Newbie in need of a little help

B737Driver

Newly Enlightened
:wave: Newbie here looking to replace a Maglite 2D light. I don't want to spend more than $50.00 USD. I know what light I want, but it isn't being made anymore (SureFire A2-BK-WH) so I'll wait until they make it again. While I wait for that day to come (or my patience wears thin), I will need a light to start off my collection.

The light will be used for preflighting a B737. I want one with a throw that can light up the tail section and yet provide a light for tire, oil leak and engine inlet inspections at night. I won't need it in the cockpit.

I prefer:

1) 2x123A
2) Size, anything smaller than my Maglite 2D :laughing:
3) Incan.

I was looking at the SF G2 or the SL TL-2 incan.. I don't want to do any mods to the light, I just want to use it out of the box. Any suggestions will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello and welcome!

Don't have any suggestions myself, but there's plenty on here who will I'm sure.
I just wanted to state that you might wanna edit your post to include any preferences you have to:

*Battery type
*Size
*Incandescent or LED type.

It'll help narrow things down a bit.:)

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello B737Driver,

Welcome to CPF.

Doug (Quickbeam) and a good review site that allows you to sort on different types of lights and compare their overall output and throw. www.flashlightreviews.com

I would suggest you look up the specifications on the A2 and find a light with similar performance.

You may want to check out the SureFire G2 C2 and e2E, Brinkman LX and Maxfire LX, Pelican M6 incandescent, StreamLight Scorpion and TL-2, and the Vital Gear F2. I am sure there are others, but that should get you started.

Tom

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
B737Driver said:
...I want one with a throw that can light up the tail section and yet provide a light for tire, oil leak and engine inlet inspections at night. I won't need it in the cockpit...
The Surefire G2 is a good light for this purpose. You don't need tremendous throw (which equates to a narrow beam), as the 737 tail is "only" 41 feet tall. The G2 beam characteristics are good for your task.

The G2 is much more poweful than a 2D Mag-Lite, yet a fraction of the size. It's also inexpensive, high quality, very tough and non-conductive. About $36:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_g2.htm
http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.php?Sku=LASG2BK

SCblur

Enlightened
I would also endorse the G2. I have an A2 that I fly with, and the G2 is one of my backups. Very bright, compact, and high quality. I would be sure to carry an extra lamp assembly though, just to be safe. I think for your tasks, the G2 beam would be great. I know you said $50, but if you were considering spending a little more, you might also really like Surefire's E2e. It has a very similar beam to the G2, five less lumens (60) and a beam focus that isn't quite as tight as the G2, but still throws great. The slightly more diffuse beam on the E2e, would help for short and medium range tasks such as wheel and oil checks, but it is hardly enough to affect the throw of the beam such that you would notice it. I own both, and I am consistently grabbing my E2e, and leaving my G2 in the flight bag. (Oh yea, the E2e is considerably smaller)

Anyway, just my experiences. Both great lights though, you won't go wrong with either. Good luck.

SCblur

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G2's a very nice light, but since there's already recommendations for that one, I'll throw in one for the SL TL-2. Great throw and adjustable focus for either closer up tasks or lighting up a larger area at a shorter distance. Good, useful side spill. If you can swing it, an E2E or E2D would be very nice, but 2x what you said you're looking to spend. I got my TL-2 for $41 shipped.

Flakey

Enlightened
Normally this would be when i suggest you buy a "real" surefire not the nitrolon G2 but for you situation i would say .... yeah the g2 sounds like a perfect fit. as long as it is not going to be used in the cockpit the g2 is pretty much indestructible, great right out of the box and totes a very bright very usefull beam. you might want to save up for an a2 aviator though, you say that you dont need a light for use in cockpit but i think once you have an aviator you will end up using it anyway =) get one with red LED's and use it for what it was designed to used for! until you get the money though, the $35 g2 is a great bet. and when your done with it it makes a great gift!

B737Driver

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much to all who have replied to my post so far.

