1st Gen. AAA quit working

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbaugh7

Newly Enlightened
I have a first Gen. aaa Arc-p that I've been carring for years, and now it dosen't work.
> I changed the battiery then it worked then stopped again
> I used a eraser to try and clean the bottom terminal still didn't fix it

Is there any thing else I should try ?

greenLED

Flashaholic
use the eraser to clean the solder blob :) then check the crimp and the solder blob (it may be flatten with use and you might need to re-shape it)

tbaugh7

Newly Enlightened
Forgive my ignorance what is a roll crimp and how does one reshape a solder blob ?

carrot

Flashaholic
tbaugh7 said:
Forgive my ignorance what is a roll crimp and how does one reshape a solder blob ?
Roll crimp -- the metal on the head is crimped down to hold the circuitboard in place on older models.
Solder blob -- take a soldering gun to it -- not for the faint of heart or inexperienced.

tbaugh7

Newly Enlightened
Not a chance, This little baby has been in my pocket every day for four years, and saved my butt more than once.... :)

greenLED

Flashaholic
Did you try cleaning the *threads*? :ohgeez:Sorry, didn't think about that before (the neg path goes through the threads also).

if that doesn't work, re-shape the solder blob (with soldering iron) and clean up after you're done with that

Last edited:

trivergata

Enlightened
tbaugh7 said:
Not a chance, This little baby has been in my pocket every day for four years, and saved my butt more than once.... :)

Can't blame a guy for trying........Good luck - I know what it feels like to have your fav go out. The upside is it gives you something to work on without having to buy more parts :laughing:.

Josh

greenLED

Flashaholic
that's a good point, PhotonBoy. You gotta clean both the solder blob and the bottom of the tube (+ the threads)

mridude

Newly Enlightened
Gee.....wouldn't it be great if you could just buy a new LED head from P.G...screw it on the old tube....of course if the problem IS the old tube...you're screwed...kinda.
Seriously though, I believe that the new generation ARC AAA has had technical upgrades in the tube as well...no?
A stainless steel 'nub' has replaced the 'solder blob' at the bottom of the new AAA? Same Chemcoat. I suppose this means that your Blob will not flatten under pressure now.

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the SS rivet is at the bottom of the tube. The positive contact on the head is still a solder blob. (Based on what Peter has said. I don't have one.)

Greg

Mike723

Newly Enlightened
Yea the top contact of the new ARC AAA Rev 4 is still a solder blob.

Christoefor

Newly Enlightened
Read here to try a ball of aluminum foil droped in the battery tube will stop it from flickering, seems to work great! I love Candlepower Forums rock on!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've been using a tiny steel ring that's about 2/3 the diameter of the battery tube in the bottom of my old Arc AAA. This seems to have cured bad contact problems at that end.

Geoff

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think the steel ring was part of a keychain. It is not a split ring. You probably could make one from a piece of wire.

Geoff

tibim

Newly Enlightened
The soldering method is an easy fix. I had the same problem with my ARC AAA. Would turn the head but the light would not turn on. Took off the foam ring and dropped 1 drop of solder on the contact and filed it down to stick out just a little more than before. Glued the foam ring back on and presto good as new.

-tibim

Status
Not open for further replies.