Need recommendations

hulla

Newly Enlightened
I am new at this and don't know what to buy. This is a list of features I am looking for...

- 3W Led
- regulated
- adjustable levels (up to around 60 lumens)
- can be used with rechargeable batteries
- be able to stand on end
- smaller than 3C's

I stumbled across Surefire and HDC but was wondering what some cheaper alternatives there are. Hoping to be able to spend less than $120-130.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well First Off—Welcome to CPF!

There's going to be a barrage of recommendations from members here. Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is a CPF-limited edition multi-level in the Group-buy section. It can use one 18650s (rechargeable), one 17670 (rechargeable) or 2 cr123s. It's gotten great reviews, and should do what you want.
The light is laser ingraved with Candlepower forums and a number. I think the price is about $66 shipped to your door.
It's reviewed at flashlight-reviews under the name; BriteStuff Vari-Brite 32L.

Sverre

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
In all seriousness, you might save yourself a lot of money if you buy a McLux PD or HDS to start with. A lot of folks here have spent hundreds of dollars looking for quality economical lights for every day carry (EDC), and finally ended up with one of those two lights. They are each small enough to go anywhere (I had my PD on me when I ushered my brother-in-law's wedding) and will fulfill the vast majority of your flashlight needs.

Scott

hulla

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the responses. I keep changing my mind by the minute. I think I am spending more time researching this flashlight purchase than I did when buying a car.

About the HDS Basic... How do you switch between the brightness levels? Seems like every time I want to turn it off, I will have to cycle through all the brightness levels since there is only one button.

Same question for the Nuwai.

And with the CPF group buy... Does it stand on its end with the tail cap button add on?

magic79

Enlightened
The HDS has a superb user interface that does not require you to cycle through other brightness levels. One click turns it on at the default setting; one more click turns it off.

When on, two clicks give you a lower setting, three clicks gives you minimum, and two clicks and a long press gives you maximum. From any of those, one click turns it off.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
beezaur said:
In all seriousness, you might save yourself a lot of money if you buy a McLux PD or HDS to start with. A lot of folks here have spent hundreds of dollars looking for quality economical lights for every day carry (EDC), and finally ended up with one of those two lights.

Scott

Ditto. Highly recommend the HDS - I carry it daily. Unfortunately, you will not appreciate its greatness until you've spent a lot of money on inferior lights. If you're like me, I'm still buying new lights but each new acquisition just reminds me that I already have the best...

Luxman

Enlightened
Another vote for the HDS Basic. And if you can save a little more I also recommend the HDS Ultimate 60. A Very Versatile light loaded with features.
IMO you will be happier in the long run.. :)