Does the Surefire L2 suck?

livingaboard

Banned
I have been wanting to get an L2 but have read a few reviews that the high beam craps out soon after having it on.

Can anybody with any knowledge of this give me any advice or information?

thanks,

Dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
livingaboard said:
I have been wanting to get an L2 but have read a few reviews that the high beam craps out soon after having it on.

Can anybody with any knowledge of this give me any advice or information?

thanks,

Dave

Sucks is a relative turm. If you just want high mode, you won't like it. Personally, I LOVE the L2. About 7.5 hours of constant regulation on low mode mine do, and 30-45 minutes of partial regulation on high (each L2 I have gets slightly different results on high). So, my opinion says its a great light.....however if you are looking for just long running high output it may indeed "suck" for your needs.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a L2 and it has a great "flood" beam; the beam does not reach very far. I would not purchase the light again because I prefer a further reaching beam.

Flashlight Enthusiast
fieldops said:
357......is that what most people seem to get on high...30-45 minutes?

I don't know, i can't speak for all l2s on the street....we should ask the experts like the reviewers. I am only commenting on my limited sample of L2s

But please note by 30-45 minutes on high, I am referring to the useful light level, NOT the total runtime. you still get miminal to mediocre light after the 30-45 minutes on high, at least I do.

go_to_the_light

Newly Enlightened
I have an L2 and really like it. It puts out a wall of light. Great for lighting up a room with very even light. I also have a U@ which has a tigher beam and throws alot further.

greenLED

Flashaholic
less than 1 hour on highest setting is the most you're going to get from almost any light out there. A lot of lights average around 45 minutes on high. Does that make all of them "suck"? I dunno. If you need more runtime, maybe you need another batt configuration, or re-think your brightest mode.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm kind of torn on the L2 and on this thread. If you look at quickbeam's runtime plot, there is a steep drop off, but it starts off much brighter than the very similar L4... actually, it's about 50% brighter for the first few minutes.

If you are in the market for a light that you can get by using on low, but has a super bright mode you can click into when needed, the L2 is a fine choice. Personally, I'd rather have the shorter L4 with a 2 stage switch.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
Very high overall output--a "wall of light"--draws a huge amount of power from the batteries. Runtime for any WoL light is going to suck compared to a low output high thrower. The only ways to get decent runtime and WoL output are to use an external battery pack or mod a large format light with a good emitter and a shedload of batteries.

For WoL with good runtime, consdier modding a 6D Mag with a LuxV emitter and 18 NiMH AAs. Hand-sized lights aren't going to cut it barring a revolution in battery technology.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I'm spoiled by the U2. I wish the L2 and L4 had more throw, but I understand they need to have wide beams for LEO etc. yeah, those 2 stage clickies are nice going on the L4. I might get one for my E2L as well.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Got no problems with my SureFire L2 here. It does put out a large Bright White wall of light out front and is still plenty bright on low. That's just the way I like it with no "distortion" in the beam patterning. Of course one's very own particular SF.L2 may vary accordingly since these things seem to have a personality of their own one from another. . .Enjoy!

cary

Newly Enlightened
The L2 is a great indoor and short range (less than 100 feet) light. It lights up everything when you turn it on. The U2 is an even better light. I bought the L2 and the U2 intending to sell one, but kept both. If I had to choose, it would be a no brainer, the U2, even for the extra cost.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Personally, both L2(too long) and U2(too bulky) are difficult to EDC for my own personal taste(usually carry them in my front dress pants pocket).

And I agree with cratz2 that I too am more for the L4 over the L2, since I do like the E series for its form factor and it could work with a McGizmo 2 stage tailcap/aleph system perfectly. I don't use my L2 enough(only a min or two at a time, it's a porcupine more for collection purpose) to notice the so-so regulation, but L4 has been serving me quite well when it was called for in the past(regulation seems to be flat).

Also, if you were ever plan to buy an U2 and you really do adore the L2 form factor/simple function, then I would suggest to hold back the buying decision for L2 until you get an U2. For U2 regulation on all 6 levels of light is just purely amazing and it is indeed a good light to own and use. :)

Size15's

Flashaholic
The 'extra' length of the L2 over the L4 is something I really appreciate. Mostly because I find it more comfortable to hold and user but also because it rides better clipped inside my pocket.

I've appreciated from my first SureFire that the highest possible output comes at a price. In the case of the L2's high output I believe it's regulation electronics doesn't so much control the output level (meaning it's in some way capped or restained lower than it could be) but acts to get the highest output from the batteries at any given instant of momentary use. This makes sense to me once I realised that the L2 isn't a high output flashlight with a low output mode (like the A2 for example) - The L2 is a low output flashlight with a high output mode (like the 10X for example).

Al :)

cy

Flashaholic
Surefire L2 is a wonderful light! don't know why anyone would make negative comments about such an excellent light.

L2's fit for EDC is relative to what someone is comfortable with size wise. I sold my L2 because of personal preferance for a shorter EDC. if you prefer a long slim light, L2 may be for you.

performance wise L2 rates up there with 5watt surefires and puts out a wall of light. luxeon lottery will determind your light's final performance.

five watt luxeons requires a larger reflector to effectly focus four dies to give max throw VS a three watt.

comments are valid for my sample of one L2. Performance was aprox. same as L4. L2 has a dumb head and cannot be mated to 1x 123 bodies like L4 can. electronics is inside body making L2 one of the longest 2x 123 lights around.

L2 like L1 has a butter smooth two stage tail switch. It's got an extra long clip for secure carry.

L2's overall quality is top notch or exactly what you expect from Surefire.

redcar

Enlightened
My two favorites are the L2 and A2. I think of both lights primarily on the low level with high if I need it. The L2 on low will take care of almost all the general light needs I have. I also can not express how accustomed I have become to having the L2 (or A2 or old style L1) around my neck and having instant access to one handed, two levels of light. I commonly have the light on low, using the lanyard only, then grab the light and hit the button for a brighter, more directed blast if needed. I am no longer an LEO or in the military and my needs are more general and 'civilian' these days, but if I could have one and only one light I would have a brain cramp trying to decide between the L2 and A2.

I was raised on cheap 2 D cell flashlights, used the old angle head flashlight in the US Army, so I get a kick out of hearing how 'big' the L2 is. I do like the E1L, ArcAAA, my 5 led Peak AA. But the L2 has a really nice feel or balance and I love to use it. I have the square sided model and when I heard they were changing it to a rounded version I bought another square one and put it away. I like it that much.

The beam on my two L2's is absolutely perfect, I can't imagine a more perfect light. The only nitpick I have is the price. But then again, nothings perfect.

jonman007

Newly Enlightened
Recently i've become a bit annoyed by my l2's lack of throw. With all that power on tap on the high setting I feel like it is a bit wasted by not focussing the beam a bit tighter. It just has sooo little reach for a light of its size and power thats all