Impact of the Indium Smart on flashaholism as we know it

LowWorm

Enlightened
Now that Jon's taking pre-orders on the Indium Smart Think Blue CPF edition, I was just wondering what you think its impact will be on LED light design from here on out. AFAIK, it's the only light that can be programmed to do whatever you want it to do AND has parts that will completely swappable/upgradeable (LED, bezel, switch, body).

Surefire and the Aleph series of lights already have pioneered modular flashlights to one degree or another, but it seems to me that the Indium Smart's programmable interface puts it on a different plane altogether.

Will it only be a short time before other high-end lights follow in one way or another as far as user-configurable options? Or is the Indium Smart so unique in its applications and target audience (mainly, us flashaholics) that it will be the only light to do what it does for some time to come?

Indium Smart info

Indium Smart CPF sign-up

Last edited:

jtice

Flashaholic
I have always loved how the Surefire E series, McLux, and Aleph stuff was all interchangable.
Its been great to be able to choose from a variety of heads, bodies, and tails,
and be able to assemble a light for any situation.

The Aleph series took it to another level with the interchangable light engines.

Now the Indium Smart takes all that, and adds user programmability.
This really opens things up.
The Smart could be configured to match the characteristics of over half the lights I own.
Yes, the price can seem high, there are plenty of other lights out there for less money.
But how many of those other lights are you going to end up buying?
Many of us have a light for each type: long runtime, flood, throw, killer bight, etc.

For the price of just a few of those, you can have one light, that is configurable to endless possibilities, that could end up saving you money in the long run.

Lets face it, how many of you have gotten tired of a light, even though it was nice.
And bought another light that was sorta the smae thing, but you bought it just for something new.
You could reconfigure your Indium Smart every week, and it would be a whole new experience.

~John

Denise

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the new thread Lowworm.

Hi Jtice...and thank you for the comments.

LowWorm

Enlightened
Jon's dual personality issues aside ... ;)

I think Jtice hit it on the head with how many bases this light covers.

I know I do not have the biggest light collection in the world, because one of the things that almost always stops me from shelling out big bucks for a new light is the "limited use" factor...in other words, it would be great in situations A & B, but for situations C, D, E, and F not so great.

What really has me looking forward to this light is not only the ability to make it be whatever light I want it to be as far as output goes, but Jon was saying that he's planning on introducing a 1x123 body for it. :) For me, pocketability is big, and having the options to go big or small, dim or blinding, etc. etc. is just astonishing.

Jtice mentioned the $350 price, but if I remember correctly, that's what the Lion Cub was first offered at when it was introduced. Maybe perceived as cutting edge at that time, but it's crazy when you consider what that same money will get you now! :naughty:

TorchMan

Enlightened
It's the most "Swiss Army Knife" of all the lights I know about, but my knowledge may be limited, especially compared to some here. It may be something for flashaholics only though, at least for a while.

With all it's features and modularity, it's an uber-light to be sure. Easy user upgradeable LEDs. Handles a wide range of voltages. Add different battery tubes and bezels, and it's very versatile. At first it will probably replace my larger lights, but not ones like the LionCub, Chameleon, PDIII, Orb Raw or SOR.

The PC programmability will intimidate some to the point of not buying. Others will question reliablity (more complex, more to go wrong, etc) of same. And the price will keep many away. As I'm on the list, I'm not one of them!

This is a ground breaking light, entering new territory, and there will be some unknowns. It's bound to make some large light makers take notice. The question is when? Probably be a while. Some smaller manufacturers that have complex lights will probably add user PC programmability sooner. Some will stick to the KISS principle, and decry this as overkill.

Many times those that bring something groundbreaking to the public are not the ones that succeed and profit the most from it. Hopefully, this will not be the case here.

TorchMan

Enlightened
LowWorm said:
Jon's dual personality issues aside ... ;)

What really has me looking forward to this light is not only the ability to make it be whatever light I want it to be as far as output goes, but Jon was saying that he's planning on introducing a 1x123 body for it. :) For me, pocketability is big, and having the options to go big or small, dim or blinding, etc. etc. is just astonishing.

Jtice mentioned the $350 price, but if I remember correctly, that's what the Lion Cub was first offered at when it was introduced. Maybe perceived as cutting edge at that time, but it's crazy when you consider what that same money will get you now! :naughty:

Yeah, I'm into the pocket carry thing as well. I will be anxiously waiting to hear abou the size configuration of the 1x123 body and some smaller bezel. That's down the line, so at first it'll likely get carried in place of the U2 or whatever 2x123 I'm holstering. Add a strobe to that pocketable 1x123(although I've never needed the one from the Gladius, I still want that ability) and the fact that it's user controlled, heck yeah!

