Overdriven Luxeon1's versus nominally driven Luxeon3's

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would seem that:
#1 R**H bin Luxeon1's are really T**J binned Luxeon3's.
#2 For the price and the use in flashlights, why not just go with overdriven Luxeon1's instead, since we only usually need around 500, or so hours of use out of the led anyways?
#3 I have run 1.5 amps through "1 watt" Luxeons with no problems as long as there was enough heatsinking.
That has happened in an Ledlenser V2 powerchip "1 watt" with 3 battlepack nimh N cells.

I have an Orb RAW 1 watt RWAH running just fine and dandy on a 3.7 volt rechargeable cr2 battery.
I have a UYOK Luxeon3 waiting to take it's place for when and if it dies, but it just won't die. :shrug:
It just keeps right on truckin' with the overdriven RWAH Luxeon1 recharge after recharge.
Now that R*** binned leds are the norm for Luxeon1 leds, it seems that the 1 watters are the real sleepers when it comes to value $.

wtraymond

Enlightened
While I agree that the 1 new watt 'R' and 'S' bins are a great value and "real sleepers," I don't think that you're aware that you're RWAH running direct drive is only slightly overdriven and drawing only about 500ma. There's a lot of resistance in that RCR2 and the resistance of the LED goes up as you overdrive it as well.

If you're waiting for that RWAH to die before you drop in the UYOK then you've got a long wait. But when you do, I you'll find that the 3watt running at 500ma is brighter than a 1 watt running at 500ma. You'll also find that your battery life is the same or better. That's because less energy is wasted as heat. A 3watt LED is more efficient under-driven than a 1watt is overdriven.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tests I have done with my Dorcy Metal Gear and Dorcy 3D show that I have to drive a TWOK as hard as possible (near 1000mA) to get the same (not more) light than I can get from a good 1W R bin.

I guess I just don't understand the hype of 3W'ers. Sure, I know they are more efficient at 700mA+ and will live longer but the TWOK I have can't keep up with the RX1G I have. No matter how hard I drive the TWOK, the RX1G is brighter. Period.
700mA, 1000mA and more, the 1W wins. Why would I use a 3 watt LED in anything under 700mA? Unless it's a UWOK, that is. ;)

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think its clear that there is a real difference in construction and hence electrical and thermal properties of the LuxI vs Lux3 that are currently coming off the fab line. Quite possibly the only difference between them is that the Lux1s have been binned at 350 mA instead of the 700 mA that Lux3s are binned at. It might be that R bin Lux1s might have been sold as T bin Lux3s a year ago, but now that production is catching up with demand, some of these same LEDs are being binned and sold as Lux1s.

I would also have to disagree with the blanket statement that "the 3watt running at 500ma is brighter than a 1 watt running at 500ma". It will be dependent on the Vf and flux bins of each of the LEDs in question.