Questions about my new Pelican M6 2390

cazador

Newly Enlightened
Just got my new Pelican M6 2390 from batterystation.com and I've got a few questions for y'all.

- On the body of the light the text reads "Pelican 3W 359." What does the "359" signify? On batterystation's site the pictured one has a different 3 digit number.
- I read somewhere here about a replacement glass lens for this light, from flashlightlens.com. Is it worth it, and will I notice that much difference from the stock lens?
- I'm going to need another holster for it too. Needs to be black, basketweave so it matches the rest of my duty belt. Anybody know where I can get one that'll fit it? I've looked online, but haven't seen one.

My initial impressions are very good. Nice finish and smaller than I expected. I tested it out in my back yard and so far, I'm impressed. I'm looking forward to trying it out at work and I have high hopes that it will do it's job as a back-up exceptionally! :grin2:

Thanks in advance.

rookie

Enlightened
The "359" is just a serial number. It has no significance at all. Batterystation was the company that first nudged Pelican into making a Hard Anodized Pelican M6 with a 3W LED with regulation. Due to a long list of people requesting it here at CPF, Batterystation was able to make it happen. One of the requests was for a Serial number for each light, and ergo, you got #359. I think that there was like 400 made for Batterystation and numbered randomly.

It turned out great and eventually Pelican made the light for the general public and labelled it as the Pelican M6 2390, without any serial number. I think that Quickbeam did a review and found that the regulaton for the PM6 2390 was around a hour and a half before it starts to dim.

Hope this helps.....

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Caz,

you can get another holster with basket weave from www.pelican.com they sell them. If you go to www.flashlightlens.com you can get a UCL (ultra clear lens) for the Pelican which will improve the brightness of the flashlight (it's worth it) and help protect it as the plastic isn't all that great for a lens.

Hope you enjoy #359

Doug

fubar

Newly Enlightened
cazador: did you end up getting the UCL for your M6? If so, was it the thick or thin 'un?

Delvance

Enlightened
I've also got a PM6 3W, although my one is the general public version. I 2nd getting the glass lens. I got the thicker one, thinking it may be a bit stronger/impact resistant. No idea if that is true though, but thick fits in with no problems at all.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
cazador said:
Just got my new Pelican M6 2390 from batterystation.com and I've got a few questions for y'all.

- On the body of the light the text reads "Pelican 3W 359." What does the "359" signify? On batterystation's site the pictured one has a different 3 digit number.
- I read somewhere here about a replacement glass lens for this light, from flashlightlens.com. Is it worth it, and will I notice that much difference from the stock lens?
- I'm going to need another holster for it too. Needs to be black, basketweave so it matches the rest of my duty belt. Anybody know where I can get one that'll fit it? I've looked online, but haven't seen one.

My initial impressions are very good. Nice finish and smaller than I expected. I tested it out in my back yard and so far, I'm impressed. I'm looking forward to trying it out at work and I have high hopes that it will do it's job as a back-up exceptionally! :grin2:

Thanks in advance.

You should be impressed, it is a great light. How are your threads?

-David

NickelPlate

Enlightened
Delvance said:
I've also got a PM6 3W, although my one is the general public version. I 2nd getting the glass lens. I got the thicker one, thinking it may be a bit stronger/impact resistant. No idea if that is true though, but thick fits in with no problems at all.

Did you go with the 29.1mm or 29.3mm version? I just ordered an M63W and want to replace the stock plastic lens.

Dave

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if you pull down the lens selections, you will see the size 29.3, and right next to it is says Pelican m6.

-David

NickelPlate

Enlightened
cheapo said:
Well, if you pull down the lens selections, you will see the size 29.3, and right next to it is says Pelican m6.

-David

I did see that, and on their application chart it lists both the 29.1mm and 29.3mm being compatible with the M6. The description mentions the 29.3mm being a tighter fit, suggesting a loose(?) fit on the 29.1, I dunno. I'm just curious which one/s others have ordered and which they like better.

Regards,

Dave

fubar

Newly Enlightened
I've just ordered the 29.3 (thick) UCL for my 2390 - I'll let you know how I get on.

Justice Inc.

Newly Enlightened
This review of the Pelican 2390 almost has me convinced to go out and buy one. I just need a little more. During normal operation how does the output of the Pelican 2390 compare with the Surefire 6P (with the P60). The throw aspect is not of great concern to me, however the "blinding wall of light" effect is. How do the two compare in this regard.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will go compare it to the G2 in a little while

-David

fubar

Newly Enlightened
Got my UCL, fits good - although there is a slight gap I've tightened it sufficiently to make a good seal, not bothered with filling it with any grease.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Justice Inc. said:
This review of the Pelican 2390 almost has me convinced to go out and buy one. I just need a little more. During normal operation how does the output of the Pelican 2390 compare with the Surefire 6P (with the P60). The throw aspect is not of great concern to me, however the "blinding wall of light" effect is. How do the two compare in this regard.

Justice, the Pelican 2390 3W LED is a very good light -- but it may not be what you're looking for. Carefully analyze the "Output & Throw Charts" at FLReviews.

It has good throw for an LED, but you indicate you don't care about throw. Its flood/spill is adequate, but far from the "wall of light" you seek -- especially where there's substantial competing ambient light.

The SF 6P incan may be a good fit. Alternately, consider the SF L5 if you want an LED with a great "wall of light" flood beam.

I like my Peli 3W 2390 a lot and use it as a pinch-hitter for my SF L5 night-walk light when the weather (high humidity/rain, fog, etc.) mandates a less-diffused beam with a tighter hot-spot (throw). It's one tough all-around light.