User selectable drive currents are becoming less rare. The Chameleon will allow four max drive currents, with five brightness levels for each. I'm not sure, but believe the Gatlight can be adjusted with a screw. The Indium Smart will allow the most control over that of any yet. Bells and whistles to some, options to me. And I like options!

Supposedly some large light maker will sue you if you do it, but focusable would be a nice feature to have as well. It would add to versatility/utility.

And user selectable body color! :grin2: :laughing:

AdamW

Newly Enlightened
Neat light, yes. Earth-shattering, no.

It is a cottage industry niche light at best, with folks who are REALLY into flashlights being the targeted customers. Most folks I know want to grab a flashlight, turn it on, and have light come out of the end. That's it: most people are not interested in plugging a flashlight into a computer to set it up. Most people won't take their flashlights apart either, unless it is to replace a dead bulb or dead batteries. For the majority of people, a flashlight is simply a tool, not a hobby.

At $350 (!), it is a cool gadget, and I don't see it changing the industry. How many Smarts will be sold? 50? 200? Maglight sells hundreds of thousands, if not millions. Again, niche.

LED's, now they are changing the industry!

Mark2

Enlightened
IMHO, this light *is* a major achievement, and it will take its well-earned place in flashlight history. Well done, Jon an Angus!

But I also agree with Adam, it basically is a very special "toy" for a very small and special group of people, who *really* are into flashlights. Flashlights with lots of features such as the Ultimate series are more fun because you can do much more with them than with a light that simply clicks on and off. But from a user point of view, the possibility of programming the light yourself on the computer is over the top IMHO. There are so many other important items the soldier/swat team member/adventurer needs, that programming the flashlight really seems to be a strange idea. Getting used to the UI of a HDS Ultimate is one thing, but sitting down in front of the computer to *change* the UI is quite another. Don't forget that you will have to re-learn the new UI every time you change it!

Think of people who are lighter-aholics. A lighter is an important tool for the outdoor adventurer. What would you think if some of them paid $360 for a lighter that can be plugged to a computer where you can program gas flow, coil position, click force and so on? Would you buy that lighter? Or would you shake your head and just buy a Brunton Helios for $50, just a solid lighter that provides a good flame each time you press the button?

I fully understand the fun the Indium Smart can provide to people who can appreciate it, and I don't think it is too expensive, it's probably "the most fun for the buck" a flashaholic can get! To answer the question in the thread's title: I think it will fuel flashaholism.

Last edited:

Grubbster

Enlightened
I agree with the majority that it is a specialty light. But what I am hopeing for out of this project is technology "trickle down". Hopefully some of this technology will make it into less expensive lights at some point down the line.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not so sure that this is a product with only a CPF market.

I have received hundereds of emails asking how to get this light not from CPF members but from outside of CPF. Thats the part that really surprised me was the responce after being seen on a blog.

We are not trying to make a light that is complicated to use but in fact simple. The reason I wanted two switches it that I wanted one of the switches be dumb but programable with one setting. The other switch is as complicated or as simple as you deside it should be. My thought are people would eventually taylor it they way they want it to work. Perhaps those that go to very different environments might have profiles set up for daily use and a different one for the weekend in the woods.

Last edited:

jtice

Flashaholic
Its true, your average person, just looking for a nice light,
isnt going to pay this kinda $$$ for a light.
But there are plenty of us who will ;)
I know I have bought the more advanced, more expensive model of certain products.
Not really cuz I NEEDED the extra features, but just to have them, and just to be on top the techno evolution.

There are plenty of other lights that we have bought for this kinda price,
and none of those even come close to the Indium Smart.
Jon has worked very hard to make sure it is of the very best build quality,
that alone we have dished out the bucks for in other lights, IE Surefire.

You have to realize, while some of the features could be considered "toys".
Alot of them can be useful tools.
The military would like the signal features and moris code.
The adjustable strobe rate lets you slow down, and stop fan blades etc.
You can set it as a beacon.
It should also allow some of us to carry just one light, instead of a few.

~John

LowWorm

Enlightened
AdamW said:
Neat light, yes. Earth-shattering, no.

It is a cottage industry niche light at best, with folks who are REALLY into flashlights being the targeted customers.

Simplistic dismissals like this don't take into account all the LE applications or other professional uses a light such as this has the versatility to meet.

