Donut hole with my new U2

yves09876

Newly Enlightened
:rant: Yes another another one with a donut hole using his U2...
I'd like to know if Surefire is going to send me another U2 back, did anyone of you have this problem and sent it back to Surefire ? How long would it take ?
Thanks for all your answers,

Yves

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, Surefire will exchange it for you. Tell them the one you have has a dark spot in the middle. Mine took forty days to get a replacement. Many have told me I was lucky to get it back so quickly. People seem to get better response from them if you call them on the phone. I tried to email them requesting an RMA, but the email response said to call them. Hmmpf.

Your chances of getting one perfectly donut free aren't very good. I'm guessing that only 1 out of 10 have no detectable donut. Or maybe they all have a donut, but 1 out of 10 owners can't see it. Here's some related reading:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=99060

The one I sent back had a nice white tint, average brightness, and a fairly nasty donut. Oh, and a busted tailswitch, too. The replacement has a slightly green tint, above average brightness, and very little donut.

You spins the wheel, you takes your chances.

Last edited:

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can't see the "hole" unless you shine the beam on the wall then forget it.

cbxer55

Enlightened
Luck of the draw I guess. Mine is way bright, outshines my M2 with a P91. No donut at all, in fact quite the opposite. It has a super bright, white hotspot at the center, with good spillover. Outside our back door is heqvy woods. Last night we heard some noise back there. Gave wife the M2/P91 and I took the U2. U2 slightly over-powered the M2 and penetrated just as good. I am impressed.

You may have to go through a couple to get a good one. I ordered mine direct from Surefire, and guess I just lucked out.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
If you have a good tint and the hole isn't really that noticeable, just stick with it and be happy. If the donut doesn't bother you in day to day usage (it shouldn't!) that is. This whole nitpickiness is what has turned me off about the U2. I'm going to sit it out and see if Surefire improves the QC on the beam tint/pattern for the U2.

Ivanhoe

Newly Enlightened
I sent mine in this past summer and it took only a couple weeks but I know turn-around time has become much worse. My donut was very noticeable in non-wall illuminating and I am glad I sent it in. The replacement was an entire unit and the beam is very good no donut with a slight purple-blue tint. I prefer it to the

somewhat greenish tint on my surefire l4....

Tremendo

Enlightened
I got my U2 about 2 weeks ago, I bought another I get in today. Mine has a donut, but is pretty bright and good enough to warrant another purchase. I will compare the beams and post info here.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neither my L5 or my U2 had a donut hole, I guess I was just lucky. :shrug:

I would also say that if the donut hole can only be seen upon close inspection by shining at a white wall then maybe you should just live with it. :awman:

yves09876

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your advises guys ! I think I'll try to live with that, the hole isn't so big, I jus was disappointed to see it on a new surefire light... :awman:

Also, I worked severall hours to take that motherf...... piece of plastic insert out and there are so marks on the inside :whistle: so I don't think surefire would replace it now :mecry:

But I take the opportunity of this post to let you know another way to remove safely this plastic insert :huh: :

Finally, as the insert doesn't seem to go out by freesing or with acetone, I had a great idea :bumpit: : I put some Utile plast inside :
http://www.wired-2-shop.com/joneakes/ProductDetail.asp?ProdID=457&nPrdImageID=&CatID=1

When it was hard enough (after 10 minutes), screw inside it (so that the now hard plastic wouldn't sleep out), then put a screwdriver on it and pushed it out with a hammer. After that, put the plastic insert (with the Utile plast in it) in hot water so you can get the plastic out again an re-use the plastic insert. That's it ! :bump: