Why the big increase in price from the G2 to G2Z?

10mmWiseman

Newly Enlightened
I just can't understand it. :thinking:

The G2 is $34 and the G2Z is $84, aside from the different shape of the polymer body, a rubber ring and a Pyrex lens what justifies the extra $50 bucks?

CLHC

Flashaholic
Maybe the extra "tooling" just to produce this particular model in Nitrolon with the "rubber grip-rings" attached? Just taking a guess here. . .That's why I went with the SureFire 6Z—now the SF.Z2.

mdocod

Flashaholic
i was wondering the same thing. I was thinking about picking up a G2 with a 61 as my first lithium xenon. I am also very perplexed by the variation in price for the Z, doesn't seem like that much "more" of a light... could get a 9P for less.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
On BST you can frequently find the G2Z for quite a bit less than retail. It also comes with a lanyard too. Though I wouldn't pay retail for it, it is a more satisfying light than the G2 and it also is designed for a more specific purpose. I would choose it over all G,P,C,Z series 2 cell SF's.

a2_059.jpg

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
All SureFires are manufactured and assemblied in the USA at SureFire's own production facilities.
The Nitrolon components are manufactured in the USA. The coatings and anodising also.

I think it's to do with production numbers. The G2 is an extremely popular model and likely produced in many times the quantity as other models.
For example: When you manufacture 100,000 components it's likely to be cheaper per unit compared to 10,000 components.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been wondering: Why the big price difference between a 2x123A Surefire and a 3x123A? Surely it costs only a small amount more to make the longer body (especially in black) and the higher-voltage lamp. Other brands, notably G&P and Ultrafire, charge only $5 or $10 more when you step up from 6V to 9V.

carrot

Flashaholic
While we're on the topic of the G2Z, to anyone who owns/used both the G2Z and Z2 (or 6Z), which would you prefer, and why?

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened
I agree with Al here...probably just an issue of production numbers. I've wondered the same thing, though.

Topper

Flashaholic*
carrot said:
While we're on the topic of the G2Z, to anyone who owns/used both the G2Z and Z2 (or 6Z), which would you prefer, and why?

I have 2 SF Z2's and 3 G2Z's I have given some thought to your question and I decided I like the G2Z better. The G2Z is more temperature neutral IMHO.
They do not seem to get as cold or as hot that makes metal uncomfortable in the right wheather conditions. The G2Z's make much less noise when dropped on a hard surface and might even help protect the lamp also hides scratches and gashes as the color is not just a coating that leaves bare metal after a bad scrape. How was that? did I win anything??
Topper

carrot

Flashaholic
Topper said:
I have 2 SF Z2's and 3 G2Z's I have given some thought to your question and I decided I like the G2Z better. The G2Z is more temperature neutral IMHO.
They do not seem to get as cold or as hot that makes metal uncomfortable in the right wheather conditions. The G2Z's make much less noise when dropped on a hard surface and might even help protect the lamp also hides scratches and gashes as the color is not just a coating that leaves bare metal after a bad scrape. How was that? did I win anything??
Topper

Interesting. I'm trying to decide which one I'd rather have next -- finally getting a check from Google Adsense... very soon. Maybe I'll head out to the store and see if I can try them both out. Of course I want both, it's just a matter of which one to have first.

I was learning towards the G2Z first, because I realized I really like the Nitrolon body of my G2... it feels really nice, and is even more impressive because it's plastic *and* nice feeling.

But then I thought - I have a Nitrolon one, and a metal SF would be nice... so now I really can't decide. Was hoping for a definitive answer. I think giving them both a feel (... wtf?) is probably the best idea. Now if the Z2 was HAIII, I'd be sold right away.

Topper

Flashaholic*
My answer was definitive---for me ha ha you may have other thoughts.
Perhaps a C2 in HAIII would work better for you but I am off topic take a look at them on the SF website you get the rubber grip thingy and a pocket clip.
Good luck hunting your next SF.
Topper

carrot

Flashaholic
Topper said:
Perhaps a C2 in HAIII would work better for you but I am off topic take a look at them on the SF website you get the rubber grip thingy and a pocket clip.
Good luck hunting your next SF.
Topper

I just noticed the C2 in HA-BK on OpticsHQ (I think it's black -- but then again I thought the Z2 was silver when I first saw it on the SF site). It's only ten dollars more, but the higher the price goes the harder it will be for me to convince my dad to pull out the credit card... Considering it, though.

