If you have both how would you compare an L2 to an L4?

luigi

Enlightened
I know they are different lights and I've read the reviews and comments about each one but I'm interested in how a person owning both of them would compare the lights. Which one would you use in different situations? Which one do you like better and why? Etc etc.

Thanks for sharing your ideas.
Luigi.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own either, but I've played with both... As far as performance, they are very similar. On flashlightreviews.com, there is a bit of a misleading 'artifact' in the testing leading one to believe that the L2 is inheirantly brighter than the L4 but I've not found that to be true. Maybe that first 5 or 10 minutes, the L2 on high may be brighter but in general, if you use each for 15 minutes then compare the L4 to the L2 on high, they are pretty much identical. The L2 adds the 'low' capability which puts out a very useful amount of light and in my opinion, the L2 is a 15-ish lumen flashlight that allows for more output when needed.

Unfortunately, the L2 adds substantial length to the L4. The L4 can fit in a back pocket as easily as a Minimag but the L2 is quite a bit longer. Personally, if I wanted a Lux V light with 2 levels of output, I'd get the L4 and a 2 stage tailcap. Plus, then you get to choose how bright or dim your lower level will be.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an L4 which I really like, due to the "flood" beam.

I HAD an L2 (1st Surefire, some time ago); the L4 is smaller, this one has a much better and whiter beam.

The L2 was very green, on low (luxeon lottery?!) and the electronics, "squeeled" (whined) on low, to me, very annoying. I sold the L2 and went to McGizmo Alephs, only recently puchased an L4, which i would highly recommend.

There are others on the forum, that do like their L2's and perhaps my experience was not "representative"??

jeffb

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I have two L4s and three L2s.

I like the L4 with a Pila 168S for my bright EDC. I use my lights at work and also EDC a ARC4x with a RCR123A. I think of the L4 as a small bright flood light. The main reason I use the L4 is because it's small, bright and rechargeable.

The L4 with a two stage switch on low is dimmer than the L2 on low. The L4 with the two stage switch is not regulated on low. The L2 is regulated on low.

The L2s replaced my 3x123 McLux/KL1 and a C3/KL3 as my long runtime emergency lights. In my opinion the low beam is the main use for the L2 not the high beam. I think of the L2 as a long runtime light with the option of going to the high beam if more light is needed.

I did the ceiling bounce test with the L4 and L2 on high. The L2 is brighter, but you have to look close to see it. In actual use I don't think there is any difference.

Leef

Enlightened
I have and use one of each. Differences: 1) L2 brighter (on high), 2) L2 much longer bat life on low, 3) L4 much shorter. You can get a hi/lo endcap for the L4, but it's not a clickie, which I prefer. L4 is an area light, doesn't throw very well. Both fine lights. :grin2:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
the l4 is a better package... you can use rechargeables, you can get a two stage tail cap... etc....

more options

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally like the l4s regulation, but the L2s 2 stages are really practical.

-David

IonFire

Enlightened
This has me wondering.
So many are stating the regulation, now i am confused.
Which will run longer?

A regulated L2 on low Or,...
A non-regulated L4 with a 2-stage tail-cap?

I guess i am asking this to anyone that has both and has experience with this set up like Hoghead or others.

IF

IonFire

Enlightened
Thanks GB:)

So a well resistored L4 may run longer then the L2 on low.

I am trying to figure out, what advantage the regulated (L2) would offer over a (L4) resistored version i guess.

So what is the advantafge of regulation over the resistored (Modded) way?

IF

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
L4 will work with one or two cells and is fully interchangeable with E series lights. I like others like the convenience of being able to choose runtime or size. My favorite configuration is the L4 on E1e body with a rechargeable 123 cell.

Paul

:p