• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Messed up my Aleph DB 917 with TWOJ LE

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Will, I was attempting to adjust the seating position of my Aleph LE relative to the A19 reflector in my A19 head, and one point while checking, I placed battery, 17650, in body backward. When checking later, for overall output and lux, I noticed that I was getting very low output, and lux figures with a 17650, and a 18650 LiIon (both freshly charged. Previously LiIons, 17650's, and 18650's (TB body) worked just fine at full output. I tried running with two fresh CR123's and output is approximately 1/3 of what is was prior to my attempting to adjust LE/reflector, and reversing polarity. On two RCR123's output is better. I looks like the LE is running direct drive now, not regulating. Poor with one LiIon, better with two CR123's and better yet with two RCR123's, but still not up to spec. I tried LE in my AIII head with same results. I also tried different bodies.

Bill

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bill,
Bummer! The DB like many of the other converters requires mechanical polarity protection as there is nothing at the circuit level to protect the electronics. Your DB917 let out the magic smoke. :shrug:

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, this sucks. It's why I never make my solder blob on the contact taller than the rim of the can. Accidents can and do happen, usually when you really need your light too.