So does the SF G2 provide enough side spill to inspect tire wear, engine fan blades, hydraulic leaks and other fairly close objects without the use of a beamshaper?
The reason I was looking for a light in the neighborhood of $50.00 USD is that it will eventually become a backup in my flight bag to the SF A2-BK I get in the future. :naughty:

Any other recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,

B737Driver

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hello B737Driver!

As already mentioned here, the SureFire G2 would be an excellent choice. You simply cannot go wrong starting off with that straightaway and for the price of under $50.00 that you've stipulated.

There's another well built light found at The Sandwich Shoppe in the form of the Aleph Series. . .But at roughly 3 to 4 times the amount you want to spend. Maybe down the road.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

jercdevil

Newly Enlightened
I'm on the DC-10 and can it the tail engine with no problem with my Aviator A2. I have around 10 Surefires and this is my favorite. Plus with the red led you can use it in the cockpit:) The A2's in the middle.

SurefiresinDC-10011.jpg

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
B737Driver said:
:wave: Newbie here looking to replace a Maglite 2D light. I don't want to spend more than $50.00 USD. I know what light I want, but it isn't being made anymore (SureFire A2-BK-WH) so I'll wait until they make it again. While I wait for that day to come (or my patience wears thin), I will need a light to start off my collection.

The light will be used for preflighting a B737. I want one with a throw that can light up the tail section and yet provide a light for tire, oil leak and engine inlet inspections at night. I won't need it in the cockpit.

I prefer:

1) 2x123A
2) Size, anything smaller than my Maglite 2D :laughing:
3) Incan.

I was looking at the SF G2 or the SL TL-2 incan.. I don't want to do any mods to the light, I just want to use it out of the box. Any suggestions will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!

just a suggesiton....

Being associated with Airline, don't you think Lithium's are a no-no on the flight? especially when we talk about the 123 factor in the pit of a commercial jetline?

I think, it would be great if you could use Ni-MH based lights ... any size like C or AA (if you prefer it to be smaller)

B737Driver

Newly Enlightened
ViReN said:
just a suggesiton....

Being associated with Airline, don't you think Lithium's are a no-no on the flight? especially when we talk about the 123 factor in the pit of a commercial jetline?

I think, it would be great if you could use Ni-MH based lights ... any size like C or AA (if you prefer it to be smaller)

ViReN,

Thanks for your input. I share and understand your concerns regarding the transportation of lithium batteries onboard passenger carrying aircraft. However, I like the ICAO are more concerned with high lithium content cells and large quantity shipments.

There are provisions set by the ICAO that enable passengers and crewmembers to carry on certain approved electronic devices that utilize lithium batteries containing no more than 2 grams lithium content. These provisions also allow an unlimited number of spare batteries that contain no more than 2 grams lithium content. There's a lot more info. on this in the ICAO publications.

Thanks again,

B737Driver

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto what ACmarina said. Just post a "WTB:" add on the B/S/T. I've seen several A2-BK-WH flashlights on there before, and they're sure to pop up again sooner or later. An add might make it happen sooner.

They're not on Supremeco anymore?

B737Driver

Newly Enlightened
Trashman said:
Ditto what ACmarina said. Just post a "WTB:" add on the B/S/T. I've seen several A2-BK-WH flashlights on there before, and they're sure to pop up again sooner or later. An add might make it happen sooner.

They're not on Supremeco anymore?

Trashman,

Thanks for your input. I already have a WTB ad here in B/S/T, but I'm looking for a brand new one in a sealed box. Supreme Co. is out of the A2-BK-WH.

Actually, after doing some research here on this forum, I am hoping that SF makes the A2-BK with the newer rounder body. I prefer the look a little more and it looks like it may be more comfortable to hold.

While I wait patiently for that day to come or I decide on the HA model (whichever happens first), :naughty: I am looking for a "starter" flashlight. It looks like everybody is recommending that I get the SF G2.

Thanks again,

B737Driver

B737Driver

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all that replied to my post. I purchased a SF G2 and I really like it. Now I'm planning on getting a SF A2. :naughty:
Thanks again,

B737Driver