The Fenix 123 - the 6 star light

tron3

Banned
Hate to break your heart, but the 6 Star Fenix 123 doesn't exist - it's a dream.
It's my dream which I hope Fenix creates to make a TRUE QIII killer.

Naturally, it is based on the 5 star L1P design.

* R-bin 3w Luxeon LED
* Comes with rechargeable CR123 which tops off at 4.2v
* Uses regular CR123 (3.6v)
* dc-dc regulator
* 3.5" No more than 3-3/4".
* Lanyard hole and lanyard that dangles the light into the palm of your hand.
* HAIII coating (Anything less is uncivilized.)
* User removeable clip
* Magnified glass lens for increased light output
* High/low/off recessed tactile switch. (3w/1w/off)
* Snug holster with flap and magnetic snap.
* Octogonal head prevents rolling while the rounded textured body is still comfortable to hold.
* Crezeled head like the QIII - It just looks hot.
* Submersable at Olympic pool depths.

I estimate maybe a true 60-75 lumen output. What about it guys, how do we make this a reality? I don't care if it costs $75-$100, wouldn't you buy one?

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
tron3 said:
It's my dream which I hope Fenix creates to make a TRUE QIII killer.
...; I don't care if it costs $75-$100, wouldn't you buy one?

Anyone can make a great $40,000 small car or great $100 small flashlight. What makes Honda and Fenix a Honda or Fenix is their ability to make a great small car--or small flashlight--at a fraction of the going price for "great". That's what made the QIII great.

tron3

Banned
Paul_in_Maryland said:
Anyone can make a great $40,000 small car or great $100 small flashlight. What makes Honda and Fenix a Honda or Fenix is their ability to make a great small car--or small flashlight--at a fraction of the going price for "great". That's what made the QIII great.

An astute observation I must say. But the price of the battery and charger will bring the price up. Ok, let's say $75 for the whole she-bang, and $50 for one with no battery and charger. That should excite some people.

Though anyone CAN make a great flashlight as I described, who is actually doing it? That is my point.

Last edited:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe I've found such a light..

* R-bin 3w Luxeon LED - check
* Comes with rechargeable CR123 which tops off at 4.2v - ok, this you have to buy separately, but it's a $10 investment from third party vendors (small fly in the ointment)
* Uses regular CR123 (3.6v) - regular CR123s are 3V, but yes, check
* dc-dc regulator - check
* 3.5" No more than 3-3/4". - check
* Lanyard hole and lanyard that dangles the light into the palm of your hand. - lanyard was optional on this one, they were a bit stingy, but never mind. Can be bought
* HAIII coating (Anything less is uncivilized.) - check
* User removeable clip - check
* Magnified glass lens for increased light output - magnifying - actually you mean collimating to focus the beam for a brighter spot. We can't get more "total" lumens out of it. Just pointing it out. But check - TIR optics function as collimators
* High/low/off recessed tactile switch. (3w/1w/off) - It's missing this one, you get full power and off
* Snug holster with flap and magnetic snap. - not included
* Octogonal head prevents rolling while the rounded textured body is still comfortable to hold. - check
* Crezeled head like the QIII - It just looks hot. - check
* Submersable at Olympic pool depths. - check (though not officially supported)
* Brand name that we know and love - check

Even the cost lands in the $75-$100 bracket although it's missing some of the nicer accessories. Surprised to learn such a light exists?

Presenting.. the Surefire E1L (this is technically an older E1e+Z57+KL1 assembled to E1L specs for its photo, but we are REALLY nitpicking here)..

aay.sized.jpg

Seriously though, you may be happy with the E1L. It does almost everything you want except for the bundled accessories such as batteries, lanyard and holster. I couldn't help but notice what a close match it is to what you want.

PS: Offshoring (like the Fenix and similar to car manufacturers nowadays) would probably bring down the E1L's cost to such a bracket, but the anti-globalization-anti-export-buy-everything-at-home-and-hates-China crowd would cut our throats for even daring to imply such a thing would be possible.

I prefer to think of the E1L's slightly higher price as going towards the R&D needed to sustain the advance of such cutting edge lights. The Fenix stuff is great (I bought 3), but they came somewhat later to the game and while I still like them, I feel their regulators are not up to the standards that some of the innovators here on CPF and in the flashlight world have spoiled us rotten with. A cheaper partial regulator like those in the Fenix would go a long way towards reducing cost too, rather than Surefire's ruler-flat regulation circuit.

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
R-bin 3W LED? :D
The R-bin is a LuxI bin, the LuxIII starts with the S-bin.
R-bin LuxI is more efficient than S-bin LuxIII though.

The light you want ...

McLuxIII086.jpg

McLuxIII-PD

- primary lithium or Li-Ion cells work
- current regulated
- 2-stage output, fully regulated
- HA III
- titanium clip
- titanium CB-bezel optional
- watertight
- sapphire crystal window, optically coated
- head twist for constant on and rear push for momentary activation
- estimated about 50 lumens at 550mA current to a LuxIII
- runtime 01:45 on high and 42h on low (primary CR123)

Problem is ... the price. You want "real" quality ... you gonna pay. See also KevinL's post above. Same thing.

bernie

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix 123 - the 6 star light,
You never know? Just kidding
They only introduced the LOP AAA today