The Mini Maglite

frogman74

Newly Enlightened
I bought me the Mini Maglite and runs on AA. I prefer to use Energizer batteries.
Are there any converstions for the Mini Maglite? I like Maglite due to their workmanship, quality, price, and I like aluminum lights. Is there a combination of light bulbs, reflectors, and batteries that can make the Mini Maglite act like a "WOW what a flashlight"! Still have excellent battery life. I have another flashlight it's a little bigger than the Mini but also runs on AA batteries, it's name is Garrity. I'm willing to usemy Garrity as a test bed for converstions so I don't accidently ruin my awsome Mini Maglite. I know it's late for this but Happy New Year to all!

MikeF

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF Frogman74, You have entered the realm of some of the most knowledgeable and helpful people you will ever come across.

Mods for the Mini-Mag range from the very simple like the NiteIze conversion, that can be found at a lot of hardware and surplus stores,

http://www.niteize

to the more involved conversions, like the wide variety to be found in the Sandwich Shoppe, found on the main menu of CPF under the Dealer/Manufacturer/Manufacturer's Corner area.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=38

Welcome aboard, jump in and look around, it is amazing how much depth there is to CPF, and hold onto your wallet.

:rock:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
frogman74 said:
I bought me the Mini Maglite and runs on AA. I prefer to use Energizer batteries.
Are there any converstions for the Mini Maglite? I like Maglite due to their workmanship, quality, price, and I like aluminum lights. Is there a combination of light bulbs, reflectors, and batteries that can make the Mini Maglite act like a "WOW what a flashlight"! Still have excellent battery life. I have another flashlight it's a little bigger than the Mini but also runs on AA batteries, it's name is Garrity. I'm willing to usemy Garrity as a test bed for converstions so I don't accidently ruin my awsome Mini Maglite. I know it's late for this but Happy New Year to all!

If you want to go the LED route go with the Super MJLED, this thing runs a long time and has a nice color, look here.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=100958&highlight=smjled

sniper

Enlightened
Yo, Frogman: Welcome! This is a good place to be. (About here, one of the others should chime in, and say "HIDE your wallet!" or, more likely,"Buy 'em both!", or all... )

Walmart has the NITE IZE 3 led drop in unit for about $5. Lowe's hardware has the Nite Ize and clickie tailcap switch for about $9.
That is a good place to start. I sort of like the Nite Ize clickie better than the Kroll. The head is a bit loose, due to the difference in reflector length, I think, but not much of a problem, and you could use Green LED's solution of putting teflon tape on the head threads.
If you use the led drop in, with no tailcap switch, it takes only 1/4 turn of the head or less, to turn the light on or off, with no focus to mess with. I can't say about run time... my wife's, granddaughter's, friend's and my Nite Ize MMags are still on their first sets of batteries.

Next, Lambda sells a killer SUPER MJLED kit, or just the led. He is good to deal with. :thumbsup: His figures show 35 hours run time on alkalines to 1/2 power. I haven't mounted mine yet, all my other Mini Mags and Quest flashlights have been modded. I now have the SMJLED kit, an SMJLED, and an MJLED as back ups. Maybe I need to buy some more MMags....

I'm trying to figure out how to use the SMJLED in a military angle head flashlight. Orrr....Target has a sharp looking and inexpensive headlight, which is just the thing to mod with an MJ or SMJLED.

The Sandwich Shoppe also has a good selection of exotic solutions, which a lot of members like.

Welcome, sit back and ENJOY... It is truly a Fine and Pleasant Madness.

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened
I like the NiteIze unit for the price. I have a couple of them. Then again, I don't own anything from the sandwich shoppe, so I can't really offer a conclusive comparison for you.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF.

Stick around and read some more. Within a couple weeks you may not think your Mini-Mag as a super light when you see what is out there.

Dan T

Newly Enlightened
Hello I am new to this forum too but have been spending a lot of money on flashlights recently, I seriously recomend the sandwich shop drop in sandwiches, I have a nexgen 750 and it is an amazing improvement on the minimag. You will be able to find a lot of info on these and they require no skill to fit, all the best

Dan

Rommul

Enlightened
sniper said:
and you could use Green LED's solution of putting teflon tape on the head threads.

Could you expand on this. I hate the way mag heads get feel loose when they are not in the off position.

sniper said:
I'm trying to figure out how to use the SMJLED in a military angle head flashlight. Orrr....Target has a sharp looking and inexpensive headlight, which is just the thing to mod with an MJ or SMJLED.

This may do the trick.

http://www.led-replacement.com/ba-1.html

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Welcome Frogman74!! A very happy New Year to you as well!!!

Ditto what a lot of them said. All those links are good stuff!

Something from the Sandwich Shoppe with a LUXIII and a reflector would be my choice right now if something happened to my Lambda Minipro!!!

But if you like your wallet, HIDE IT! Before my credit card got taken away it was scary how fast I acquired stuff!

Also when in doubt, buy both. It's easier that way!

rikvee

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF, frogman74!

Minimags can be made to run for 40 hrs or more on a single 5mm Led, or, at the other end of the spectrum, with a 9V globe and 14500 rechargeable batteries they can rival 2 x CR123 size Surefires.
The advantages are a wonderful variety of colors, availability, low cost.
The disadvantages are a bezel-switch that isn't totally reliable, and a finish that scratches too easily.

My personal favorite is a chromed MiniMag (from CPF-er fivemega) with a Lambda MiniPro sandwich, topped with a U-bin Luxeon emitter.
The tailcap is greased with conductive Nyogel grease, the bezel with Teflon lubricant.
Sleek and shiny body, powerful white light, all good....:)

Last edited:

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Welcome to the forum!

I modded some of my minimags (that I purchased before the financially horrible discovery of Surefire, HDS and LionCub ;) ) with the Terralux LEDs and think they are big improvements. I should probably get some Kroll tailswitches for them. Although in reading this thread Im going to have a VERY difficult time not ordering some SMJLEDs in the near future ;).

Happy New Year to all.