How long does your fenix L1P last?

my name is fake

Enlightened
on cheapo AA batteries, before the light gets too dim to be usable?

Ive had mine since late november and the light is still doing fine for small , easy chores that dont require major illumination....

And i use mine everyday, averaging to 2 mins per day....

just curious to know...

Macaw

Enlightened
The only runtime I did on my L1P was with a no-name 2500 mAh NiMh battery. It lasted about two hours before fading considerably.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use mine every day, got it several months ago, still on my first Lithium battery.

I can't tell any dimming.

Damn fine light.

Flotsam

Newly Enlightened
I used mine as a reading light one night - 3 hours w/ a very gradual dimming - still more than enough light to read with (and illuminate my side of the room :) ). I was using the cheap Costco alkaline AAs. I thought it would go much dimmer, much faster, but it didn't.

pae77

Enlightened
Hi all,

New guy here. Been lurking for a while. Really like my new L1P which I learned about on this site. Did the two stage mod the other day without soldering, as I, 1) still have to learn how to solder and 2) am still evaluating the mod. Seems to work pretty well so far though without doing any soldering. Anyway, thanks for turning me into a flashaholic.

Back to this thread, I think it would be helpful when discussing runtimes, if people made sure to note not only what kind of batteries they were using but also which version of the L1P, (i.e., 2.0 or 2.5) they are talking about.

Last edited:

my name is fake

Enlightened
pae77 said:
Hi all,

New guy here. Been lurking for a while. Really like my new L1P which I learned about on this site. Did the two stage mod the other day without soldering, as I, 1) still have to learn how to solder and 2) am still evaluating the mod. Seems to work pretty well so far though without doing any soldering. Anyway, thanks for turning me into a flashaholic.

Back to this thread, I think it would be helpful when discussing runtimes, if people made sure to note not only what kind of batteries they were using but also which version of the L1P, (i.e., 2.0 or 2.5) they are talking about.

I actually *dont know* which version of the L1P that i have.:whistle:
But mine is the one with the Fenix wording on the bezel instead of the middle grooved section. dont know whether that would tell you which version it it.

BTW, can you post me the link on the 2 stage mod that does not require soldering? I only know of the soldering mod....

Thanks.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix L1P V2.5 (lettering on flats)
Around 2.5 hours or so with a Powerex 2500mA NiMH AA cell. Have not tried it with alkalines but did take some current readings. 840mA on a cell that has been used for a few minutes to eliminate the initial surge of a hot battery.

pae77

Enlightened
There is no link to a two stage mod that does not require soldering. Based on the instructions in the threads on the two stage mod that DOES require soldering, I just went ahead and flattened the wire ends of the resistors and inserted them through the tabs and folded the wires back over the tabs. In this manner I was able to fit the wires of two 10 ohm resistors through the tabs. With a little wire trimming and bending I got them to fit pretty securely. Then I screwed it all back together and was pleasantly surprised to see it worked as it was supposed to, even without soldering. Remains to be seen how long it lasts though. At the least though it is giving me an extended opportunity to see if I want to make the mod permanent.

pae77

Enlightened
Sorry. I'm having trouble figuring out how to post an image here. I have a picture I could email if you send me a pm with your email.

But basically I just hammered the ends of the resistor wires pretty flat and threaded them through the two tabs and then trimmed them a bit leaving enough excess to fold back over and alongside the tabs so it would hold the resistors in place and hopefully make whatever contact it needs to make. It seems to be working OK for the moment but it probably is not a very reliable long term solution.

liteMANIAC

Newly Enlightened
Mabye if someone could explain how to post sum pics. I would if i knew how. But im interested to see how u did your mod.

paulr

Flashaholic
It sounds like basically the same mod as when you solder in the resistor, except you don't solder it, just bend up the leads so the resistor doesn't fall off immediately.

Impyboy

Newly Enlightened
i have no idea how long my batts run.
the first batt ended up coming out and replacing the one in my MP3 player. since then, it seems to be picking up any 'exhausted' batteries from other devices to completely finish them off.

maybe i should give it fresh batts to test. i think lil Fenix deserves that, at least. :)

Kalinux

Newly Enlightened
I got L1_v2.0...After 4 hours continuous test - around 8 lum.(see pic 1).......I wonder how many Fenix L1 v2.0 are out there????
I got this one from 4sevens´s first group buy, and as I recall he shipped only a few....Note, the logo of L1_v2.0 is not on the bezel(pic 2)

Pic 1

Fen-L1-v2.jpg

Pic 2

L1_2.jpg

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix%20L1P%20v2.5%20-%20major%20cells.png

Around an hour in on an alkaline I can notice quite a bit of drop, but its still useable for about 2 hours, as long as I dont need max power for the task at hand.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
chevrofreak: are those plots all on the same intensity scale (not percentage, but actual lumens or lux)? I was wondering if AA/AAA lights such as Fenix produce less light when using lower voltage 1.2V NiMH vs. 1.5V Alkalines. Thanks.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
There may be minor variations due to light positioning during the runtime test, but yes the initial output is the same between all the cells. I left off the lux numbers because my meter exagerates the output.