Ford Explorer question.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
The switch that controls the interior lights at the rear hatch in my 91 Explorer seems to be located in the door latch itself.

Once a year I camp in the car and would like to leave the hatch open. Last year I pulled the fuse. (The year before I blew a tranny on the way over and slept under the stars - first time it's rained there in July in 10 years.)

Does anyone know where I can access the wire to the switch to put a toggle in?

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
1 - Try leaving it open as is. I think that the light will go out by itself after a few minutes.

2 - on my Explorer, there is a switch on the ceiling light closest to the back hatch; see if you can turn it off.

3 - lastly, I think you can deactivate the interior lights using the rotary switch on the dash that controls the dash light intensity.

cheers

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
What I've done with a couple of past cars is push the latch closed with a screwdriver and the light goes out. Just remember to click it open before trying to close the hatch.

Geoff

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Radio said:
Take the bulb out, I don't think the 91" Explorer had a switch to manually turn the light off or a timer to automatically shut it off. Just pop it out.

It does not and there are two interior lights as well as the side door lights.
Popping the fuse is easier.
Since I may want to turn the lights on at night putting a dummy fuse with a switch on it is what I may do if there is no easy access to the rear switch.

I may also try the screwdriver method.