Momentary switch mod for CPF Special.

Macaw

Enlightened
I recently received the my CPF Special flashlight. The momentary switch came with a thin spacer washer to shortent the depth so that the O-ring on the head will not be exposed when it is backed out enough to lock out the switch. When I used a surefire primary cell in the flashlight I found that to twist on the flashlight for constant operation, I had to tighten down the head to the maximum depth and use quite a bit of force to finally make contact. Also with the Li-Ion cell in place and the head backed out for lockout, there was less then two turns left before the head was completely removed. I didn't like this arrangement. As far as this particular light concerned, there is too much travel on the switch for my liking.

I removed the switch and tossed the Washer so that the switch would protrude deeper into the body and that the head will not have to be tightened so much for the primary cells to function. I took the switch apart (the center shaft screws into the press button) and put a ~1.5 MM thick O-ring between the body of the switch and the press button. This reduced the travel of the switch button to less than 1 MM. I now have two full turns of thread engagement left when the head is in lockout mode. I feel more comfortable with this. Further, I can twist the head in a little more and have a situation where light force on the switch will not turn it on while in my pocket, but a bit more force, about two pounds, compresses the O-ring enough to allow for contact. I can in this way have a safely pocketable light where I can use the momentary switch without having to twist the head further in to allow for momentary contact.
Sorry, I don't have a digital camera to show pics.
sigh.gif
I hope that my post was descriptive enough so that illustration would not be necessary. Maybe some else may be interested in this mod.