Coast Tac Torch

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got in the mail, from a friend on another forum, a Coast Tac Torch!! This light is awesome; wicked bright. But, I don't want to drop it in the woods; with the camo, I would never find it. It is a fabulous light, and $20!! I am impressed. Anyone else have one of these babies?

livingaboard

Banned
TKC said:
I just got in the mail, from a friend on another forum, a Coast Tac Torch!! This light is awesome; wicked bright. But, I don't want to drop it in the woods; with the camo, I would never find it. It is a fabulous light, and $20!! I am impressed. Anyone else have one of these babies?

If this is a coast cutlery product then I would be hesistant to say a great deal of good about it. I thought mine was great and bright and all until I got some other more expensive lights. Just my opinion.

Also I have found that target is selling Eddie Bauer lights that are made by Coast but rebranded. They sometimes use odd size batteries

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own all kinds of flashlights; from SF's to everything in between. Like I said, I was impressed with it, for a $20 light. My FAVORITE LED is the Inova X5.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've both AAAx3 and a new Digi-Tac1 (AAx1) models, so far there're some pretty good units. They fit the pockets of both my jeans and BDUs. I wish Coast would make more units that would take easy to find batteries. If they've got one the would take CR123 cells, I've not seen it!

chiphead

ginaz

Enlightened
i bought one (3xAAA) at lowe's for 50 some. i really like this light, it outperforms my t1, but for 50 bucks it should. where can i get another for 20 bucks?

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Costco sells the Tac Torch 3AAA for $29.00.

dsc01501small3qm.jpg

dsc01513small0qd.jpg

dsc01503small7cc.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's like the one from Costco, I compared one the other day with Nuwai Q3 that I had in my pocket. The output is relatively clean and white, but the output level is a little less than the output from the Q3.

cbxer55

Enlightened
[ I like the bit where it says, water resistant metal casing.

IF[/quote]

True, I just bought one and wondered about that myself seeing as there is a hole in the lens. Sure is a bright little sucker though. In the woods behind my house, it compares itself well to level 5 on my U2, level 5 being one down from the brightest setting. And it is quite a thrower too. I noted in checking out the beam, that the light coming out of the hole in the lens shows the dust in the air better than the rest of the beam. I dont foresee a time when I will be using it under water, so OHH WELL!. Of course, the way it rains out here in Oklahoma sometimes, you might as well be underwater!!??

Last edited:

IonFire

Enlightened
Heya Mr. I-6 :) ( I know, i have a 81' Kaw GPZ Eddie Lawson scoot, first one in my end of canada, have to order from Kaw for parts)

Back on topic.

I brought that up as i have a rebadged version of theirs, is overall pretty decent for what i paid.

Although, the leds are exposed an never was designed with a lense in mind, and the holes around the head, i filled mine with glow powder like someone else here did, works good.

Water resistant as the chandelier in my dining room though.:grin2:

Ymmv.

IF

Redjam

Newly Enlightened
I picked up the $29 Costco model, which is Coast TT7736CP. I am using it with NiMH AAAs as my bike light, and am happy with the results for riding on a dark path at a moderate speed. I get an hour-plus of usable light. I have a couple of twofish blocks on order, and plan to supplement the Coast with some other lights once I get the twofish blocks. With a Brinkmann Maxfire LX as a helmet light.

stopatrain

Newly Enlightened
I have a Coast Tac Torch 3xAAA camo and really like it.
I got it at Gander Mountain on sale for $20 over the holidays.

Deanster

Enlightened
IIRC, there's a V2 version of the Tac Torch which uses 5mm LED's, and the V3, which uses a 1W luxeon - the Costco version is the V3, and at $29, it's a pretty good deal for a lux light.

I got one on a whim, and have to say I was amazed by the quality of the light - great mix of spot and flood, producing a near-ideal beam for real world use, IMHO. Also batteries that can be had most places, decent runtime, in a very nice form factor.

I was shocked at how much I liked this little light - though the build quality is suspect, it's a great answer to the 'I need a decent light to loan/give/abuse/travel with/etc., that's good enough to live with, but not too expensive to give/lose/whatever.'

V2 version is pretty lame, IMHO...

livingaboard

Banned
Deanster said:
IIRC, there's a V2 version of the Tac Torch which uses 5mm LED's, and the V3, which uses a 1W luxeon - the Costco version is the V3, and at $29, it's a pretty good deal for a lux light.

I got one on a whim, and have to say I was amazed by the quality of the light - great mix of spot and flood, producing a near-ideal beam for real world use, IMHO. Also batteries that can be had most places, decent runtime, in a very nice form factor.

I was shocked at how much I liked this little light - though the build quality is suspect, it's a great answer to the 'I need a decent light to loan/give/abuse/travel with/etc., that's good enough to live with, but not too expensive to give/lose/whatever.'

V2 version is pretty lame, IMHO...

My costco coast light is a 1.2 watt single led and it is a V2 lenser whatever that means. It has no regulation and isn't that great compared to other lights.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've come to the realization the it's only the black (tactical) models that have any sort of water proofing. That is to say,O-Rings. The first Coast unit I'd purchased from Fry's was a silver case with no o-rings, I took it back. One more thing I've noticed, that no matter what the battery type, the output is the same...1.25W. Other than that, they're great units and fit the pocket very well.

chiphead
Walking through life at DEF-CON3.

ghostrider

Enlightened
The camo version does have o rings. I think I read somewhere that the cutout in the lense doesn't completely penetrate. Packaging says "water resistent".