UFO LEDs?

robinhood4x4

Newly Enlightened
What are these "UFO" leds? I'm guessing they're a chinese knockoff...are they any good? How do the white ones compare to the luxeons in terms of brightness and build quality? For my project I'm not too concerned with the true color.

http://www.quickar.com/kufo.php?session=hTmK3faO

Also, if this has been discussed before, let me know, I couldn't find much from searching...just a couple people mentioning it in passing.

rgbphil

Enlightened
Don't know why they're calling them UFO leds....I was under the impression that UFOs go under the other names such as superflux or spider LEDs....those four pin plastic square jobbies....oh well.

These LEDs look similar to leds from www.powerleds.com. I've dealt with them before, good prices and help...as long as you remember they aren't luxeons. From miscellaneous research (sorry I can't remember specific links) I think that these korean/chinese LEDs have a lower lifetime...in other words their brightness drops after less time than a name brand. I've used superflux LEDs extensively over 2 years, and haven't noticed any major problem yet ....then again I don't drive them to the max, only about 70% max and use lots of them in arrays. Fortunately their cheapness allows you to use lots of them.

I haven't used their heatsinked (what they call UFO, not my name) stuff except for the 150mA RGB modules and seperate coloured ones........3W prolites are much better with a wide angle dispersion of RGB light, optics can shape the beam (reflectors better for prolites). Narrow focus RGB LEDs are useless, the beams diverge (my pet complaint). The base colour ones are fine in arrays. I haven't tried out white ones.

In summary, you get what you pay for. If you want a single LED for an application and want to drive it to the max, choose one of the better known brands. If you are happy with arrays etc, then these are ideal because of their cheapness....just don't drive them too hard and you should be fine.

One last thing, if you are going to use arrays, make sure that you use LEDs from the same batch.....there is less colour consistancy between batches with these cheaper LEDs. I don't think that they have the same binning system as name brands.

Phil

PS: The apollo LEDs look interesting, looks like some work is being done on alternative module packaging.....any one used one of these yet? Would like to see more colours.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
A passing comment, These things are wired backwards. They have a single common positive lead and you control them by regulating the seperate negative leads.