Apex optic

vtunderground

Enlightened
I'm seriously considering buying a PT Apex, but first I want to make sure that I'll be able to replace the optic with a reflector. It was mentioned in another thread that the Apex uses a larger optic than the EOS, so....

Does anyone know of a replacement reflector that will fit the Apex?

and if not...

Could someone please measure the width and depth of the optic in their Apex for me?

thanks!

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Apex doesn't have enough depth for a 20mm IMS or a McR reflector, I've tried that but so far I'm happy with the optic, never thought I would say that. You would have to go with a smaller reflector and I really don't think you would gain anything over the optic taking that route, it has a very useful beam like it is just don't go white wall hunting with it :)

Later
Kelly

Skeeterbytes

Newly Enlightened
Presuming you want longer throw, could a Princeton TecYukon HL fit the bill (at less weight and lower cost)?

vtunderground said:
I'm seriously considering buying a PT Apex, but first I want to make sure that I'll be able to replace the optic with a reflector. It was mentioned in another thread that the Apex uses a larger optic than the EOS, so....

Does anyone know of a replacement reflector that will fit the Apex?

and if not...

Could someone please measure the width and depth of the optic in their Apex for me?

thanks!

vtunderground

Enlightened
Sway: Thanks for the info, I think you just saved me some trouble. Does the Luxeon beam of the Apex have plenty of spill, or is it just a spot beam like the EOS?

Skeeterbytes: I had a Yukon HL for a while, but recently traded it away. I was never too impressed with it - the beam wasn't that great, and the emitter had poor heatsinking.

Brlux

Enlightened
Here are some beam comparisons between my Apex on the left and my EOS on the right.
IMAG0307.JPG

The picture was taken from the flore looking up at the ceiling so roughly about 8'. Bolth lights were on their highest output. As you can see the Apex has a much larger hot spot with almost the entire hot spot being brighter than the EOS. Another advantage of the Apex is the 5mm leds which make a wonderful flood light. I really wish I could have bolth on at the same time. Maby they bolth use the same regulator or something but that sure would be nice, maby in a future version.

Brlux

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not familiar with the EOS but I do have the Yukon HL. I'm swamped with ground fog this evening but I took them outside for a look around to refresh my memory and the Yukon may have just a bit more throw on tight focus. The spot of the Apex is right there with it but much larger depending on the distance and much more useable.

The Apex really doesn't have a hot spot like a reflector, it's more like an even cone of light that spreads out into a nice spill which I like very much in a headlamp. The 5mm LED's have a nice flood compared the Yukon with as much throw and better color……

Winner……Apex :D

Later
Kelly

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brlux,

Nice beam shot!

That tells more than what I was trying to say about the beam from the Apex optic, it is very nice and that's coming from a reflector fan.

Later
Kelly

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second what Sway said.

I was thinking about trying to find a reflector before, but after some use I've found the optic to be close to perfect. And my light is maybe the whitest Lux I own.
When walking and looking straight ahead there is one ring in the beam about 2-3 meter infront of my foot (I'm 6'3), this is the only ring there is and doesn't have any practical impact for me.

I'd like a bit more throw when skiing downhill at night, HDS type beam would be perfect... But it's a very good compromise between bright spot and bright spill. I'd love it even more with a LuxeonV, but I'd don't know if an emitter swap would work...

Sverre

PS! Somebody in the SPY005 field test thread put a McR18? (I think) in his Apex, he wanted more spill.

Last edited:

vtunderground

Enlightened
NoFair said:
PS! Somebody in the SPY005 field test thread put a McR18? (I think) in his Apex, he wanted more spill.

Cool, that's good to know. I'll probably buy the Apex (depending on my finances at the end of the month), and if I don't like the stock beam I'll put in an McR18 or an IMS17 reflector.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll have to vote for the optic. I have various reflectors to manage the Lux III photons and for the best compromise of spill and throw the optic is hard to beat. I use this for close up work and reflectors offer too tight a beam. However I find that I give up very little when compared to 27mm reflectors when I need throw for hiking. Keep it stock.