AVG any problems?

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Hi!

I have just dumped Norton Anti Virus on my pc and installed AVG as it has a good reputation and appears to be much more frugal on memory?

I would just like to hear anyones opinions on it and any negatives that any one knows of?

Thanks guys

Doug

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run it and like it. Updates automatically every day, its free, and it has a good rep. Nothing to complain about, as far as I can tell.

This might get moved to a different forum. :)

best regards

Radio

Modulated Moderator
Running almost two years here, never a problem, load it on all the machines I configure for people as well as "zone alarm", spybot "S and D" and "AdAware". I also set them up with FireFox as a browser and I almost NEVER get any calls for assistance with spyware or viruses, I also recommend a NAT/DHCP router as a harware firewall, best of luck and two thumbs up for AVG!!

HighLight

Enlightened
I've been using NAV for years. It generally works flawlessly but it is a large resource hog and it puts it tentatcles deep into all aspects of my system. I'm wondering now if it's overkill for my usage pattern. AVG seems to be getting a good rep. I'm going to check on it furthur before I have to pay to renew my NAV Virus subscription again.

mccavazos

Enlightened
I install AVG on every computer that I repair, and I use it myself. I love it. USe it in combination with MS AntiSpyware and do an Adaware scan every month and you are good to go.

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
Another AVG user here, have it on several computers for a couple of years now. I am quite happy with it.

HighLight

Enlightened
I think I'm going to delete NAV from my system and go with AVG.

Last edited:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only thing bad I've read is AVG is not so good at detecting new viruses? I dumped NAV and went with NOD32 but run AVG on my second PC. I think NAV did a good job but terribly slow. I don't mean the resource issue but the time delay whenever I opened a new file, particularly movie files.

I dunno, I run as mentioned NOD32, ZA Pro and Webroot Spysweeper. I'm thinking next year when all renewals come up, I might try an all free approach. I know I certainly won't buy the MS all in one program, forget what it's called. You buy their browser and then pay them more because their product is not secure?

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
iStormy said:
I prefer Avast! for a free antivirus.

Avast! is great. Just always remember to not have you speakers turned up if it finds a virus. haha That alarm can startle you.

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
I also had Norton Antivirus and constant problems. A computer tec friend of mine recommended AVG, the free Zone alarm, Ad-Aware SE personal and Spybot to install on my computer. It is my experience, if you keep them all up to date, you are just about problem free. This has worked for me for the last 2 years. Don't forget a good pop-up blocker for extra measure. (I also use Yahoos pop-up blocker and Anti-spy as a second line of defense) Amazing amount of crap necessary to keep out the sick, deranged and predatory "elements" on the web. Good Luck!

Lightmeup

Enlightened
I've been using AVG for a couple of years. It seems to work fairly well, no real problems. Try to set up your daily update for a time when your internet connection will not be real busy or when everybody else seems to be trying to DL their daily updates or you could get timeouts, delays, slow speed, etc. Also, try to schedule AVG's daily scan for a time when you normally won't be using the computer to avoid performance hits. If I wasn't using AVG I would probably switch to Avast, it's a good AV too. Anything but Norton.

LMU

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I switched to AVG from Avast. Avast had this problem (on my computer) where the server it runs (to sit between Outlook Express and the ISP's server) would crash all the time, then you couldn't check your email and had to re-boot.

AVG is better but seems to have problems with multiple user accounts. If my wife leaves Outlook Express running then I switch to my user AVG shows up gray on the tray. If you open it it says that the AVG email scanner is not configured but nothing you do will fix that. Aside from closing OE on all the other users.

Overall I'm happy with it though.

Greg

Eric_M

Enlightened
AVG user here for the last 2 years or so.

So far, so good.