I simply gutted It and tossed It Into the recycling bin and bought a new one, converted It to LED and run rechargeable AA battery's In D-cell adapters.
Most of my problems were because of "cheap" battery's the heavy duty/Industrial type and Energizer alkaline.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another option is to drill a hole in the base and install a zerk fitting and fill it up with grease, don't aim it at anything you don't want killed or damaged. Hydraulics can move just about anything you can imagine.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
I have a feeling its cross threaded somehow; the Bust-A-Cap tail was rough getting on.

If it is battery corrosion, I can't send it to the battery company until I open it up & discover what brand it is.

Think I'm gonna have to chop it and then see if I can peel the tube stub off the bust a cap to salvage the cap.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing is working for me. used a boatload of PBlaster, drilled the battery, beat the bottom of it as hard as I could. It is stuck. Cannot get them out of 3D. They leaked and have been in that condition for possibly a year. In freezing temperature. So they are stuck pretty good. Almost ready to throw the damn thing out.

Mental note: don't give out 3D Mags as gifts to non-torch people. They will ruin it, inevitably. Myself, I will probably never buy one anyway.

You can probably get a used LED Mag for between 10-20, S&H included, on your fav online auction.

lunas

Enlightened
The alkaline substance is potassium hydroxide it is extra vulnerable to water and it will dissolve readily... Soak the host in hot water get the cel to move a little use more water then it should come free dry the host well before new batteries are used.

And Nimh will not leak like alkalines and they sell them in c and d cell sizes...

watt4

Enlightened
has anyone tried drilling a hole in the side of the light? then using a screwdriver to poke into the battery and "lever" it to break it loose.

theory only, I have not tried this. I figure keeping a light with a couple holes in it is better than tossing it.

I eventually will have to address this problem (with a non-maglite flashlight)

Latest posts