Last edited:

rikvee

Enlightened
just to get back to the G2/G2Z $50 difference, my 20 cents:

A G2 minus globe and batteries is barely 14 bucks, perhaps Surefire uses this model as a "loss leader", in other words, bait to get customers in the store!
Then they add a bit more "fruit" in the way off a better body, a lanyard, a lanyard ring and a glass lens to somehow hike up to what a light made by them should REALLY cost....

I bought 5 G2's to compare Led and rechargeable options, and the upshot after much expense is that a G2Z with a G&P 9V Globe on 2 unprotected R123's and a DSD charger is the ducks' nuts!
Not much runtime, but a beam that can only be bettered by 4 x 123 lights, totally impressive.
Forget most of the drop-ins, complete lights like the Fenix L1P almost equal them (on a single AA), and the Streamlight Pro-Poly Luxeon 4AA beats the pants off the lot of them, at 1W!

Only the 5Watt one is impressive, like a Surefire L4 with a better tint and no donut hole (deeper and wider reflector), but the L4 is still brighter on a single 17670 Li-Ion and comes with a clickie, and by the time you add a G2Z to a 5W drop-in you've almost paid for the more handsome L4.

Last edited:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I have a P90 and 2x protected R123 in my G2Z. The thermal properties of nitrolon are perfect for the Li-ions since they do better in the 120-140F range anyways. Nice bright package. :)

carrot

Flashaholic
I think the cost of materials and manufacturing for the G2 would be very low, because it's a 3-piece body (bezel, body, tailcap) with a metal tube inside. I don't think Surefire is losing any money on it. The G2Z looks more complicated from a manufacturing standpoint, but probably doesn't cost Surefire anywhere near what we think it does -- but since it is a more specialized light, targeted at people who are used to paying more (look how much money people put into their handguns), they can charge more.

However, I'd think that SF would price their G2Z a little lower than the Z2, since they're only $6 apart retail.

UVvis

Enlightened
I think the G2Z is much better made than the G2. The G2 is basically a cheap budget light, the G2Z is more of a professional level light. I also view the G2's as disposable.

Between the G2z and the Z2, I like them both. The G2Z has the advantage of plastics, the Z2 feels tougher to me. Also the plastic body of the G2Z feels a little more slippery when your hands are really wet or sweaty.

The C2 is in a totally different class. The single grip ring on the C2 is not adjustable, where on the G2Z/Z2 you can add or remove a ring for spacing. The C2's ring is harder to get a good grip on.

10mmWiseman

Newly Enlightened
Well I have read your replies and I thank you all for your input.

To tell you the truth the only thing I can chalk up the price increase to is simple price gouching. I just cannot think of a single valid reason that the G2Z costs what it does. I concede that it may cost a little more to manufacture over the G2 but there is not an extra $50 dollars per unit of manufacturing cost involved with this light, no way no how!

The entire point of polymer is they are cheaper to manufacture, just drop melted polymer in mold and let cool, voila! Being there is only a $6 dollar price difference from the Z2 which features aircraft grade CNC machined aluminum it becomes obvious the G2Z's price is inflated.

Even if they don't make a lot of G2Z's and even with the few premium parts and even if the body is a little more involved to manufacture it is just not an $84 dollar light. I think $54 is more inline or possibly $59 but certainly no more.

Of course Surefire has the right to price their products as they see fit and if the market can support the inflated price tag of the G2Z then I guess it is priced right. :broke:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could probably find a G2Z for under $60 on BST, but if you are not convinced of its value, then don't get one. Different styles and brands appeal to different people, so just get what you like at the price you want to pay. :)

Size15's

Flashaholic
I think that's it - SureFire can price their products how they see fit. Since none of us know the details including the economics involved it's a case of if you want it you pay for it. If you don't want to pay for it - don't buy it.

We can speak of whatifs and buts yet it is what it is.

Al