Help on McLux vs. HDS questions

P7rancher

Newly Enlightened
Any thoughts on these two lights? Anyone know the Lumens on the McLuxIIIPD?

Trying to decide between the two for an upcoming trip to Mexico and I need answers and ideas fast.

Thanks in advance for any of your thoughts.

P7rancher:help:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
They are relatively similar in appearance, size and application ... both 1-cell LuxIII EDC-type lights.
The main difference is the switching philosophy ... the HDS uses a uC multi-click switch with a lot of options and modes (with a learning curve and manual) whereas the PD has a head-twisty or tail-momentary-push switch that follows the KISS (keep it super simple) principle, but offers only 2 brightness levels without any more modes. This part is IMHO the deciding factor between the lights.

Some more differences or similarities:
- both can use either CR123 or R123 LiIon batteries
- the PD is slightly heavier
- the PD is a beefier construction and offers a better protection especially at the front end where the HDS has a soft bezel
- you can use the PD bezel ring for the HDS, there is even a ti version available
- judging previous similar McGizmo products the PD should offer roughly 40-50lm on high for a T-bin (guesstimate)
- runtime for the PD on 1xCR123 is 01:45 on high and 42h on low
- the PD has a very good ti-clip
- the HDS is slightly shorter
- both are among the best lights in this category

As I said ... I think it is the interface part that should be the deciding factor.

bernie

TorchMan

Enlightened
Bernie has summed up the differences quite well. The Basice HDS have four brightness levels, and a momentary max brightness. The Ulitimate HDS have many options, choosing between 19-20 brightness levels, locater strobe, SOS strobe, once per second strobe, and more.

I cannot visually discern any difference in brightness between my HDS U60 and my McLux PDIII. Both have nice beams and no artifacts. The HDS is a wider hotspot, and the PDIII is a tighter hotspot. Sidespill is larger on the HDS, and slightly brighter. Both have useful sidespill, IMO.

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Pretty much as Bernie summed up above. I noticed that the McLux.III.PD is or feels a lot better in my hands, while the HDS, in my opinion, is short and "stubby" in its form factor. I do like the simplicity of the McLux.III.PD and how impressively built it is! Hands down, for me that is, goes to the PD.—Maybe I'm biased in regards to this one WELL OVER the HDS Systems EDC. . .

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!—Happy Trip!

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Another difference is the pocket clips.

The PD is carried bezel down.

The HDS is bezel up and can be used as a temoerary headlamp.

Amadeus93

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking of getting the HDS U60, because I like the adjustable levels, and I love the gadgety aspect of the ultimate edition. Also, it's less expensive than the PD. On the other hand, the PD is just a gorgeous light - even in plain old HA, never mind the titanium or chrome editions.

(And no, I'm not in a position to do what any self-respecting CPFer would do, which is to buy both).

Arrrgh!!!!
:awman:

ibcj

Enlightened
P7rancher said:
Any thoughts on these two lights? Anyone know the Lumens on the McLuxIIIPD?

Trying to decide between the two for an upcoming trip to Mexico and I need answers and ideas fast.

Thanks in advance for any of your thoughts.

P7rancher:help:

Check your PM's. I sent you a lengthy one about this.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
The extremely low-light options on HDS tip the scales for me. Basically the PD has the better form factor, the HDS has the better "guts". :)