Whadaya Think - Will SF honor my request?

SCblur

Enlightened
I've got a light that I might need replaced by SF, but I use it every week for flying. If I asked SF to send me a replacement before I send mine back, do you think they'd go for that? Anybody else done that? I would even be willing to give them my credit card for collateral in the meantime. I would just be very inconvenienced without my light for a few weeks. Thoughts, experiences?

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
SCblur said:
I've got a light that I might need replaced by SF, but I use it every week for flying. If I asked SF to send me a replacement before I send mine back, do you think they'd go for that? Anybody else done that? I would even be willing to give them my credit card for collateral in the meantime. I would just be very inconvenienced without my light for a few weeks. Thoughts, experiences?

In my experience, no. Not a chance.

That's even if they have them in stock due to "military orders"...

Good luck though...

JM-99

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, if I was in an established business such as Surefire, and someone other than a major customer requested the same, I'd offer to charge your CC for the amount of the part/light, then would credit it back when I received your defective item.

Other than that, no way.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
think of it as an opportunity to buy another light :)

-David

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
funny you should mention that.

this is a little off the subject, but along the lines of the same concept.

I had bought a conterra trauma pro (emt Holster)

http://www.conterra-inc.com/product_info.php?products_id=11

Before I bought it, I had asked them if a Streamlight Twin Task 3AA would fit in it instead of a mini mag. They said that I'd have no problems.

After a little use, the twin task strecthed out the flashlight slot and the stiching started to come apart. I emailed them, and they said that they would be sending me a new holster and they requested that I send back the old one, so they could take a look at it and improve on the quality of the stiching. They did, and they didnt even ask for a credit card or anything.

This company makes quality products, and with customer service like that, they have a lifetime customer.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Leukos. If having the light is that important, you need a backup anyway.

Scott

pathalogical

Enlightened
What kind of light do you have ? You could buy a second light the same day you send yours off SF. When your original light comes back, take the second one back to the store for a refund. If not you'll have a handy dandy spare, and reliable, second light, which is something you should have for your flying adventures.

SCblur

Enlightened
The light is an A2. I also have a G2 and an E2e, but the A2 is especially invaluable for flying because of the LEDs. It's also an expensive backup to buy. I have a headlamp that I could use in the meantime, but that would just mean carrying two lights on my person instead of one. Not ideal. And, I just hate being apart from my A2. It's really hard, I miss him so much when he's gone.

pathalogical

Enlightened
SCblur said:
The light is an A2. I also have a G2 and an E2e, but the A2 is especially invaluable for flying because of the LEDs. It's also an expensive backup to buy. I have a headlamp that I could use in the meantime, but that would just mean carrying two lights on my person instead of one. Not ideal. And, I just hate being apart from my A2. It's really hard, I miss him so much when he's gone.
How about a red filter for your G2 ? Or would that be too bright for close up work/reading ?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
It absolutely sounds like you need a backup of some type if don't want to front the money out for another A2.

Nope, certainly don't think they would "front" you another light.

If that specific light is that important to your operations...indeed it sounds like you should justify spending the beans for another.

Last edited:

SCblur

Enlightened
well, darn it, I'm quickly being persuaded to buy another light. I knew I liked you guys. Yes....yes....I do need another light.

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
SCblur said:

You only carry one light on you when you fly?

Do you fly a helicopter with no room for a flight bag?

SCblur

Enlightened
coldsolderjoint said:
You only carry one light on you when you fly?

Do you fly a helicopter with no room for a flight bag?

I only carry one light on my person (the A2), but I keep the E2e and the G2 in my flight bag. However, both of those are too bright to be used effectively in the cockpit. Cockpit lighting isn't an extreme essential, since the planes I'm flying have ton's of cockpit lighting anyway, but it's just simpler to use my A2 to read a chart or approach plate, instead of fumbling over my head to turn the overhead light on. In other words, it's easier to move my light to where my chart is than to move my chart to where the light is. :thinking:

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
SCblur said:
I only carry one light on my person (the A2), but I keep the E2e and the G2 in my flight bag. However, both of those are too bright to be used effectively in the cockpit. Cockpit lighting isn't an extreme essential, since the planes I'm flying have ton's of cockpit lighting anyway, but it's just simpler to use my A2 to read a chart or approach plate, instead of fumbling over my head to turn the overhead light on. In other words, it's easier to move my light to where my chart is than to move my chart to where the light is. :thinking:

True.. How bout the dreaded MiniM@g with red filter untill the A2 gets replaced?

Thats only like $10 and should be enough light for dark adapted eyes.. i used to have one clipped to my kneeboard.. seemed to work pretty good.