Princeton Tech 'Blast' 2AAA/4AAA?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Re: Princeton Tech \'Blast\' 2AAA/4AAA?

Hi Shooter,

When you say PT "Blast 2AAA/4AAA" are you sure you're not referring to the PT "Rage"? This is a 4AAA light, possibly the brightest on the market. It has been called "The poor man's E2" because of its similar widely-dispersed beam, though of course it is not as bright as an E2. Why not just get an E2?

I'm not familiar with the Blast/2AAA.

Since you're an LEO, and having the right light(s) is really critical, perhaps you could let us know specifically what your needs are, and what type of lights you had in mind.

I see by your member number that you are quite new to CPF (Welcome!), and there are quite a few LEO's who are long-time members who have gained much knowledge and experience. I wouldn't be surprised if they will start weighing in on this fairly soon.

I have my own ideas about what lights to carry; my EDC includes the ASP Taclite, a 2 lithium light similiar to the SF 6P in size, but with a tighter, and therefore brighter, spot. But since I'm not a LEO I can't really be of help unless you state your needs quite specifically.

All the best in the new year,
Brightnorm

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I've got the 4AAA PT Rage, and IMO it's beam quality sure leaves a lot to be desired

Oh i agree! i usually use it as a back-up light. I bought mine when it first came out, so far so good but for the money you could buy a brighter light at Wal-Mart.
tongue.gif

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sickoutfit:

so far so good but for the money you could buy a brighter light at Wal-Mart.
tongue.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Waterproofness and polymer body asides, you get a brighter light with this size and price at Wal-Mart? I am very interested. What battery it use?

I thought that Rage is the brightest alkaline based light at its size.

Alan

funk

Enlightened

For the size and the dollar - there are not a lot of options that are brighter than the Rage. Put it next to any 2 AA and you will find the Rage to be much brighter........ It certainly is a back up light, but it is very bright for what it is. As is the Blast.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Princeton Tech \'Blast\' 2AAA/4AAA?

Has anyone done any research on these? I have both and am curious as to what to expect from them, performance/life-wise. TIA

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shooter1201:
Has anyone done any research on these? I have both and am curious as to what to expect from them, performance/life-wise. TIA<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got the 4AAA PT Rage, and IMO it's beam quality sure leaves a lot to be desired
frown.gif
tongue.gif

-But then, what can you expect for $10.?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the quick replies. As for specific uses, I keep the 2AAA 'Blast' in my left front pocket, both ON and OFF-duty. ON-duty, I use it primarily to search the interiors of vehicles. (The 4AAA version is on my LBV.)

However, there ARE occasions when I bail out of my unit and fail to grab my 'Black Knight'. The 'Blast' is ALWAYS with me and is a bit more 'PC' than drawing my G17 and using my M3.
grin.gif

BTW....WHY do the bulbs of the Princeton Tech lights look like they were OVER-engineered? They LOOK like they belong on a deep-space probe or something....

Gandalf

Enlightened

I think that the PT Rage is a good substitute for a 2AA light; but it's 4AAA batteries give it a *lot* more light output. The PT Rage seems to have been designed, or at least seems most suitable, for closer distances: it doesn't have much reach. But given it's tiny size, and weight, and good output, I like the PT Rage a lot. It's not exactly suited for search and rescue, but for looking under car seats, etc. and other common tasks, I think it does a great job for the money. By the gram, it has to be one of the most powerful alkaline powered flashlights available. It's perfect for a back-up light, since it's so small and light in weight. An adjustable focus would be nice, but that would add to cost, weight, and size, and put it in a different cost/size category. I like it just as it is.
cool.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

An IMPROVEMENT would be a tailcap switch.

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall

an led freak myself i don't understand the love of incandecants. im not easily impressed by them. the rage impresed me so does the tec 40 and the 3d mag. never owned a surefire or legend lx but you guys are spoiled by them
shocked.gif