Surefire Backup Models

sibyrnes

Newly Enlightened
I have been using flashlights all my life but I am finding out I am out of touch with many of the newer models. I recently saw a used Surefire Backup for sale on another forum. After researching the model I was impressed with the specs so I bought it. Upon using the light I was a little disappointed in the performance and have since learned that I have an older model. There is no model number, only a serial number. What do I have here?
21B8B6FE-FDBE-4EED-A3B6-E18F753AF6FD.jpeg

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the original E1B Backup. It's either an 80 lumen or 110 lumen model. I believe if the Surefire logo is the older slanted font, it's more likely an 80.

After this, the EB1 (not E1B) Backup was released with a larger head and 200 lumens max. Followed by a short run of 300 lumen models right before they were discontinued.

Later, the currently available E1B Backup MV was released. Smaller head again, looks very similar to the one you have, but with a knurled body and a floody Maxvision beam. These are 400 lumens max.

leng

Newly Enlightened
I have the Eb1 (like yours) and the eb2 ( 2 cell version), both bought new back when released.

Are you looking for a newer model with more flood or throw?

sibyrnes

Newly Enlightened
I have the Eb1 (like yours) and the eb2 ( 2 cell version), both bought new back when released.

Are you looking for a newer model with more flood or throw?
Not right now. I was just curious about the model I have.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The current model SF that most looks like yours, puts out a genuine 400 lumens of light.

sibyrnes

Newly Enlightened
I think it is strange that the flash light has no model numbers, Patent info, etc, like every other photo of a Backup that I have seen - only "Backup" written on the side. Was that done during a certain time period?

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is strange that the flash light has no model numbers, Patent info, etc, like every other photo of a Backup that I have seen - only "Backup" written on the side. Was that done during a certain time period?
The reason it only says "Backup" is because there was only one version of this when it came out. Later updates that kept the same name added more specific details to differentiate it from previous versions. Such as E1B, EB1, E1B-MV, etc.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Were the early E1B's compatible with RCR123's ? I seem to recall reading about significantly greater output, but pulsing/strobing on that model, is that correct ?

I do know that they are a good candidate for an emitter upgrade, the viable upgrade path was XPG2 back when that was being done.
Perfect match to that XR-E optic, /BUT/ the beam goes from a tight spot to a wide flood.
I had this mod done to a couple of XR-E SF L1's, and I love the wide flood. Different strokes for different folks of course.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a E1B Backup with 80/120lm and a later EB1 Backup with 300lm and the E1B MV Backup with 400lm.

From what I remember the 80lm and 120lm Backup were identically, the 80lm was underrated.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I thought even the first of these models had the TIR optics; can the OP post a pic of the front to demonstrate ?

And yes, the 80 -> 120 lm was just a rerating by SF - sounds like their 80's had been pushing 120 anyway.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I nearly bought one back in the day. Even had an opportunity to fondle one at a Brick & Mortar Authorized Dealer's store. It's iconic in the history of SureFire for all the wrong reasons. This was the very first hand-held flashlight without the legendary SureFire knurling. SureFire unfortunately listened to everyone who complained that the knurling was just too rough. The frickin' thing literally slipped out of my hand, nearly falling onto the glass display case because it was so ridiculously smooth and slippery. Thankfully, I caught it! Immediately handed it back to the salesman, thanked him for letting me get a closer look at it, and promptly left the store.

CPFers back in the day who bought one, almost universally replaced the tailcap with SF's Z68 tailcap; just so they could have some checkering and something to grab onto. This model marked the very early start to the end of the Golden Era of SureFire flashlights.

sibyrnes

Newly Enlightened
I thought even the first of these models had the TIR optics; can the OP post a pic of the front to demonstrate ?

And yes, the 80 -> 120 lm was just a rerating by SF - sounds like their 80's had been pushing 120 anyway.
Here you go:
6262A59B-9D6F-4206-8144-A98D23EAE037.jpeg