Getting to the tree stand.

Babo

Newly Enlightened
Today, was my last deer hunt for the season.
We typically get into our tree stands at least a half
hour before first light.
I had packed my Fenix L1P and affixed a double
thickness red balloon over the lense so give the light
a red tint. Got ready to enter the woods for the forty
yard walk...No Fenix. I was wearing parka with pockets
everywhere. Went through them all..No luck.
So....I reached into my pants pocket and pulled out my
Arc AAA P. Lit it, stuck it in my mouth and negotiated my
way to the tree stand through some fairly heavy growth.

To my surprise, the Arc was absolutely enough light for the
job.... Later in the morning, I found the Fenix.

Ninety minutes later, I was field dressing a 125 pound doe;
second, and final deer of the season.

Incidently, the mini mag holster on my fanny pack was empty
today for the first time in, probably, fifteen years. Left that light
at home.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations on the doe, I still have till the 31st to get my thrid deer of the combined archery/gun/muzzleloading seasons. This is the first year I have not carried my minimag on my belt in about 15 years too. The minimag broughtme out of the woods in pitch black more times than I can count, I hope the Inova X0 and River Rock AAA backup do as well over time.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on the hunt!

I think it would blow the minds of many non-flashaholics if they knew what many of us have accomplished with just our tiny backup lights!

I have found that when it's really dark, and your eyes are just half way dark-adapted an ARC AAA may even seem too bright for some tasks. One of my next lights will be the Rigel Mil-Starlite mini for just that reason.

It can be very frustrating and sometimes dangerous to not have a dim enough flashlight when you need one.

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Wow! Like the others mentioned above. . .Always have back-up flashlight(s). Maybe "upgrading" that Mini Maglite can at least serve as one of the back-up lights for you besides the ARC among others.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Good story, Babo.

Back-ups work... and Save The Day once again. Tell THAT to your/our illumination-illiterate critics.

Of course, most of 'em don't believe you should ever go out into the Dark, anyway... let alone do something as eeeevil as hunting. Ya see, if you'd poked your eye out via a low-hanging branch, tripped over a tree stump, busted your leg, and subsequently died of exposure... well, that'd serve ya right, you dirty old Neanderthal!

Just last night, a group of neighborhood Soccer-Moms and charming Kidlets came a Christmas-carolling to our house. Soccer Mom #1 had a dying Mini-Mag to light their way o'er the shadowy sidewalks and icy driveways. Her light failed as they finished singing to us. Then, a Kidlet slipped on the icy walk. Panicked Kidlets started to cry as Soccer-Moms floundered with their thumbs up their @sses... until my Dockers-pocketed SF E2/KL1 and neck-lanyard Peak McKinley instantly leaped to the rescue.

But heck, who really needs All Those Lights... when you can just dial 911 (*cough*)?

(Enjoy that venison! You earned it.)

mr_bb

Newly Enlightened
Believe it or not I like to use the $1 keyring lights from countycomm to go to my stand. And carry my Maxfire for some throw if needed. The led puts out just enough light to illuminate the ground right in front of me.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
+ for the small but "in the dark strong enough" light:
possible to hold it in mouth, when You need both hands (like field dressing).

(A job a headlamp would be required) ;-)