ACE isn't the place, to shop for MAGLITES.

Burgess

Flashaholic
My local Wal-Mart (central Indiana)
had a *Clearance Sale* several years ago
on Mag-Lite Solitaires (47 Lumen) for $ 7 each.

And Mini-Maglite AA incandescents
(with 2 spare bulbs) in various colors
for $ 5 each.

I bought some of Each !

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
they only had TWO (2) count 'em TWO MAGLITES out! One was a 2D LED of unknown vintage, not an ML300L, and the other was a MiniMag Pro. They had a HUGE display of NEBO and Coast, some Ace brand, a few ROV, and Energizer. :mad:

That's all any place has nowadays. All the same old junk. Even at the sporting goods stores. Ironically enough, a lot of this garbage is actually locked behind display cases. Even at walmart. :ROFLMAO:

swampgator

Enlightened
I miss the days of $10 Mag Incans at Lowe's on Black Friday.
Bought many to use as hosts and Christmas gifts.

But Mag led the field for many years and instead of looking ahead and maintaining innovator status they rested on their laurels and had to play catch up.

Now we have smaller, brighter and cheaper alternatives.

I still use my Mags. My ML-300 is my car light, my wife has an ML-100 in hers.

Dad's Magcharger is in my truck.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
MagLite's website has the ML300L 2-D LED advertised for a discounted $42.50, right now:

and the ML300LX 2-D LED for $55:

When I was in France in 2005, from what I understood, there were no Walmarts in France. Prices for common items such as notebook paper, memo pads, softgoods like cotton towels and Coca-Cola were crazy expensive, compared to the USA. I believe it was because they had trade laws blocking cheap imports in order to protect their workers from unfair labor competition abroad. While I experienced sticker shock, I really need to compliment them on protecting their workers and their economy. US politicians could learn something from that.

US politicians could learn a lot from elementary school students.

Haven't you heard? Mag is not a flashlight company. They are a lifestyle brand. I've never seen such BS in my life. Just look at their website. Send them an email and ask a technical question. They don't know manure from applesauce.

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't you heard? Mag is not a flashlight company. They are a lifestyle brand. I've never seen such a BS in my life. Just look at their website. Send them an email and ask a technical question. They don't know manure from applesauce.
There seems to be a whole 'generation' (don't know which alpha character) of marketing weenies who systematically, and broadly embrace the whole 'lifestyle' marketing thing / concept / approach to everything product marketing. They'll try to incorporate it into everything they touch - almost any product or even service one can think of. They may be 'herd' types, and feel it works to target the 'herd', or even make up a new one if necessary.

Who knows, maybe it works very effectively with their generation(?), but frankly, I think none of them should have their jobs. On the flip side though, I do often find it entertaining, and I get a good laugh!

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Maglite lifestyle ended when Surefire, Streamlight, and Led Lenser happened. I buy Maglites just to keep them in business. Nebo or Dorcy probably have more sales nowadays.

The easiest way for Mag to increase their sales is to embrace the flashlight community and have a presence here on candle power forums. Work with us instead of against us.

Mag doesn't seem to understand that nobody buys more flashlights that a flashaholic!

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
the flashlight community

I suspect / speculate that this is a very, very small % of the total flashlight market. I think our perspective tends to distort the reality somewhat. JMO. I have no numbers, but I also imagine those numbers would prove difficult to determne.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The easiest way for Mag to increase their sales is to embrace the flashlight community and have a presence here on candle power forums. Work with us instead of against us.

Mag doesn't seem to understand that nobody buys more flashlights that a flashaholic!
You know, I thought about that, and WHY Mr. Maglica has not adopted this site and the members. And I think I know why. There is just a lot of anti-Maglite persons posting on here, and a lot of worship of Chinese flashlight companies and their products. One or more even advertise on the site. So, why would Mr. Maglica sponsor/advertise on this forum, when there is so much support here for his foreign competitors? I think he would believe it to be counterproductive.

As a flashaholic, I sometimes feel like a salesman for Maglite. When people ask my opinion, I say it's easy. Just go get a Maglite. It uses common easy to get batteries and puts out good light and has good runtime. The average person doesn't want to deal with rechargeable batteries, greasing O-rings and fretting over which light to carry, and how many spares to carry with it.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aznsx is right, this place would be a rounding error in Mag's historic sales figures. At one point they were in a store on almost every street in the US, plus their police and corporate sales. Millions of flashlights sold every year. Marketing to a niche market wouldn't be worth it for a company that size.

Lack of change is definitely a hallmark of Mag as a company as well. They created a bunch of popular models in the 1980s and were able to coast on sales without coming up with anything new for almost 20 years. Some of their current products are over 40 years old. Remarkable, really. I'd assume that attitude came right from the top, since I don't think a company could organically do nothing for so long. Probably not a coincidence they started rolling out new stuff around the time Tony was stepping back from the business.