Cool google feature

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dont call me an idiot for not knowing this, but google is a calculator but more!
Like I wrote "260 feet per second in miles per hour" and it says 177.... miles per hour. How long has this feature been available anyway? Its not really a calculator since calculators cant really do this all at once.

carrot

Flashaholic
It's one of those little-known but fantastically useful features. It can understand a surprisingly complex syntax, although I've managed to trip it up a few times (logarithms with varying bases doesn't work yet). You can do normal calculator stuff, and conversions.

I know it's been around for at least a year, probably two... maybe even more.

greenLED

Flashaholic
it's been available for as long as I can remember using Google (almost since it got started). Don't use it much that way, though, as I have a full calculator and conversions in my Axim

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like typing an address like:
100 E Main St, Los Gatos, CA

and then clicking the Hybrid button :)

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably my favorite Google feature is the ability to search for specific ranges of numbers.

numrange:-20 or ..20 will find number less than 20

numrange:20- or 20.. will find number greater than 20

I usually find it most usefull when included in a phrase:

"5..30 lbs" "oat bran"

The above syntax will list pages that contain "oat bran" and "7 lbs", "15 lbs", "25 lbs", etc.

What I miss most about Google is a full functioned NEAR operator. :popcorn:

carrot

Flashaholic
Sub_Umbra said:
What I miss most about Google is a full functioned NEAR operator. :popcorn:

Me too! I've been wanting that feature for a long time... using wildcards (*) works almost, but not quite.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
AJ_Dual said:
What's the "Hybrid button"?
The Hybrid button takes the satalite image and adds the map with street names etc. very nice. When I was looking to buy properties in Phoenix last summer it was invaluable because I could quickly see what was physically around the property that was listed for sale. Was there a strip mall or industrial complex next door or behind or one block away etc.

maker: Thanks for the reference link. It's bookmarked :)

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
carrot said:
...using wildcards (*) works almost, but not quite.
EDIT: Carrot, I just realized what you meant after I posted. You are absolutely right. I have tried that and given up because of the clunkyness, too. :EDIT

The asterisk is undocumented for Google but only works for whole words.

Back when Google limited search keywords to just ten words you could use asterisks to break the limit, as they weren't counted.

"* spy who came * from * cold" "John le Carré"

The above is a dopey example but it did get around the old ten word limit. I think Google has upped the keyword limit to 36 now.

These days I usually just use asterisks to highlight what I'm searching for in the results page. If it's simple enough and easy enough to see I won't have to go to the actual page listed in the results. Try the phrase search below.

"the boiling point of water is * * *"

It will list the answers in Fahrenheit and Celsius without ever leaving the results page. The three asterisks at the end of the query will insure that the answer(s) you're looking for will be in bold so they'll be easy to find quickly.

Last edited:

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
makar said:
ask google:

the answer to life, the universe and everything

and see what the calculator answers :D

LOL pretty weird answer.