AdamW said:
At $350 (!), it is a cool gadget, and I don't see it changing the industry. How many Smarts will be sold? 50? 200? Maglight sells hundreds of thousands, if not millions. Again, niche.

High sales are not the source of industry change, usually - they just breed imitation and perpetuate the status quo. The way I like to look at the Indium Smart is to equate it to a high-end vehicle, like a BMW. BMWs have lots of frills and "gadgets" that many would look at off the bat and dismiss as "frivolous." And if you simply want a car to take you to and from the local K-Mart, that perception's accurate. Mag is the cheap-o car that will get you there (sort of), while the Indium Smart is the high-end vehicle that pushes quality and functionality to a whole new level and gives the consumer the most options for his dollar.

I don't think we'll see Indium Smarts gracing the shelves at Lowe's anytime soon, just like you don't see Rolex watches at your local Target. And to call something a "niche" product in the pejorative sense, well...the T.V. was once considered a niche product, too.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grubbster said:
I agree with the majority that it is a specialty light. But what I am hopeing for out of this project is technology "trickle down". Hopefully some of this technology will make it into less expensive lights at some point down the line.

I agree and since he components are solid state if any of the features become popular they will become available at *much* lower prices.

Just prior to Radio Shack, Apple and Commadore coming out with $500.00 PC's I helped a friend build a machine that was much harder to use and a bit more powerful.
He had $12,000.00 in it. (A 64 kb CP/M machine with an ASR teletype for I/O running at about 4 MhZ.)

AdamW

Newly Enlightened
LowWorm said:
And to call something a "niche" product in the pejorative sense, well...the T.V. was once considered a niche product, too.

The TV was the only way to recieve a moving picture in your home. It WAS the market. The Smart is a new, neat flashlight in a market full of other flashlights. It will not change the industry. Rather, it is another step in the evolution of high end flashlights.

Pejorative. I stand by my assertion that the flashlight industry will not be changed by this light. Read again the words I have used to describe the Smart: cool, neat, high end.

I am in the sand box right now. I was issued NVG's, a SureFire, Inova X5 with blue LED's(hate it, don't use it), and I carry a MiniProIII TWOJ HAIII MiniMag and a red Infinity Ultra. Having to plug a flashlight into a notebook computer to set it up is not acceptable for most of us here. The Smart remains a useful niche product. That is not a derogatory comment.

Adam

TorchMan

Enlightened
Interesting points on both sides of the fence. In some ways, I liken it to phone service. From picking up the phone in the old days and saying "Hello, Mable, get me the Smith residence." to dialing numbers. Then punching buttons. At some point more digits added to phone numbers. Then, features such as call waiting, call forwarding, etc. Then, *69, followed by caller ID and, in many metro areas, having to dial an area code even for a local call. How many are wanting to go back to party lines and asking an operator to do everything for you, or cranking a phone?

How much of this translates to flashlights remains to be seen. HDS are great lights, howerver their market compared to Maglite is a small percentage. But as society goes forward with technology, things will get more complex. Jon touched on keeping it simple for the user, and the software for the Indium Smart will require more effort than off/on of a plain light, but will give so much more in return. From my use of the software, the learning curve is not that difficult. It's more a case of getting over the old way of thinking about flashlights. What will a generation growing up in the techno world want and think about it all? My nephew has never known a world without the internet, or caller i.d.

The simple incans are here to stay, and will be dominate for a while. But, the times are a changin'...

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
The idea was not to plug it into the computer every day...but get it set up the user interface exactly the way you like it. Make it as simple or complex as you like.

You can also have several full profiles saved and change it for when you go camping as the use might be different than for around home.

AdamW

Newly Enlightened
Jon, know that I am a flashaholic, and I like your light. LowWorm asked for opinions and I responded.

If I have offended you, it was not my intent.

Adam

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not offended at all,

I was concerned that people would think you had to plug it into a computer to make each setting change. I got some emails at first where people thought that. I had to explain that you can save a great many setting in the light if you choose to while leaving out what you don't use.

paulr

Flashaholic
Remember when microprocessor lights (Photon III, Arc4+, etc) came out. They made a splash, and some people are into them while others are not, but they didn't turn flashaholism upside down. This is deja vu all over again. Some people will be into it, others won't. I sold my Arc4+ and think that its successors from HDS are real nice lights, but my next high-end 1x123 light will probably be a McLux III PD. I can't deal with the idea of having to read a manual to use a flashlight. Also, I think the Indium doesn't go far enough in customizability. As a computer geek I'd be more interested if it came with complete source code to both the internal firmware and to the PC application that customizes it.